JB's Presser after Kansas | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

JB's Presser after Kansas

Anyone that knows anything about basketball would realize that it was our putrid offense that actually lead to the kansas second half run that took the lead back up from 7 to 16. Brissette started taking prayer outside shots, frank and battle had been driving successfully and then suddenly stopped...

there are games where I cannot stand the zone (like when we got beat by vermont, a team we would have smashed playing man) but this was not one of those games. I actually think this team would be good at man or zone defense with as active and long the players are.

Huh?
In the new era basketball offense, you're 4 or 5 should be able to shoot it, otherwise you're offense will be stuck in neutral.

Only exceptions being you have a dominant post player - we do not OR you have three lights out shooters at the other spots - we do not.

The game is reliant on the 3 and if you don't have 4 players who can spread the court, your slashers get negated by your 4 and 5 clogging the paint with their own bodies and the defenders bodies guarding them.

Sidibe/Chukwu is fantastic if you're 4 is a stretch 4. Moyer can't do anything and MD hasn't proved he can shoot, therefore we will have games where the offense goes through excruciating droughts and everyone saw it coming from a mile away with this personnel.

Have to hope our defense and rebounding make up for it or MD develops more than just the ability to pass against teams that zone us.

Our zone was spectacular. We took far too many threes and graham was unhinged.

Tyus, frank snd oshae have dominant mid range Games, need more of that

kansas shot over the top of it and slammed over us behind it . that was effective ?

I was ok with the lobs. Those aren’t going to work for most teams left on the schedule. What I’m not ok with is not having a spy on graham. If the ball goes into the post - don’t take your eyes off graham. That’s a coaching issue. Make someone else beat us from the high post.

I agree with making them beat us out of high post but a spy? This isn't football. We run a zone. Guys can't leave their areas to follow one guy. Key on a guy, sure. We kept an eye on him but he drained deep shots. Did we leave him open? Yep. A few times.

In the new era basketball offense, you're 4 or 5 should be able to shoot it, otherwise you're offense will be stuck in neutral.

Only exceptions being you have a dominant post player - we do not OR you have three lights out shooters at the other spots - we do not.

The game is reliant on the 3 and if you don't have 4 players who can spread the court, your slashers get negated by your 4 and 5 clogging the paint with their own bodies and the defenders bodies guarding them.

Sidibe/Chukwu is fantastic if you're 4 is a stretch 4. Moyer can't do anything and MD hasn't proved he can shoot, therefore we will have games where the offense goes through excruciating droughts and everyone saw it coming from a mile away with this personnel.

Have to hope our defense and rebounding make up for it or MD develops more than just the ability to pass against teams that zone us.
Because of sanctions, maybe our “stretch 4” is playing for Maryland right now? Pick and pop 4’s don’t come a dime-a-dozen. There’s maybe 5-10 teams that have one.
In any case, at least we can now resume our regularly scheduled “zone vs man debate following a loss” thread, on cue. ;)

You can fault JB for offense and not be a "hater".

Either he doesn't teach it well or we don't have the players to run an efficient/consistent offense.

Well, if you believe we don't have the players - JB recruited them, and recruits to the zone, thus effecting the offense.

How Moyer got a scholly is beyond me. Not just because he's strugglesville out there but because he's a PF who can't shoot. You need your 4 to be able to step out and shoot the three at a respectable clip. Not sure what you expect when you have both the 4 and 5 hanging around the paint with zero ability to do anything on the perimeter aside from pick n roll or pass it back to the guard after they get into the "zero threat" position pretending like they might dribble or shoot.

If you're going that route for defense, your 4/5's better be monsters and while I like our Centers, our Power Forwards certainly are not (holding out hope MD can develop).

Moyer really is concerning me. He had that solid effort against Toledo but he is not giving us much. He's trying but that only goes so far. Teams are not worried about him at all. He can't take anyone off the dribble and as you said, he can't keep defenders honest. I am not sure this will be his year to make an impact. Guess he will still start because Marek's aggressive style leads to foul issues, so starting Moyer helps in that respect. Moyer needs to work on his strength and conditioning even more and yes, try to develop a jumper.

Sidibe needs to get healthy. That tendinitis is an issue. He was a very good dunker in high school. That play in the second half where he tip-toed through the lane and threw up an awkward shot shows he's not close to healthy.

Last edited:
kansas shot over the top of it and slammed over us behind it . that was effective ?

are you one of those posters who thought preseason we would suck this year, then we get to 6-0 and you expected us to beat everyone and go undefeated?

Body of work. This is the last year where sanctions will be a major factor. We have 8 players and 5 are freshman. That alone isn't a formula for victory. We aren't Kentucky or duke who can withstand that. This season won't be a disaster. In fact, I think it will be enjoyable. At least for me. Not up to our standards. But I look forward to improvement going forward. As for Moyer, who was player of the year in Ohio (how was that possible?) I think he is going to have a hard time here if he doesn't improve a lot.

Moyer was POY in Connecticut. He transferred to South Kent his senior year. He wasn't POY in Ohio his junior year.

Last edited:
I thought our offense looked good against Maryland and others. We don’t have great shooters this season but Kansas game was particularly bad from 3. Last season, Offensive efficiency ranked between 30-40, so not terrible because we had good shooters. But yes, we don’t get enough movement on offense. Against Kansas, too many guys paralyzed for stretches and just standing around. They’ll get better hopefully.

Buddy is going to play a lot next year. We will need his shooting in a big way, especially after losing Battle's scoring.

Because of sanctions, maybe our “stretch 4” is playing for Maryland right now? Pick and pop 4’s don’t come a dime-a-dozen. There’s maybe 5-10 teams that have one.
In any case, at least we can now resume our regularly scheduled “zone vs man debate following a loss” thread, on cue. ;)
Exactly. This isn't the NBA. How many 4s like this has SU had? DC and JW. Who else? And both of those guys couldn't hit from outside with regularity until their senior years.

OB needs less three attempts and we need our guards to develop floaters yesterday. The charge rule and the way it's called will single handedly bring back the mid-range game.

Our guards had floaters in our early games. Yesterday they ompletely MIA. Why is the jump stop such a lost art in today's game? Our coaches have a lot of work to do.

It's really important OB comes back next year to be a tandem with Baz. MD's passing won't be effective much if teams just sag off him.

Marek is clueless to anticipating the lob. He was out there for 90% of the dunks. All he does is take the ball out of the net after the dunk.

Buddy is going to play a lot next year. We will need his shooting in a big way, especially after losing Battle's scoring.
I don't think so. Is he going to take Hughes minutes? I don't believe so.

Marek is clueless to anticipating the lob. He was out there for 90% of the dunks. All he does is take the ball out of the net after the dunk.
Marek was playing center yesterday? Because he was out covering the wing.

I don't think so. Is he going to take Hughes minutes? I don't believe so.

It'll be interesting. Depends who is back. Hughes could play some 3, especially if OB leaves. Depth is a good problem to have. Regardless, Hughes might be dynamic but isn't the shooter BB is and we will desperate to have that.

Huh? Moyer was victimized twice and our centers were not good at it either. BS did better at preventing them in the second half.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom