Jeff Goodman on Syracuse | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

Jeff Goodman on Syracuse

Both Bell and Benny have a boatload of potential. Both showed flashes. With both - a major jump would make a huge difference in how well year 1 goes for Red. I like the idea of laying out a solid roster through the portal first then you see what kind of hand you have been dealt with year 2 of Bell and year 3 of Benny. Maybe we strike gold with them and the new additions once finalized. There is no doubt Bell has a pure stroke when open and contested along with an effective shot fake and ability to attack a close out for a mid range jumper. He also showed he is capable of defending if he puts the effort into it- same on the boards. Really is gonna be up to him committing himself
True enough, but potential needs to be actualized for this team to have a shot at a 20+ win season. A bunch of hopefullys won't get it done. After the last 7-8 seasons, fans need to see something to renew optimism.

True enough, but potential needs to be actualized for this team to have a shot at a 20+ win season. A bunch of hopefullys won't get it done. After the last 7-8 seasons, fans need to see something to renew optimism.

Right.. it's the same point just focused in on those two guys. JJ can produce just needs to make the soph leap. We know Judah. Westrys question mark is mostly health and his jump shot but pre surgery he was making is clear cut case to be an impact player.

Whoever the next two guys we add are - same applies.

Both Bell and Benny have a boatload of potential. Both showed flashes. With both - a major jump would make a huge difference in how well year 1 goes for Red. I like the idea of laying out a solid roster through the portal first then you see what kind of hand you have been dealt with year 2 of Bell and year 3 of Benny. Maybe we strike gold with them and the new additions once finalized. There is no doubt Bell has a pure stroke when open and contested along with an effective shot fake and ability to attack a close out for a mid range jumper. He also showed he is capable of defending if he puts the effort into it- same on the boards. Really is gonna be up to him committing himself
I'm higher on Bell than most. He makes tough shots, and showcased athleticism with blocks and some dunks. It seems like he didn't have to mix it up physically in high school, so the transition was especially tough for him when he was expected to do it at the next level. Bell taking a big leap and rounding out his game would make a big difference for next year.

Just naming bigs. It was pure speculation by Goodman and wasn't based on anything he knows. It's possible he named Carey instead of Hima because he thinks we already know who Hima is, and we don't know who Carey is yet, but I wouldn't suggest anyone read into it.
Didn’t he also qualify his statement with an ‘if he was able to put on weight this season not playing?’ Did anyone see any evidence of that happening?

Didn’t he also qualify his statement with an ‘if he was able to put on weight this season not playing?’ Did anyone see any evidence of that happening?
Yeah exactly. He'll need at least another year to size up. Goodman was just throwing names out there. Hopefully his skills are progressing in the meantime. He has potential to be electric running the floor in a fast game. It'll take time and it won't be now.

I think the majority agrees he has lots of upside. Griff said he's the most athletic guy on the roster. But most, including me, don't believe he'll be ready this upcoming year. Unless, of course, he comes back with a jumper and can play PF, which isn't out of the realms of the possibility, but it's nothing to count on.
If Carey is the most athletic guy on the roster we should probably just shut the program now. That’s embarrassing.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom