JB's Presser after Morehead St | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

JB's Presser after Morehead St

At the root of this question, I think, is "Explain yourself" challenge to JB.

And while we can argue about the reporter's intent, certainly JB's response clearly showed that he took it as such. The "Did you watch the game" response pretty much tells you what JB thought.

He believed the reason to discontinue the press was so blatently obvious that no one with any kind of basketball IQ that watched the game should have to ask it.

You can believe this as just a reporter wanting to know the answer to a question. But JB and I don't think so.
You know what they say about assuming.

As I wrote elsewhere.

JB simply doesn't believe that anyone who is a professional basketball writer would legitimately ask that question.

It's like asking a baseball manager in the post game presser why he took the starting pitcher out after giving up four runs in the fifth inning and having the bases loaded having walked the last two guys he faced.

There are a group of fans that somehow think the press is always good or almost always good. They like watching it, I guess. Maybe the reporter is representing this group.
you do realize that newhouse is comprised of college kids who have no professional experience and are assigned to cover this program also ?

Last edited:
It seems that a lot of folks here do not understand JB's personality. He is a straight-shooter and always has been. I loved his comments on why the press did not work against Morehead.

constantly calling out yourself as the smartest person in the room really just makes you sound like an ass.

(and for the not so quick "press" is used as a double entendre there)

what's next ? pulling press passes for failing to "embrace " the boeheim ?
Don't ever change

Yeah, that’s beyond a stupid question. You KNOW why he took the press off.

If the press was working and he took it off and we got lit up and he never went back to the press...then ask that question.

He has no tolerance for stupid questions that everyone already knows the answer to. Frankly, as a listener/viewer...neither do I.
My first thought was did the person see the game. How could you ask that questions if you watched the game.

At the root of this question, I think, is "Explain yourself" challenge to JB.

And while we can argue about the reporter's intent, certainly JB's response clearly showed that he took it as such. The "Did you watch the game" response pretty much tells you what JB thought.

He believed the reason to discontinue the press was so blatently obvious that no one with any kind of basketball IQ that watched the game should have to ask it.

You can believe this as just a reporter wanting to know the answer to a question. But JB and I don't think so.

Or he wanted to include a quote from JB indicating why he pulled the press off despite it being obvious. Because had he simply inferred JBs intent in whatever article/story he was piecing together, JB may, and I stress may, hold it against him later. Possibly. Or maybe not.

Or he wanted to include a quote from JB indicating why he pulled the press off despite it being obvious. Because had he simply inferred JBs intent in whatever article/story he was piecing together, JB may, and I stress may, hold it against him later. Possibly. Or maybe not.

So the idea is that the reporter wanted to write that the press was failing badly and wanted JB to confess to that so JB wouldn't be able to hold the reporters writing that the press had failed against him because all he was doing was quoting JB?

Even you seem to be embarrassed by how far-fetched that thought is, so you have to surround it with "maybe's" and "perhaps" and "possibly's".

Behind that has to be a mental picture of JB as a vindictive, petit tyrant who will hold a reporter writing what is patently obvious to everyone against him.

you do realize that newhouse is comprised of college kids who have no professional experience and are assigned to cover this program also ?

I'm sorry. I thought this was a press conference for a big time basketball program and not Journalism 101 class exercise. When you enter that press room, you enter the big leagues. If you aren't up to it, maybe you ought to switch to English as a major.

And don't suggest that these kids aren't old enough or smart enough to know what a good question is. You don't get into Newhouse by being half-bright. One of my good freinds at SU was a Newhouse guy. As a Junior in college he had a solid understanding of x's and o's and ideas about sports that were both highly insightful and intelligent.

Last edited:
So the idea is that the reporter wanted to write that the press was failing badly and wanted JB to confess to that so JB wouldn't be able to hold the reporters writing that the press had failed against him because all he was doing was quoting JB?

Even you seem to be embarrassed by how far-fetched that thought is, so you have to surround it with "maybe's" and "perhaps" and "possibly's".

Behind that has to be a mental picture of JB as a vindictive, petit tyrant who will hold a reporter writing what is patently obvious to everyone against him.
Nahh, I was just testing to see how quickly the JB emergency defense alert system, managed by townie, would go into high alert.

Your response time was way behind. I know, it's early in the season...

I CAN'T BELIEVE BOEHEIM IS SUCH A JERK AT PRESS CONFERENCES!!!!!

- screamed anew each year for the past 20some years

JB's streak of ruffling someone's feathers with something he says in his pressers is Ripkenesque.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RDembowski

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom