Jermaine lawrence | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Jermaine lawrence

Thinking about it, its my neck of the woods...lot of cuse targets are in it
Absolutely, and it raises money for a good cause

reedny,
It's my understanding that we have no shot at Walker and are not looking at him. If there is mutual interest it would be great news. Maybe Paulie or Francis can update.

Ok, yeah it seemed like he was staying in Florida unless D League U came calling.

Francis, do we have any shot at Lawrence? Not sure what the landscape is going to look like in 2 years... X-Mas (or even DC2) may be gone by then. Either way, we could always use rebounding and shot blocking at the 4.

not sure if this has been posted:

thax, garbs. HS this kid can handle and move for a 6'9" forward. There's going to be a long line for his services.

Well...I want him in Orange.

Jon Rothstein@JonRothstein
Word is Rutgers, St. John's, and Cincinnati are all in strong position with 2013 New Rens forward Jermaine Lawrence...

Sounds about right thats what ive been hearing also. With cj and jerami being here still it makes sense. But for 2014 theres a lot of good wings out there and well be able to offer a lot of pt

isn't Jon Rothstein the dipshit who said C.J. to the NBA? I just can't fathom a player of this quality going to a POS school just to be the guy, when he could be a great starter at much better schools.

isn't Jon Rothstein the dipshit who said C.J. to the NBA? I just can't fathom a player of this quality going to a POS school just to be the guy, when he could be a great starter at much better schools.

A little harsh on our BE brethren, but I agree. Why would a kid with a handle, a mid-range jumper and a 6'10" inch frame: a) be considering Rutgirls or St. Johns (at either of which he'd play C); or 2) be worried about 2 small forwards at the 'Cuse, one of whom will be a senior when he comes in.

A little harsh on our BE brethren, but I agree. Why would a kid with a handle, a mid-range jumper and a 6'10" inch frame: a) be considering Rutgirls or St. Johns (at either of which he'd play C); or 2) be worried about 2 small forwards at the 'Cuse, one of whom will be a senior when he comes in.
Yeah I'd be shocked if he ended up at any of those 3 crap programs. Seems like a kid we SHOULD be getting but for some reason we're not getting a lot of traction.

Hoping for one of those we don't hear a lot about, and then we get a commitment from. This kid's at the top of my want list, slightly above Dakari. I think he's going to be the real deal.

Grant is a solid 6'8

Ok, maybe he's grown. But that doesn't change much. 6'8" 200 doesn't get it done as a PF in the BE -- unless you like getting humped on the glass. There are exceptions to that -- Shane Behanon for one -- but he's a Jerome Lane type guy -- very very strong and easily 250-260. Grant's nowhere near as strong or thick -- he's a 3.

Don't get me wrong, i like Grant's game -- smooth, rangy forward that can slash and score. He's a perfect fit for JB's system ... but he's not going to give us the eraser/off-the-ball shot blocker we need inside. I think X-mas is that guy ... once the light goes on.

Ok, maybe he's grown. But that doesn't change much. 6'8" 200 doesn't get it done as a PF in the BE -- unless you like getting humped on the glass. There are exceptions to that -- Shane Behanon for one -- but he's a Jerome Lane type guy -- very very strong and easily 250-260. Grant's nowhere near as strong or thick -- he's a 3.

Don't get me wrong, i like Grant's game -- smooth, rangy forward that can slash and score. He's a perfect fit for JB's system ... but he's not going to give us the eraser/off-the-ball shot blocker we need inside. I think X-mas is that guy ... once the light goes on.
Warrick?

Warrick?

Warrick was Mr. extendo -- very long arms and tremendous reach. He came in at 6'8, but by the time he was a senior, he was 220 pounds and closer to 6'9, which is X-Mas' size.

Here's Hakim's listing (6'9) with the Suns: http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/players/3945 This was his listed height when he was drafted in June after his senior year at SU. http://www.draftexpress.com/profile/Hakim-Warrick-42/

But back to the point -- maybe Grant's length will give him a rebounding edge -- who knows because he hasn't played against BE level talent. CJ was a surprise playing out of position at the 4 ... very crafty. That said, with both of our bigs underperforming on the glass, RB numbers suffered, costing us critical possessions. At the elite level in college ball, it seems like you need not 1, but 2, big bodies inside or you get worked on the glass. Maybe X-Mas and DC2 will finally give us the twin towers we havn't had since Coleman and Seikely left -- we'll see in the fall.

In the meantime, in case you're wondering if CJ or Grant can match Warrick's length, here's a vid you might want to check out.

Grant's wingspan is 7'2 and he's very athletic. I think he can be very effective on the boards and as a shot blocker. It's all on him to keep that motor running and consistently bring his A game.

Grant's wingspan is 7'2 and he's very athletic. I think he can be very effective on the boards and as a shot blocker. It's all on him to keep that motor running and consistently bring his A game.

I saw Grant play and really liked his game - nice looking shot/release, decent handle and surprisingly good defender. If I remember I think Anya was the center and he was doing most of the rebounding, so it was hard to evaluate Grant's effectiveness on the glass. But as you heard many times last season, we need help on the boards. I'm betting that DC2 is going to be a load inside -- I think he had 10 or 12 RB's in the McDonalds game. Next to him, does X-Mas finally explode? ... He certainly has the length to rebound, score on putbacks, block shots, etc...

Whether or not X-mas starts to deliver, there will still be some minutes at the 4 ... maybe Grant could help there so that JB can keep CJ on the floor.

I saw Grant play and really liked his game - nice looking shot/release, decent handle and surprisingly good defender. If I remember I think Anya was the center and he was doing most of the rebounding, so it was hard to evaluate Grant's effectiveness on the glass. But as you heard many times last season, we need help on the boards. I'm betting that DC2 is going to be a load inside -- I think he had 10 or 12 RB's in the McDonalds game. Next to him, does X-Mas finally explode? ... He certainly has the length to rebound, score on putbacks, block shots, etc...

Whether or not X-mas starts to deliver, there will still be some minutes at the 4 ... maybe Grant could help there so that JB can keep CJ on the floor.
Rak stepping up at the 4 on the wing will definitely be a major key. Our rebounding should be very good with DC2, Rak and CJ. My comments about Grant was mainly about his upside for the future, since I don't see him getting much meaningful minutes next year.

I hope he develops the weakside help that made Wes Johnson such a good shot blocker for SU.

I hope he develops the weakside help that made Wes Johnson such a good shot blocker for SU.
That's what I was thinking of if he can reach his full potential. He definitely has the ability to do so.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom