JB's Presser after Kansas | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

JB's Presser after Kansas

Moyer really is concerning me. He had that solid effort against Toledo but he is not giving us much. He's trying but that only goes so far. Teams are not worried about him at all. He can't take anyone off the dribble and as you said, he can't keep defenders honest. I am not sure this will be his year to make an impact. Guess he will still start because Marek's aggressive style leads to foul issues, so starting Moyer helps in that respect. Moyer needs to work on his strength and conditioning even more and yes, try to develop a jumper.

Sidibe needs to get healthy. That tendinitis is an issue. He was a very good dunker in high school. That play in the second half where he tip-toed through the lane and through up an awkward shot shows he's not close to healthy.
Moyer has taken 19 shots in 124 minutes and attempted just 5 free throws. Considering some of those shots have come after offensive rebounds, it would be hard to shoot less. He has rebounded at a solid rate, but clearly needs to contribute more offensively on a team with only three legitimate offensive options.

Moyer has taken 19 shots in 124 minutes and attempted just 5 free throws. Considering some of those shots have come after offensive rebounds, it would be hard to shoot less. He has rebounded at a solid rate, but clearly needs to contribute more offensively on a team with only three legitimate offensive options.

Yep. Needs to score. He needs to play closer to the basket like he did against Toledo. Moyer just passing the ball around the perimeter is not going to work. Matt can't get his shot off because guys are crowding him because he hasn't been able to take them off the bounce. I just hope he finds some sort of niche but Marek is providing so much more right now.

I want so badly for MM to do well but it's not happening.

Yep. Needs to score. He needs to play closer to the basket like he did against Toledo. Moyer just passing the ball around the perimeter is not going to work. Matt can't get his shot off because guys are crowding him because he hasn't been able to take them off the bounce. I just hope he finds some sort of niche but Marek is providing so much more right now.

I want so badly for MM to do well but it's not happening.
I like him and am rooting for him to do well, too. Would love to see the guy we saw against Toledo and really think it's there somewhere. But wow, if you take out the Cornell and Toledo games, he's scored 2 points on 8 shots in 71 minutes of play in his other 5 games.

Matthew Moyer 2017-18 Game Log | College Basketball at Sports-Reference.com

Last edited:
This was the most active I have seen our zone in a long time. Can't completely hate on the D effort. Graham was just unconscious. He Jeremy Hazell'd us.

We need 7-2 bigs who can dunk like Warrick. And not get lobbed over. Ugh.
I'm sure this has been said, but some of those occurred because chukwu was getting illegally screened from behind. Not much to do if the forwards and the refs aren't helping out.

Exactly. This isn't the NBA. How many 4s like this has SU had? DC and JW. Who else? And both of those guys couldn't hit from outside with regularity until their senior years.
I don’t disagree with you but we have had Lydon, Wes, and Hak (midrange) TT (midrange) who all had offensive games outside the post/putbacks.

I am not saying they are easy to get, but it really hurts when both your C and PF have no ability to bring their guy outside the paint unless they have great post up games of their own (Rak/Otis/Arinze/Rick/Fab (RIP).

I don’t disagree with you but we have had Lydon, Wes, and Hak (midrange) TT (midrange) who all had offensive games outside the post/putbacks.

I am not saying they are easy to get, but it really hurts when both your C and PF have no ability to bring their guy outside the paint unless they have great post up games of their own (Rak/Otis/Arinze/Rick/Fab (RIP).

Bourama has a shot out to about 16 feet but he doesn't have the green light to shoot it. He took some 3's in high school and made a few. Obviously, no one is looking at him to do that. I have no clue why we are not using him to post up. If he's healthy, he has a post game. His baby hook is textbook.

Bourama has a shot out to about 16 feet but he doesn't have the green light to shoot it. He took some 3's in high school and made a few. Obviously, no one is looking at him to do that. I have no clue why we are not using him to post up. If he's healthy, he has a post game. His baby hook is textbook.
And if I had to put money on it from the clips I have seen (way less than you) Moyer has a better midrange game than either Bourama or Marek, he just doesn’t seem to be comfortable shooting it. CJ should be his goal, one of the top midrange games that I have witnessed since I started following ‘Cuse in the late 80’s.

And if I had to put money on it from the clips I have seen (way less than you) Moyer has a better midrange game than either Bourama or Marek, he just doesn’t seem to be comfortable shooting it. CJ should be his goal, one of the top midrange games that I have witnessed since I started following ‘Cuse in the late 80’s.

Moyer can make some midrange shots but he has to get to those spots. Playing on the perimeter too much. Square peg/ round hole.

How Moyer got a scholly is beyond me. Not just because he's strugglesville out there but because he's a PF who can't shoot. You need your 4 to be able to step out and shoot the three at a respectable clip. Not sure what you expect when you have both the 4 and 5 hanging around the paint with zero ability to do anything on the perimeter aside from pick n roll or pass it back to the guard after they get into the "zero threat" position pretending like they might dribble or shoot.

What never ceases to amaze me is how people can look at the first 7 games of a guy's career and assume they will never be anything more than that. Guys develop skills as they mature and become more comfortable playing at the higher level...its been known to happen occasionally. The fact that Moyer has been pressed into service this year is more the fault of our failing to land other guys or unexpected loss of Taurean not any sign that he doesn't deserve the scholarship he has.

What never ceases to amaze me is how people can look at the first 7 games of a guy's career and assume they will never be anything more than that. Guys develop skills as they mature and become more comfortable playing at the higher level...its been known to happen occasionally. The fact that Moyer has been pressed into service this year is more the fault of our failing to land other guys or unexpected loss of Taurean not any sign that he doesn't deserve the scholarship he has.

Great post. I *am* concerned his struggles will continue this year but I'm still thrilled he's in the program and I know he will have a positive impact. (Yes, on the court too.)

Agreed. Moyer is just not a guy who would typically see much time until later in his career.

He’s the guy who would normally be on the bench at this point that half the board would be calling for to play more as they wishful thinking themselves into believing he’s ready.

Agreed. Moyer is just not a guy who would typically see much time until later in his career.

He’s the guy who would normally be on the bench at this point that half the board would be calling for to play more as they wishful thinking themselves into believing he’s ready.

I thought he'd be more ready than he's shown. He extremely worked hard in the off-season and I thought he'd be better conditioned. I also felt the year in our system would've made him more ready mentally (as in knowing where to be and how to play to his strengths). He will get it together but might not figure it out this year outside of spurts.

It’s always the same formula. For whatever reason the negatoids can’t wait to post a player’s obituary, regardless of what stage they are in development.
Case in point this season, Frank Howard and Paschal Chukwu join a long list of “given for dead” players, who have “somehow” managed to become serviceable after a couple of years. The instant gratification expectations are dumb, stupid, and unfair to the players who’re targeted.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom