Jeff Nixon | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Jeff Nixon

Overall, calls a great game. Only blip I see, second week in a row he mismanaged clock, with a three pass, three and out series. End of the first half, GA Tech should not have had any time, even with the blocked punt.
I agree. The play calling after the two minute timeout in the first half left something to be desired. Would have preferred a run on first down instead of passing long down the sidelines.

I thought he called a good game. The usage of LaQuint, or lack there of, seemed odd sometimes. His son had a good game, but I was expecting more Allen.

After seeing the first two games.. I am very confident in saying he is a top 5 OC in the college ranks... He might be in the top 3... Play calling is an art.. and he is picasso with a headset and an IPAD. He is putting the offense in OUTSTANDING positions to be successful... clearing space and finding holes in play design.. calling plays that minimize the blitz at the correct times... Always having a hot read for MCcord to get the ball out quick if pressure comes.. Guy is a true pro... Hope we can keep him for a bunch of years.. its hard to find someone this competent in college

After seeing the first two games.. I am very confident in saying he is a top 5 OC in the college ranks... He might be in the top 3... Play calling is an art.. and he is picasso with a headset and an IPAD. He is putting the offense in OUTSTANDING positions to be successful... clearing space and finding holes in play design.. calling plays that minimize the blitz at the correct times... Always having a hot read for MCcord to get the ball out quick if pressure comes.. Guy is a true pro... Hope we can keep him for a bunch of years.. its hard to find someone this competent in college
He has been fantastic. I absolutely loved the very first play call. Under center, straight handoff for a good gain. That felt like a tone setter even though we passed the next 6-7 after.

I am curious how we will respond when teams bring more aggressive pressure. First two opponents aren’t known to get To the QB, but you cannot ask for much more.

Throw Away Make It Rain GIF

I love Nixon as a play caller. But that middle screen on 1st down…….
I need to rewatch that play. I don’t know what that was. If it was designed like that or a panic throw. Definitely way out of synch from almost everything else we did.

I thought he called a good game. The usage of LaQuint, or lack there of, seemed odd sometimes. His son had a good game, but I was expecting more Allen.
Fran spoke about Allen in his post game presser. LQA wants to get the ball on every play, but the staff really wants to use him and keep him healthy for the entire year. I think that means you’ll see Nixon and Willis throughout the year, if only to keep LQA from getting too dinged up,

Fran spoke about Allen in his post game presser. LQA wants to get the ball on every play, but the staff really wants to use him and keep him healthy for the entire year. I think that means you’ll see Nixon and Willis throughout the year, if only to keep LQA from getting too dinged up,
I am going to say something that might be unpopular.. I think LQA is a good RB.. but not an elite one.. He doesnt have the burst around the corner elite RB's have... I think he has decent vision but not elite vision... and he doesnt have great "wiggle in the hole" BUT he has a ton of heart.. he has very good hands.. he can run with power for his size... He is a good back.. I trust him with the ball and i trust he will be where he needs to be on the field. I do not think he is an NFL back.. but he is a good college RB and that's all we need with KM at the helm.. We can win with him and Nixon in the backfield and that's all that really matters

I thought that Fran said he expects his entire staff to be hired away at some point, so to enjoy them while we can.
It's a win/win situation- they'll only be hired away if they're successful, which means we're winning, which means they're worth hiring away.
Hired away, sure, but not every guy wants to be a head coach.

Hired away, sure, but not every guy wants to be a head coach.
True.
If you find a "lifer" who's good at his job and willing to play 2nd fiddle, that's a blessing.
With the kind of money being tossed around these days, I just think it's much more rare to find those unicorns.

I liked how by going for it on 4th down in our own territory shows the team and coaches that they has faith in them. That was a big call to go for it when they had us in our own territory and still got it.

i also noticed a younger guy who always was behind Fran most of the game. I saw some of the coaches kidding around with him after as well. Is he the math guy that gives Fran the %’s or telling him what the numbers say as far as going for it or not? I thought he was asked a question during critical situations like this.

He has been fantastic. I absolutely loved the very first play call. Under center, straight handoff for a good gain. That felt like a tone setter even though we passed the next 6-7 after.

I am curious how we will respond when teams bring more aggressive pressure. First two opponents aren’t known to get To the QB, but you cannot ask for much more.
2 sacks w 85 pass attempts. McCord has had to run only two or three times a game on a called pass in addition.

Combination of great protection, use of hot routes, and quick game.

His son has one more year? I think after that he might want to move on. Let’s enjoy it while it lasts.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseVegas

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom