Jeff Nixon | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Jeff Nixon

Speaking of George, the three man front with the tackles out wide, that was a George D special. That they did it inside their own 20 was nuts.
The wrinkles on fourth and short
FB use
spacing on the OL
All GD

It’s a long season, don’t wear out the tread. Gadson’s snap count was held down to.
Yeah we’ve seen what relying on one RB for 12 games can do. Nixon is a very nice RB2 as well as the freshman who will get some carries as well. Depth isn’t just for when guys get hurt there is a preventative component as well

Huge kudos to the OL coach. I don't think i have ever seen pass protection like that from a SU Oline and i mean never.
He was probably the most questionable hire by Fran and was scrutinized, seems to be working out. I know I wasn’t psyched when he was hired. He’s from the Brohm school though you better be able to pass protect

Nixon has been great, but IMO, we are 0-2 without McCord. As was said above, Nixon & McCord & Gadsen & Pena & Allen & all the other pieces parts are a nice marriage.

Thought things got dicy late. Not sure what adjustments were made. Maybe it was just the drops. Probably just the special team letdowns. But overall, he's been masterful.

Would like to see more running, but maybe that's the nostalgic part of me

He has been fantastic. I absolutely loved the very first play call. Under center, straight handoff for a good gain. That felt like a tone setter even though we passed the next 6-7 after.

I am curious how we will respond when teams bring more aggressive pressure. First two opponents aren’t known to get To the QB, but you cannot ask for much more.
They brought a lot of pressure; our oline/backs did really good and and McCord knew where to go with the ball

Asked the question before game one about what we would see.

Lots of pre-snap movement which is helping the OC/QB make decisions with the headset
Lots of motion during plays
use of the jet sweep
Screen calls

But really a QB that can throw into tight windows makes it much easier to call plays, but we have had guys wide open a ton with some play design.

The vallari deep pass that was dropped just need to be a but wider route and its an easy TD. But the design against that D was perfect

I am going to say something that might be unpopular.. I think LQA is a good RB.. but not an elite one.. He doesnt have the burst around the corner elite RB's have... I think he has decent vision but not elite vision... and he doesnt have great "wiggle in the hole" BUT he has a ton of heart.. he has very good hands.. he can run with power for his size... He is a good back.. I trust him with the ball and i trust he will be where he needs to be on the field. I do not think he is an NFL back.. but he is a good college RB and that's all we need with KM at the helm.. We can win with him and Nixon in the backfield and that's all that really matters
Yep great summation, heart and brawn and work ethic can really take u to a higher level than u might otherwise achieve. He may not reach “elite” status but he’s going to be a leader for those attributes, gonna work every day to reach the highest rung of the ladder he was given/born with. And that’s gonna b pretty damn good

Overall, calls a great game. Only blip I see, second week in a row he mismanaged clock, with a three pass, three and out series. End of the first half, GA Tech should not have had any time, even with the blocked punt.
Think OG dropped a ball on that series….and the way we were playing I had no problem with the play calls.

Fran spoke about Allen in his post game presser. LQA wants to get the ball on every play, but the staff really wants to use him and keep him healthy for the entire year. I think that means you’ll see Nixon and Willis throughout the year, if only to keep LQA from getting too dinged up,
I agree and support that. It just seemed that Nixon was the featured back with Allen spelling him from time to time. I’m glad the days of running our main RB into the ground are over. I’m not concerned about it as it was just one game. Just something that I noticed.

Tread, not thread.
Lol, that makes much more sense and seems less snarky! My apologies, I just got off the road after driving back to Jersey. Btw, I hate PA construction traffic!

I am going to say something that might be unpopular.. I think LQA is a good RB.. but not an elite one.. He doesnt have the burst around the corner elite RB's have... I think he has decent vision but not elite vision... and he doesnt have great "wiggle in the hole" BUT he has a ton of heart.. he has very good hands.. he can run with power for his size... He is a good back.. I trust him with the ball and i trust he will be where he needs to be on the field. I do not think he is an NFL back.. but he is a good college RB and that's all we need with KM at the helm.. We can win with him and Nixon in the backfield and that's all that really matters
I think he can find a spot as a backup in the NFL because he has great hands as a receiver, and a lot of NFL backs are bad at that.

I agree and support that. It just seemed that Nixon was the featured back with Allen spelling him from time to time. I’m glad the days of running our main RB into the ground are over. I’m not concerned about it as it was just one game. Just something that I noticed.
LQA played 63 snaps to Nixons 21

I love Nixon as a play caller. But that middle screen on 1st down…….
It’s actually a very safe play call. Short pass against what you would expect to be an aggressive front. Kyle probably should have thrown that ball at Allen's feet.

Spacing was awful. There were 3 lineman already crowding him. That center screen should be clear of that kind of random debris.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseVegas

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom