Jeff Goodman on Syracuse | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Jeff Goodman on Syracuse

Hima will be good enough on a 20 or so win team, to get close 24-25 you need a double digital and 7 guy
20 is extremely optimistic. That’s a 4 win improvement despite our center going from Jesse to Hima. Sounds like you are banking a lot on JJ to replace a 16ppg/38%3P. Granted, the defense overall should be much better.

I just don’t think you can get away with 25mpg from Hima and expect to win 20 games. I do think he can be the 2nd best center next year and be very good in that role. We don’t need Dickinson to win 20 games, but we need someone who can give us 10ppg/7rpg

20 is extremely optimistic. That’s a 4 win improvement despite our center going from Jesse to Hima. Sounds like you are banking a lot on JJ to replace a 16ppg/38%3P. Granted, the defense overall should be much better.

I just don’t think you can get away with 25mpg from Hima and expect to win 20 games. I do think he can be the 2nd best center next year and be very good in that role. We don’t need Dickinson to win 20 games, but we need someone who can give us 10ppg/7rpg
I’m banking on freshman players taking a step forward. Experience likely would’ve won 4 more games this year alone, regardless of everything else that is changing (shifting D, new offensive philosophy)

Unless he is standing in the middle of a 2-3 zone Hima is a low major college basketball player

Jesse was a low major D1 player 3 years ago.. but dont disagree hima may be limited

Last edited:
I’m banking on freshman players taking a step forward. Experience likely would’ve won 4 more games this year alone, regardless of everything else that is changing (shifting D, new offensive philosophy)
Yes them being a year older helps. But I’m not sure Maliq, Justin Taylor and Chris Bell being Sophomores overcomes losing the experience of JG3 and Jesse. It’ll help Judah big time. But JJ is an underclassmen from a school that wasn’t very good last year and Westry didn’t play. I am just talking experience only, not player development

Yes them being a year older helps. But I’m not sure Maliq, Justin Taylor and Chris Bell being Sophomores overcomes losing the experience of JG3 and Jesse. It’ll help Judah big time. But JJ is an underclassmen from a school that wasn’t very good last year and Westry didn’t play. I am just talking experience only, not player development
Joe and Jesse's experience was poor. 1 post season in 4 years. People are acting like we are losing players that led the team to success, they didn't.

Interesting comment by Goodman about the possibility of Peter Carey stepping up and being a factor this season. I have not seen anyone recently on the board suggest that as a possibility -- it sure would be a nice (and welcome) development if we strike out on Hunter and Cisse.

Interesting comment by Goodman about the possibility of Peter Carey stepping up and being a factor this season. I have not seen anyone recently on the board suggest that as a possibility -- it sure would be a nice (and welcome) development if we strike out on Hunter and Cisse.

I thought Carey looked like he had a ton of upside in his hs tape but I think I was in a very small minority on here.

Couldn't tell if that was someone trying to name a cuse bench big man or someone who is actually more familiar with our roster.

I thought Carey looked like he had a ton of upside in his hs tape but I think I was in a very small minority on here.
I think the majority agrees he has lots of upside. Griff said he's the most athletic guy on the roster. But most, including me, don't believe he'll be ready this upcoming year. Unless, of course, he comes back with a jumper and can play PF, which isn't out of the realms of the possibility, but it's nothing to count on.

Couldn't tell if that was someone trying to name a cuse bench big man or someone who is actually more familiar with our roster.
Just naming bigs. It was pure speculation by Goodman and wasn't based on anything he knows. It's possible he named Carey instead of Hima because he thinks we already know who Hima is, and we don't know who Carey is yet, but I wouldn't suggest anyone read into it.

I think Carey has huge upside. He’s really athletic. I just don’t know about his impact next year since he missed/was injured last season and missed a year of development.
I agree ☝️.
I do anticipate Carey succumbing to the unwritten rule that freshman (that are not AA types/Duke-UNC) must get raked over the coals by the fraternal order of the ACC referees. It is inevitable. He will foul. He will be in a lot of foul trouble.

In time, he will be a program asset.

I think the majority agrees he has lots of upside. Griff said he's the most athletic guy on the roster. But most, including me, don't believe he'll be ready this upcoming year. Unless, of course, he comes back with a jumper and can play PF, which isn't out of the realms of the possibility, but it's nothing to count on.
Him and I have the same probability of playing minutes that matter this year

Joe and Jesse's experience was poor. 1 post season in 4 years. People are acting like we are losing players that led the team to success, they didn't.
It’s just not post season. It’s end of game. People can trash on Joe all they want but he started in our backcourt for 4 years. He went to a S16. He hit many big shots. That is real, game experience that Westry and to a lesser extent JJ don’t have.

Pistons draft blogger.

Both Bell and Benny have a boatload of potential. Both showed flashes. With both - a major jump would make a huge difference in how well year 1 goes for Red. I like the idea of laying out a solid roster through the portal first then you see what kind of hand you have been dealt with year 2 of Bell and year 3 of Benny. Maybe we strike gold with them and the new additions once finalized. There is no doubt Bell has a pure stroke when open and contested along with an effective shot fake and ability to attack a close out for a mid range jumper. He also showed he is capable of defending if he puts the effort into it- same on the boards. Really is gonna be up to him committing himself

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom