Jefferson and Plumlee | Syracusefan.com

Jefferson and Plumlee

Doc5120

Starter
I'm not sure if there's a thread on this. I'm trying to catch up on 2 days worth of reading on this board. So, if there is, my apologies. Anyway...

Why did K keep Jefferson and Plumlee at the foul line? We literally did not guard them. I mean NO ONE guarded them, and they even refused to turn and face the basket, let alone make a move towards the hoop. Neither guy was a threat to score, and it allowed us to keep Rak/Baye underneath the hoop and our wing defenders to remain closer to the 3 pt shooters. I realize Parker is a beast around the hoop and can finish in traffic, but I thought Duke would have been much better served with Parker at the foul line and Jefferson or Plumlee running the baseline. I'm certainly not complaining about it, but I really found it to be a puzzling move.

I suppose the argument can be made that Duke still scored 89 pts, but I don't think it had to do with Plumlee or Jefferson distributing or occupying any defensive attention. I'm curious how other feel about this.

I think K wanted to keep parker and hood out of there to give them more ability to play the perimeter and also go baseline. I think it also allowed them to be advantageous on the glass.

my only guess is that they wanted to spread our d as wide as possible by having up to 4 offensive players on the perimeter. I think this is why they were able to get so many clean shots...and also why they did so well on the offensive glass. they were all sort of one on one jump balls with all of our defenders out on the shooters.

I think Coach K figured it out, but by then it was too late as Parker fouled out shortly thereafter. I expect next time around Parker will be at the line much more often. Also, in the case of Jefferson, it seemed to be a good position for him crash the glass. As for Plumlee, well, he had to stand around somewhere.

I can definitely see both sides of the coin. I thought even if you switch Parker with Plumlee & Jefferson, he's still able to crash the boards from the foul line area. Jefferson got his fair share of rebounds throughout the game playing along the foul line. Having Parker in the middle would have at least made us play him, and probably would have made 2 play one, freeing guys up. Maybe Jefferson & Plumlee couldn't be trusted enough to catch the ball in traffic and finish around the rim, and that was the reason for letting Parker roam the baseline. Coach K has a few more wins than me, but if given the choice, I'm letting my best player sit in the middle of the zone and working off of him.

Before the game I thought Parker would be at the foul line and was shocked he wasn't there much. Watching the replay, I think I see what K was trying to do, which was keep Fair/Grant from roaming out high by having Parker lurking behind them. You could certainly argue that it worked to an extent.

One thing that worked in SU's favor with this set-up was keeping our centers out of foul trouble. I think Parker at the foul line puts a lot of pressure on Rak/Baye. Still think SU should not lose the 3-pt shooters in the rematch- let Parker get his points and keep the others from going off from outside.

I'm not sure if there's a thread on this. I'm trying to catch up on 2 days worth of reading on this board. So, if there is, my apologies. Anyway...

Why did K keep Jefferson and Plumlee at the foul line? We literally did not guard them. I mean NO ONE guarded them, and they even refused to turn and face the basket, let alone make a move towards the hoop. Neither guy was a threat to score, and it allowed us to keep Rak/Baye underneath the hoop and our wing defenders to remain closer to the 3 pt shooters. I realize Parker is a beast around the hoop and can finish in traffic, but I thought Duke would have been much better served with Parker at the foul line and Jefferson or Plumlee running the baseline. I'm certainly not complaining about it, but I really found it to be a puzzling move.

I suppose the argument can be made that Duke still scored 89 pts, but I don't think it had to do with Plumlee or Jefferson distributing or occupying any defensive attention. I'm curious how other feel about this.
I can see both ways, they shot 15-36 from 3 so K probably knows what hes doing. Having said that pretty confident he will give us a different look next game

yea, it is basketball 101 to turn and face in the triple threat postition when you receive the ball, but those guys didn't even turn around. They were coached to look for the open guy on the 3 pt line. Duke shot more 3s than 2s in the game, so everything was geared to overloading the perimeter. I expect we'll see more of Jabari at the line next time, he was unstoppable on a few touches in the middle.

Plumlee is not up to the level of his brothers yet. However, Jefferson was a force - he had 6 offensive rebounds, 5 assists, and only 1 TO to go with his 14 points. He was tough getting the ball in the middle of our zone. He is a nice player, and would have looked real good on our team in our zone on the wing. I thought he had a very nice game.

Plumlee is not up to the level of his brothers yet. However, Jefferson was a force - he had 6 offensive rebounds, 5 assists, and only 1 TO to go with his 14 points. He was tough getting the ball in the middle of our zone. He is a nice player, and would have looked real good on our team in our zone on the wing. I thought he had a very nice game.
Imo two major reasons why duk has risen up to bigtime FF contenders in the last couple weeks, improved play of Jefferson and Sulamon.

not impressed with plumlee one bit . i don't think he even glanced at the basket when he caught the ball.

I like his game, alot. Reminds of Cunningham from Villanova a few years ago, he does a little bit of everything well. Add him and Parker inside, plus the 4 threats outside of Hood, Sulimon, Dawkins and Thornton, and I think Duke is one of the best teams in the country. PG play is a weakness, and they have no pure center, but they shoot it well and are athletic enough to beat most teams, I think they will be there at the end of the year.

Jefferson certainly had a nice game. He crashed the boards and scored the majority of his points on putbacks off of those rebounds. I think he would have proven just as effective along the baseline in a scoring/rebounding role. Although now that you mention he had 5 assists, he must have been more effective distributing it than I gave him credit for. I still think playing Parker there would give us more trouble, but you can't argue with Jefferson's production.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KD95

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom