Jerami Grant Growth Spurt? | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Jerami Grant Growth Spurt?

Not happening. People had CJ and Keita red-shirting -- didn't happen. Have to remember that Grant was a starter on the U-19 team. Too much potential to sit.
his offense in the U-19 games was like zilch.

Ah, there's no guarantee he"ll be nba ready in less than 4 years. People put unrealistic expectations on our incoming frosh every year.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

Ah, there's no guarantee he"ll be nba ready in less than 4 years. People put unrealistic expectations on our incoming frosh every year.

While I agree with your assessment, that he probably won't be NBA ready in less than four years, I would point out that about half to three quarters of players taken in the NBA Draft each year aren't "ready."

And sometimes people can't refrain from saying the borderline insulting refrain of "let's red shirt him". We're talking about a top 50 recruit, with an NBA parent, who is 6'8" and growing, and who chose SU with the idea of limited playing time in his frosh year. Lets not lose sight of that.

The odds are much greater that he will end up playing in the league than they are that he will be red-shirted.

if he can be a 6'10 frosh version of kjo with a bit more aggression- ill take that in a heartbeat.. lets see how quickly he can grow his game while working with the staff.. if his siblings are any indication- he has a high bball iq.. lots to look forward too.. his potential as a weakside shot blocker and rebounder is the main reason i think he is worth not redshirting

@JonRothstein: Syracuse Jerami Grant is now supposedly a legit 6-10. Will be menace in the 2-3. bigger Julius Hodge. via @YungFlanagan

Ummm...holy crap that's awesome.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
so here is a question... has he stopped growing? Kid might grow another inch or two. didnt he just turn 18?

Let's not go overboard. His weakness is on the offensive end and isn't a big scorer, yet. I don't expect much out of him this season and I would prefer he'd be able to redshift ala Cooney.

Wet Blanket Alert! Why redshirt the kid? If, and its a big "if" to me right now, he is really 6'10" then he won't likley be a 4 year player anyhow. Also, if he's 6'10" he likely is the 2nd froncourt player off the bench in front of BMK. If he is 6'10" then I think he is probably the 8th man in an 8 man rotation that doesn't lose much if it has to stretch to 9 for BMK. 6'8 or 6'10 I think some people are selling him short. He'll play. 10-15 minutes. He'll play. We don't need players playing 35+ minutes when you've got a player like Grant available. He'll play.
Rak 24 DC 24, CJ 24, JS 24, JG 15, BMK 9 - BT 30, MCW 30, TC 20.

Some of you folks get way too excited about a freshman being 6" 10" with passable offensive skills and good genes. Please remember that the quickest way to buy time on the bench is to not give JB what he is looking for on the defensive end of the floor. Freshman Rarely have the ability to understand the zone well enough to play meaningful time.

I always figured Grant would play anyway... especially early on. Depending how he does in the OOC games will determine how ready he is in conference play. He will certainly not play ahead of RAK or CJ or even Dirty but if a legit 6' 10" he is definitely coming in as a back up. Very tall front court tho!! How mobile for JB's transition is another issue. Gbilge (whatever) has to RS 1 year ... yes? That will be interesting next year with CJ and Dirty gone.

@JonRothstein: Syracuse Jerami Grant is now supposedly a legit 6-10. Will be menace in the 2-3. bigger Julius Hodge. via @YungFlanagan

Ummm...holy crap that's awesome.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
What is Julius Hodge? ;)

Sent from my Vortex using Tapatalk 2

I don't think he does either but CJ was more ready than Grant is and maybe Cooney too.

I doubt either CJ or Cooney, at a comparable stage, was good enough to play for a U18 USA all-star team. Grant was 3rd in rebounding; scored 5.6 points a game. Shot poorly -- so he has work to do.

Saying CJ was "more ready" is hindsight -- CJ was low in the rotation in November, but got better.

Grant will get his chances. Lots of questions among our forwards and the rotations aren't set. Very different from Cooney's situation behind 3 real good combo guards.

Anthony davis had a growth spurt as well ; )
so did derrick coleman. he and davis kept there guard skills the twins grant also grew late

Somehow we lost our four most important players and still find ourselves with a 6'10" wing as an 8th(?) man who can get out in transition and possibly hit threes. Good time to be a Cuse basketball fan.

. . . Depending how he does in the OOC games will determine how ready he is in conference play. He will certainly not play ahead of RAK or CJ or even Dirty . . .

Yes -- Jerami is growing to 6ft 9, played on an all-star team (3rd on the team in rebounding), and is on a sharp learning curve.
Projecting our forward rotations is an iffy business. There are lots of questions about how much Rac & James have improved, how much Rac will play at center, and how the pieces fit.

Grant has always been an athletic freak however his down fall has been his confidence. He has the body of a NBA player but mentally he is 16. I think this will be the reason he sees limited minutes. If he can fix that this year before the season starts I will gladly eat crow

What is Julius Hodge? ;)

Sent from my Vortex using Tapatalk 2

I love the Julius Hodge comparison. Hodge was all heart, hustled his tail off, and was ACC player of the year.

Given his pedigree and athleticism, if he is that big now, between he and DC2 we may never give up an offensive rebound when they are on the floor together.
Yeah, this is the sequence of events that Anthony Davis went through. Shorter forward who developed a solid overall game... only to have a massive growth spurt.

Yeah, this is the sequence of events that Anthony Davis went through. Shorter forward who developed a solid overall game... only to have a massive growth spurt.
I seem to remember him being a PG through most of his life up until the growth spurt?

I seem to remember him being a PG through most of his life up until the growth spurt?
Think so, but that was further back. There should be no more questions about the tools, only the carpenter. JG needs to want it.

Think so, but that was further back. There should be no more questions about the tools, only the carpenter. JG needs to want it.

given the family history, hard work and lunchpailing it every day is a family tradition so this shouldnt be an issue

I watched Grant play on TV a few times last year, and I think this kid is going to be a great "4" for us. He's got the kind of mobility / athleticism that JB loves, and the versatility to play inside and outside.

He probably won't play a ton his freshman year [I envision MCW type of minutes in year 1 for Jerami], but there is no doubt in my mind that he's going to be a great player in our system.

Given his pedigree and athleticism, if he is that big now, between he and DC2 we may never give up an offensive rebound when they are on the floor together.
The zone will almost always give up offensive rebounds. It lacks contact with the offensive players to know whom to box out. And when 2 or 3 guys leak out for fast breaks, leaves fewer defenders to grab rebounds versus the offensive team.

The zone will almost always give up offensive rebounds. It lacks contact with the offensive players to know whom to box out. And when 2 or 3 guys leak out for fast breaks, leaves fewer defenders to grab rebounds versus the offensive team.

Especially true when you consider the zone dares people to chuck threes over the top, and when those miss, it typically causes the ball to carom farther away from the hoop. And if the guards are leaking out to run, as JB tends to do, then you give up those boards as well.

I doubt either CJ or Cooney, at a comparable stage, was good enough to play for a U18 USA all-star team. Grant was 3rd in rebounding; scored 5.6 points a game. Shot poorly -- so he has work to do.
I guess I need to remind you...

Cooney WAS on the 2010 Team USA U18 all star team and was the 5th leading scorer. Also on the team were: Kyrie Irving, Vander Blue, Austin Rivers, Patric Young, Lebryan Nash, Quincy Miller, Abdul Gaddy.
http://www.usabasketball.com/mens/u18/10_mu18_team.html