JB's Presser after Pitt | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

JB's Presser after Pitt

From Mike Waters Quincy Guerrier's play vs Pitt not enough to satisfy Jim Boeheim
Guerrier smiled a smile as broad as his shoulders when told of Boeheim’s critique. He said he hears the same from Boeheim in practice.
“Oh yeah. Oh yeah,’’ Guerrier said. “Every time. He’s yelling at me, but that’s what I like. That’s how I’m going to get better.’’

Exactly. If you read that article, much ado about nothing. Quincy is handling it in the perfect way.

His one shot was in and out. It was a great look. I had no issues with it.
Batting a whopping .150 from beyond the arc this year.

Maybe he should try them underhanded - Rick Berry style.

Actually Guerrier has made a three, although he had to bank it off the backboard to do it.

From Mike Waters Quincy Guerrier's play vs Pitt not enough to satisfy Jim Boeheim
Guerrier smiled a smile as broad as his shoulders when told of Boeheim’s critique. He said he hears the same from Boeheim in practice.
“Oh yeah. Oh yeah,’’ Guerrier said. “Every time. He’s yelling at me, but that’s what I like. That’s how I’m going to get better.’’
Wait a second, so there are snowflake Gen Z'ers that actually LIKE to be pushed by their coach? They don't just shrivel up and wilt? Based on comments here you'd think anytime Boeheim looks crossly at a player that player's life is ruined.

Gee whiz, would ya look at that?!

JB might, just might, know what makes his players tick.

Constructive criticism is essential and it’s vital that the recipient is open to it and can self-reflect. But, principled leadership suggests starting with a positive or some praise then addressing issues at hand directly and seeking solutions. Blatant criticism, or being too negative or snarky often isn’t the way to properly motivate. Maybe some receive it better than others, but it gets old as one poster said. Now, if a person does something really bad, then yes, address the matter with vigor right away, but that’s not the issue here. Improvement is needed and pushing people farther than they think they can go is important. I just do it differently at work and it works. Sorry, my take.

Wait a second, so there are snowflake Gen Z'ers that actually LIKE to be pushed by their coach? They don't just shrivel up and wilt? Based on comments here you'd think anytime Boeheim looks crossly at a player that player's life is ruined.
He’s not American.

If Guerrier could accept his role on offense and stop jacking bricks from three he'd be awesome.
I think the guy has accepted his role. He knows he HAS to go after everything he can and brings tremendous energy. I do agree that he probably should stop shooting 3s (unless we're up by 50) which I think he will.

Constructive criticism is essential and it’s vital that the recipient is open to it and can self-reflect. But, principled leadership suggests starting with a positive or some praise then addressing issues at hand directly and seeking solutions. Blatant criticism, or being too negative or snarky often isn’t the way to properly motivate. Maybe some receive it better than others, but it gets old as one poster said. Now, if a person does something really bad, then yes, address the matter with vigor right away, but that’s not the issue here. Improvement is needed and pushing people farther than they think they can go is important. I just do it differently at work and it works. Sorry, my take.
I work with millennials and Gen Z'ers on a daily basis. I teach them as a college professor. One thing they CRAVE without really ever knowing it is to be held accountable and held to a higher standard. Holding them to a standard and explaining to them it's because you know they have the capability is what really drives them to succeed.

I say that they don't ever really know they want discipline and being held accountable because secondary schools in the United States rarely push students anymore. It's all about getting the test scores to a level that reflects well on the district as a whole. The students become automatons, adept at reading and understanding a rubric but completely unprepared for the very real possibility of failure. When they greet failure for the first time it is often a mind-blowing and earth-shattering event for them. I have taught for a long time, long enough to recognize that this is a new phenomenon (within the past 10 years or so).

When they are told in critique and in class that they didn't take what was taught to them and apply it correctly they don't know what to do. They have been so fully trained to believe that if they simply work hard on something they should be handed a good grade. It is simply baffling to them to hear from an authority figure that hard work while important is also expected. The skills that they hone in class need to be applied outside of that setting. If they don't take the criticism and lessons they've learned and apply them to real-world scenarios they are in fact failing, despite their hard work.

Many innately understand this and appreciate that they need to hone skills, and not just do what they're supposed to do (ie - turn in the assignment). They end up appreciating the criticism because they understand in this context it's because you care about them deeply and have every expectation that they can get to a level that maybe they themselves didn't think they could get to. It's the ultimate form of tough love. This generation has almost never had this type of structure, teaching, and expectations put on them. When they realize that it comes from a place of love and caring they end up thoroughly enjoying the struggle and the production that comes from it.

I know that is a LONG winded read, but I felt the need to preface what I'm about to say with that.

Quincy knows why Boeheim gets on him, he knows why he uses the press conference to motivate him, and he understands why the yelling and the cajoling are happening. He understands that coach sees something in him that maybe he didn't even know he had himself. He's understanding the lessons and taking the pushing and criticism in stride. All successful people eventually do. The ones that have wilted under that type of pressure and that type of tough love have rarely transferred to another school and made a mark or gone on to bigger and greater things at the professional basketball level. The reason for that isn't because Boeheim crushed their spirit, it's because they were unwilling to heed the lessons and criticism he was trying to give them. Being soft with them and wearing kids' gloves doesn't help because it doesn't push them to their absolute best.

Last edited:
His one shot was in and out. It was a great look. I had no issues with it.

Yeah, he gets to take one wide open one a game.

If it goes in, he gets to try another.
If it doesn’t, he loses his 3pt privileges until the next game.

Haha centers shooting 3s what a ridiculous concept!
Yeah, Dirk Nowitzki has nothing on Sidibe and Guerrier. Sidibe has never attempted a three before but considering he shoots 44% from the free throw line how much worse could he really be if moved farther away with a defender?

And sure, Guerrier only shoots 14.3% from three but if he attempted 100 threes per game, he'd be scoring at least 42.9 points per game! #analytics

And imagine the levels of HONESTY this would result in opposing players and coaches. Their minds would be so blown they'd be powerless to stop the Orange men.

Don’t disagree, but we only see the public side. Pressers and on court interaction. None of us see the day to day stuff. You can’t really have an opinion on his overall leadership of these kids until you see all facets.

now at work you will have to do it differently because it isn’t a sport, you are likely not leading college aged kids, and competition isnt as prevelant.

Ok was “extremely critical”
And Quincy laughed about it and made sure to comment that he appreciates that JB is pushing him so hard. In his classic book Instant Replay, Jerry Kramer said he wasn't offended when Coach Lombardi rode him, but he was worried when he didn't. Said that when Coach wasn't critical it meant that he didn't feel that player could improve.

For what I hear Q can be a bit of a ball-buster. I am pretty sure he relishes receiving as well as giving.

And Quincy laughed about it and made sure to comment that he appreciates that JB is pushing him so hard. In his classic book Instant Replay, Jerry Kramer said he wasn't offended when Coach Lombardi rode him, but he was worried when he didn't. Said that when Coach wasn't critical it meant that he didn't feel that player could improve.

For what I hear Q can be a bit of a ball-buster. I am pretty sure he relishes receiving as well as giving.
Looked like a teammate was making fun of how he talks in one of his post game interviews in the locker room... he was trying hard to keep a straight face and answer the reporter’s question.

Not related but since we are talking about Quincy, I saw the article about him doing low fives with imaginary teammates because JB does not put anyone there for free throws. Is it true even for the front end of a one on one? Not even to rebound a miss? I have only been able to watch very few games this year.

The whole NBA is going to slender built stretch 4 and 5 that can shoot the 3 like Chris Bosh, so Quincy should develop a respectable 3, may be if JB won't let him he start by shooting imaginary 3s every once in a while.

Not related but since we are talking about Quincy, I saw the article about him doing low fives with imaginary teammates because JB does not put anyone there for free throws. Is it true even for the front end of a one on one? Not even to rebound a miss? I have only been able to watch very few games this year.
Yes. He mimics the low five like teams always do when the ball is in play. Yeesh!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom