Jermaine lawrence | Page 6 | Syracusefan.com

Jermaine lawrence

i'm not certain what more you expect?

SU was rated by espn as the 7th best place to coach, right behind the 6 blue bloods. SU has all the resources and facilities to compete with the blue bloods. the only thing SU is lacking is ncaa tournament success and top-tier recruiting, and those go hand in hand.

that's all i'm saying. in order to win championships, they'll need to continue to pursue the best hs players, and hopefully, soon enough the best hs kids will be saying they wish SU would recruit them, mentioning SU along with the likes of uk or unc.

You can't compare anyone to Kentucky. Cal has perfected his one-and-done recruiting system, and many of the very top kids are buying into it. The biggest of the egos see themselves in the NBA in 18 months, and he has figured out how to take advantage of this. UCLA is trying to emulate him with their incoming class. But the IU's, UNC's, even the Duke's are not going that route--at least not yet.
Before these "blue bloods" copy Cal, I expect that there will be pressure from the them to change the one-and-done.

true, but why not go after maybe one or two kids a year who has one-n-done potential?

dook has started to do so. unc and ucla have too. look what happened when boeheim did sign a one-n-done back in 2002.

and no one in orange nation will ever complain or say anything negative about one-n-done carmelo.

true, but why not go after maybe one kid a year who has one-n-done potential?

dook has started to do so. unc and ucla have too. look what happened when boeheim did sign a one-n-done back in 2002.

and no one in orange nation will ever complain or say anything negative about one-n-done carmelo.
Duke has done this with one player--Rivers--and I wouldn't be surprised if K, in his heart-of-hearts, would admit he made a mistake. UCLA is trying it this year with Muhammed/Anderson. UNC has not gone that route yet.

When we signed Melo, the coaches did not expect him to be a one-year player.

[Edit--of course, Duke has had one 2 seasons in a row. Irving was a very strange situation, but he would have been gone at the end of one year if he had been able to play 35 games.]

Duke has done this with one player--Rivers--and I wouldn't be surprised if K, in his heart-of-hearts, would admit he made a mistake. UCLA is trying it this year with Muhammed/Anderson. UNC has not gone that route yet.

melo was expected to be a star, and no one was shocked when he left.

dook has two one-n-dones in the past two years. deng, maggette, ewing were only at dook one year. and plenty of guys left after soph season.

pepsi max's uncle drew is a dook one-n-done.

and even if they changed the NBA age limit, top players would still go to uk and unc, they'd just stay two years instead of one (or maybe kids would head over seas until eligible for the draft).

true, but why not go after maybe one or two kids a year who has one-n-done potential?
We've been doing that already. It doesn't mean we will get them, but we are certainly trying. We got Donte Greene. We've gotten top talent like Flynn and Harris. A lot of people were saying Fab Melo would be one and done before people realized he needed development. We went after Davis and we went after Noel.

and even if they changed the NBA age limit, top players would still go to uk and unc, they'd just stay two years instead of one (or maybe kids would head over seas until eligible for the draft).
It practically doubles the player pool of top talent. There aren't enough spots on just the teams your focusing on. Why would guys just go to these schools if they aren't guaranteed playing time.

We've been doing that already. It doesn't mean we will get them, but we are certainly trying. We got Donte Greene. We've gotten top talent like Flynn and Harris. A lot of people were saying Fab Melo would be one and done before people realized he needed development. We went after Davis and we went after Noel.

right, and our 2010 and 2011 classes were solid. it'll be interesting to see if we land any of the top-tier guys we're targeting in 2014.

So in other words, we're already doing exactly what nerlo is complaining that we're not doing, and have been doing it for several years.

So in other words, we're already doing exactly what nerlo is complaining that we're not doing, and have been doing it for several years.

donte green obviously wasn't ready to go pro after one year. harris and flynn were local kids.

yes, we went after davis and noel and lost them because of the point i'm making.

donte green obviously wasn't ready to go pro after one year. harris and flynn were local kids.

yes, we went after davis and noel and lost them because of the point i'm making.
Wrong, SU lost both because

piles-of-cash.jpg

i'm not a big fan of cal either, but the guy has zero recruiting violations, high APR scores, and for the most part produces high quality kids beyond just basketball talent.
Boosters.

If that's your take on why we "lost" Davis, you are incorrect.

i'm not a big fan of cal either, but the guy has zero recruiting violations, high APR scores, and for the most part produces high quality kids beyond just basketball talent.
How can you say he produces high quality kids? With the one-and-dones, you have the kid on campus for about 9 months (July or August to April or May). Unless Cal has a magic wand, I doubt his program has the time to to do much to influence anyone for good or evil.

If you have a player for 3, 4 or even 5 seasons (see Rautins, Jardine, etc.), the program can make a difference in a kid's life.

How can you say he produces high quality kids? With the one-and-dones, you have the kid on campus for about 9 months (July or August to April or May). Unless Cal has a magic wand, I doubt his program has the time to to do much to influence anyone for good or evil.

If you have a player for 3, 4 or even 5 seasons (see Rautins, Jardine, etc.), the program can make a difference in a kid's life.

the one-n-dones are there from summer to summer, so it's a full year. and you don't think cal has had a huge impact on tony davis, mkg, t jones, teague, lamb, or miller? this past year has been the most important, influential year of their lives.

just think: carmelo & boeheim.

the one-n-dones are there from summer to summer, so it's a full year. and you don't think cal has had a huge impact on tony davis, mkg, t jones, teague, lamb, or miller? this past year has been the most important, influential year of their lives.
No, they are gone when the semester ends--mid-May at the latest. And, I doubt they are on campus that long in most cases.

And, we are talking about one-and-dones, which eliminates Jones, Lamb and Miller from the discussion.

(Are you a close friend of Davis? I have seen no one else call him "Tony".)

No, they are gone when the semester ends--mid-May at the latest. And, I doubt they are on campus that long in most cases.

And, we are talking about one-and-dones, which eliminates Jones, Lamb and Miller from the discussion.

(Are you a close friend of Davis? I have seen no one else call him "Tony".)

i called him tony when talking with uk fans. it bothered them and just kinda stuck.

so boeheim and carmelo don't stay in touch? boeheim hasn't had a huge impact on carmelo's life?

i called him tony when talking with uk fans. it bothered them and just kinda stuck.

so boeheim and carmelo don't stay in touch? boeheim hasn't had a huge impact on carmelo's life?
That's what they call "changing the subject".

But, yes, Boeheim has stayed in contact with Melo, which has nothing at all to do with how much any coach can influence one of his players during the one-and-done season. And--do you know how much contact Cal has had with those who have moved on from his first 2 classes at UK? Can you predict, with any certainty, how much contact he will have going forward with Davis, Kidd-Gilchrist and Teague?

That's what they call "changing the subject".

But, yes, Boeheim has stayed in contact with Melo, which has nothing at all to do with how much any coach can influence one of his players during the one-and-done season. And--do you know how much contact Cal has had with those who have moved on from his first 2 classes at UK? Can you predict, with any certainty, how much contact he will have going forward with Davis, Kidd-Gilchrist and Teague?

right, can you predict the future? how can you say one-n-dones don't gain a lifelong friend and mentor in cal?

if boeheim and melo have a bond, why wouldn't cal? you don't think he talks to rose and wall and cousins and knight and bledsoe?

i'm not sure what you're trying to say. is it that cal can't have a bond with players who are there for only one year? if so, i disagree, and i'll refer you to just look at boeheim and melo's relationship for an example.

i also want boeheim to make SU a school that all the top kids want to be recruited by.

boeheim is an amazing scout. he was the 1st coach to spot & recruit:

2011: tony davis
2012: nerlens noel
2015: karl towns

i want SU to be a school that can come into the picture late (like uk) and steal a recruit (like cal did with noel, and like cal will do with towns too).
You understand that there are large amounta od cash involved that SU cant match, right.

Sent from my Vortex using Tapatalk 2

He will succeed in putting it all together when he decides to become an Orangeman. The sooner the better.We are a couple pieces away from getting that second championship for us and Jimmy. Jermaine is one of those pieces along with a pure pg of high caliber talent. Losing both Dion and Scoop is a big deal talent wise for us this coming season. Who steps up and in is going to be part of the fun. Triche Williams and Cooney are the spot lighted trio.SUball

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom