Jermaine lawrence | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

Jermaine lawrence

RF, I agree with you. They may be looking to land a 5* in the '14 class in the center position. If you can't get a 4 or 5* this coming year at center, why not take a kid who is under the radar and could be a solid 4 year player. Don't think that Baye was that highly rated but is quality depth, which every team needs.

Obokoh is definitely good enough to play at SU imho. My opinion is based off watching him three times already.

ok, who would you compare him to on the current roster as far as PT and production?

my point is that i'd rather see SU go after a more talented player, regardless of position, like coach cal does.

chino is an undersized center at 6'9, 205. i see him having a role similar to baye, and baye is the 9th, possibly 8th, man next year.

i'd rather boeheim go hard after ennis, lawrence, jefferson, wainright, roberson, walker, and anya. and yes, i understand that role players are important, and that SU won't get all 7 guys i named.

my point is that i'd rather see SU go after a more talented player, regardless of position, like coach cal does.

chino is an undersized center at 6'9, 205. i see him having a role similar to baye, and baye is the 9th, possibly 8th, man next year.

i'd rather boeheim go hard after ennis, lawrence, jefferson, wainright, roberson, walker, and anya. and yes, i understand that role players are important, and that SU won't get all 7 guys i named.
If you want Syracuse to recruit more like Coach Cal, you're gonna have a bad time. We can't compete like that especially with the plethora of other teams competing for the same top talent. Focusing our energy on a few of the more attainable top talent(Ennis) in addition to finding key role players like we have in the past is much more reasonable and in the long run will be more successful for this program.

Francis, you've seen Okoboh play a few times. How does his game compare to Baye? Sounds from descriptions that he might have more upside potential than Baye. After seeing Baye for 2 years now, he has relatively poor hands which limit his rebounding abilities, and still has limited offensive abilities. Sounds like Okoboh may have good hands and can rebound. Also, he stated he made a few 3 pointers last season. Haven't seen Baye take a shot outside of 5 feet from the basket. Baye has a great motor and can defend in the paint but don't see much else to his game.

does anyone know the big east rule on scholarship offers? i know in the sec coaches can make as many offers as they want, which i think is a big advantage. but i notice that SU makes maybe 7 or 8 offers (compared to cal's 17 and billy donovan's 22) per year. i wonder if there's a specific limit on big east teams.

And you know they aren't going after those guys how? You think the strategy should be to not develope relationshops with 2nd or 3rd option kids until after #1's have said no? You believe you and the Dave Teleps of the world know talent better than JB and crew?

Sent from my Vortex using Tapatalk 2

And you know they aren't going after those guys how? You think the strategy should be to not develope relationshops with 2nd or 3rd option kids until after #1's have said no? You believe you and the Dave Teleps of the world know talent better than JB and crew?

i believe boeheim is starting to go after the top kids. check the 2014 list of potential recruits.

time for SU to compete with the blue bloods in recruiting and winning.

i also want boeheim to make SU a school that all the top kids want to be recruited by.

boeheim is an amazing scout. he was the 1st coach to spot & recruit:

2011: tony davis
2012: nerlens noel
2015: karl towns

i want SU to be a school that can come into the picture late (like uk) and steal a recruit (like cal did with noel, and like cal will do with towns too).

And yet, it has been reported on this board by a reliable source that SU has offered him a scholarship.

if SU were allowed to offer as many scholarships as they want, and were able to take back scholarship offers when a more talented kid signs on, as coaches in the SEC are allowed to do, then i wouldn't mind SU offering to kids like goodluck or chino.

So, the Su coaches think he *can* play for SU.

the good news to landing a kid like chino is to maintain the african connection. that way, baye can help chino and chino can help SU land thon maker in 2016.

That's a dumb point. See: Hakim Warrick, Sherman Douglas, Lawrence Moten, and Arinze Onuaku. The coaching staff does an outstanding job of pursuing not only highly recruited impact / blue chip recruits, but also identifying under-recruited darkhorse players who are outstanding system fits. The results speak for themselves.

Nobody is advocating Okoboh over Lawrence, but your take on recruiting doesn't show much perspective. Especially when we've landed back to back to back McDonald's all american centers.

That's a dumb point. See: Hakim Warrick, Sherman Douglas, Lawrence Moten, and Arinze Onuaku. The coaching staff does an outstanding job of pursuing not only highly recruited impact / blue chip recruits, but also identifying under-recruited darkhorse players who are outstanding system fits. The results speak for themselves.

Nobody is advocating Okoboh over Lawrence, but your take on recruiting doesn't show much perspective. Especially when we've landed back to back to back McDonald's all american centers.

i'm not talking about anyone other than chino. that's it.

i'm not talking about anyone other than chino. that's it.

Which makes your perspective even more absurd. You don't think he can play here. Well, apparently the coaching staff does, as evidenced by the fact that they offered Chinoso Obokoh a scholarship early in the recruiting process.

So who's right--you or them?

Which makes your perspective even more absurd. You don't think he can play here. Well, apparently the coaching staff does, as evidenced by the fact that they offered Chinoso Obokoh a scholarship early in the recruiting process.

So who's right--you or them?

you don't understand what i'm saying. so i'll just drop it.

chino knows how to play the 2-3. SU must like that.

you don't understand what i'm saying. so i'll just drop it.

Then by all means, explain yourself.

You seem preoccupied by internet recruiting website rankings. You advocate the coaching staff only chasing 5-star blue chippers. Well, surprise--the coaching staff is involved with multiple players over the next few classes of recruits that are elite prospects. They're also involved with several other prospects that they deem to be good system fits. So with all due respect, I guess I don't understand what you are complaining about at all.

When Chinoso Obokoh blows up, and ends up with a bunch of Big East / ACC offers, nobody is going to complain if he ends up at SU. If he ends up being a four year player, nobody is going to complain if he ends up at SU. You can't build a roster out of 15 5-star prospects.

Then by all means, explain yourself.

You seem preoccupied by internet recruiting website rankings. You advocate the coaching staff only chasing 5-star blue chippers. Well, surprise--the coaching staff is involved with multiple players over the next few classes of recruits that are elite prospects. They're also involved with several other prospects that they deem to be good system fits. So with all due respect, I guess I don't understand what you are complaining about at all.

When Chinoso Obokoh blows up, and ends up with a bunch of Big East / ACC offers, nobody is going to complain if he ends up at SU. If he ends up being a four year player, nobody is going to complain if he ends up at SU. You can't build a roster out of 15 5-star prospects.

chino is a shot blocker. i don't hold his high school games very high on the list. i like to see these kids in AAU, vs equal or superior talent. chino had his ups and downs during the AAU circuit. those are the games to judge his ability on.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseGuy44

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom