JB's Presser after Morehead St | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

JB's Presser after Morehead St

constantly calling out yourself as the smartest person in the room really just makes you sound like an ass.

(and for the not so quick "press" is used as a double entendre there)

Let's see if I have this complaint understood.

I'm voicing an opinion and somehow you have that converted into me claiming I'm the smartest person in the room?

But re-reading your post, I do admit I didn't pick up on the attempt at humor.

Let's see if I have this complaint understood.

I'm voicing an opinion and somehow you have that converted into me claiming I'm the smartest person in the room?

But re-reading your post, I do admit I didn't pick up on the attempt at humor.
wasn't talking about you townie . some other curmudgeon with a live mic.

so you applaud his presser personality forza . i don't. we agree to disagree.

fifty years as a fan ! how could i be wrong ?

Last edited:
who else is in the 50 club?

These reporters are extremely slow learners. What would cause someone to ask JB a question about why he quit using the press? That's essentially challenging one of the acknowledged best minds in basketball on the game strategy. (And please spare me suggesting it was just curiosity.)

JB's take was that it should have been abundantly clear why he stopped pressing. It wasn't working even a little bit. Why would anyone with half a basketball brain ask him that? Why should the presser have to be made into a Basketball 101 class?

The difference between Babers and JB? Let's see, how about a NC, Hall of Fame, 40+ years, etc., etc?

Babers, to an extent, has to tolerate fools.

JB doesn't and won't. Ask an intelligent question and you'll get an intelligent, direct answer. Why squander this opportunity to ask questions of one of the few coaches that are going to give you a quality answer?
I have a different take. The question was asked with a simple why? Because the person asking the question isnt the brilliant HOFC he didnt know the answer. If he had known the answer he probably wouldn't have ask it. JB is extremely thin skinned as he so eloquently points out in his book. In my opinion that is why he takes many questions as if they are personal in nature vs what they actually are. If he would have simply said it wasn't working so we switched out of it vs attacking he wouldn't come across as such a thin skinned SOB.

Isn't it great that someone with the stature of JB is leading the way by insisting on intelligent questions from the so-called press?

Babers is doing some of the same thing by deflecting the questions, giving answers to the questions that should have been asked and smiling while he is doing it.

But he does it differently. He's a different guy with a different personality. There's no point in wanting JB to be more like Dino or vice versa. It would look ridiculous.

These reporters are extremely slow learners. What would cause someone to ask JB a question about why he quit using the press? That's essentially challenging one of the acknowledged best minds in basketball on the game strategy. (And please spare me suggesting it was just curiosity.)

JB's take was that it should have been abundantly clear why he stopped pressing. It wasn't working even a little bit. Why would anyone with half a basketball brain ask him that? Why should the presser have to be made into a Basketball 101 class?

The difference between Babers and JB? Let's see, how about a NC, Hall of Fame, 40+ years, etc., etc?

Babers, to an extent, has to tolerate fools.

JB doesn't and won't. Ask an intelligent question and you'll get an intelligent, direct answer. Why squander this opportunity to ask questions of one of the few coaches that are going to give you a quality answer?

A question asking why a coach did something is not a suggestion that he should have done something else, unless the questioner includes the alternative in his question. A "Why" question presumes the coach had a reason for what he was doing and the reporter just wants to know what it is. He's not supposed to guess at the coach's intent. That's what pressers are for.

suggestion 1. let the person finish the ? before jumping in. this ain't jeopardy.
suggestion 2. tact and civility. these people are doing their jobs and not here to repossess your house. and yes they have watched the games.

A question asking why a coach did something is not a suggestion that he should have done something else, unless the questioner includes the alternative in his question. A "Why" question presumes the coach had a reason for what he was doing and the reporter just wants to know what it is. He's not supposed to guess at the coach's intent. That's what pressers are for.

At the root of this question, I think, is "Explain yourself" challenge to JB.

And while we can argue about the reporter's intent, certainly JB's response clearly showed that he took it as such. The "Did you watch the game" response pretty much tells you what JB thought.

He believed the reason to discontinue the press was so blatently obvious that no one with any kind of basketball IQ that watched the game should have to ask it.

You can believe this as just a reporter wanting to know the answer to a question. But JB and I don't think so.

I have a different take. The question was asked with a simple why? Because the person asking the question isnt the brilliant HOFC he didnt know the answer. If he had known the answer he probably wouldn't have ask it. JB is extremely thin skinned as he so eloquently points out in his book. In my opinion that is why he takes many questions as if they are personal in nature vs what they actually are. If he would have simply said it wasn't working so we switched out of it vs attacking he wouldn't come across as such a thin skinned SOB.

I don’t think it requires a HOF basketball mind to recognize why they stopped pressing? Seemed obvious.

Just seems like a redundant and pointless question. I mean, nobody in the game thread was even questioning it, I don’t think. Lol.

I don’t think it requires a HOF basketball mind to recognize why they stopped pressing? Seemed obvious.

Just seems like a redundant and pointless question. I mean, nobody in the game thread was even questioning it, I don’t think. Lol.

"Coach Boeheim - why did you stop utilizing a defensive strategy that was routinely being shredded and leading to easy points for the other team?" :rolleyes:

As I wrote elsewhere.

JB simply doesn't believe that anyone who is a professional basketball writer would legitimately ask that question.

It's like asking a baseball manager in the post game presser why he took the starting pitcher out after giving up four runs in the fifth inning and having the bases loaded having walked the last two guys he faced.

There are a group of fans that somehow think the press is always good or almost always good. They like watching it, I guess. Maybe the reporter is representing this group.

The question isnt the point. That is the point:)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom