Jerome, Guy and Hunter | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Jerome, Guy and Hunter

I hope Jerome goes in the mid first just so I can see him get torched by NBA guards (the dude will not be able to defend at the next level no matter how much he works on his skills) and not get a 2nd contract. I've never grown to loathe a player more in a single tournament than him. It must be great to be a tall, good shooting 3rd option on a fundamentally great team.

Where is he a freak? All his impact is made below the rim. He's strong, excellent defender, good footwork. Doesn't seem super quick or aggressive. Good player but IMHO doesn't demonstrate wow athletic ability.
He does everything well. He is quick, unbelievably agile, jumps well, can drive, can shoot, can rebound, is an elite defender, etc. Remember what he did when he was put on Tyus Battle on defense? He made him look like a hack. Hunter is a terrific athlete.

I haven't looked at any mock drafts but he has to be a top 10 pick and will likely be all pro one day.

I am astonished you don't think he is athletic.

I guess we will see what happens down the road but he was the best athlete on the team that just won the NC. That should be pretty impressive.

Last edited:
He does everything well. He is quick, unbelievably agile, jumps well, can drive, can shoot, can rebound, is an elite defender, etc. Remember what he did when he was put on Tyus Battle on defense? He made him look like a hack. Hunter is a terrific athlete.

I haven't looked at any mock drafts but he has to be a top 10 pick and will likely be all pro one day.

I guess we will see what happens down the road but he was the best athlete on the team that just won the NC. That should be pretty impressive.

And he does all this in a system that doesn't take advantage of all his tools. Hunter is, to me, a possible Kawhi Jr.

Now, I saw Jerome compared to Klay last night all over Twitter and THAT is pure lunacy.

It always is fun to see how these guy's pan out. Again IMHO - he's a good player but being more athletic than Guy, Jerome and Salt doesn't wow me and I don't agree that he was not more athletic than Diakite. He is very good but if he is the 4th best player in the draft the draft is weak. He played well for one entire game in this tournament. As for shutting down Tyus - more than Hunter did that this year and he played the kid from Tx Tech very well last night . He's going to play for a long time - I just don't think he is a difference maker in the NBA, but as you said time will tell.

It would not shock me if they all come back and try to do a Univ. of Florida thing. I'd be surprised, but not shocked, if that makes any sense. But I am going to guess that only Hunter leaves. His stock is nearing its max right now.
I agree. Hunter is a top 5 pick. No way he stays. I think Jerome is gone too.

I hope Jerome goes in the mid first just so I can see him get torched by NBA guards (the dude will not be able to defend at the next level no matter how much he works on his skills) and not get a 2nd contract. I've never grown to loathe a player more in a single tournament than him. It must be great to be a tall, good shooting 3rd option on a fundamentally great team.
Interesting. Seems like a hard kid to hate. He plays hard and wasn’t the 3rd option. Most of the time he was the first option with the ball in his hand making plays to get Huntervand Guy good looks.

Hunter isn't an elite athlete, but he's an extremely talented defensive prospect with some offensive potential.

FWIW, this is what was written about him by the DraftExpress guys prior to the title game:
With little league-wide consensus behind Zion Williamson, Ja Morant and RJ Barrett, the door has been open for a clear No. 4 prospect to emerge. Hunter is quickly playing himself out of contention, as his so-so feel, streaky shooting and somewhat limited upside have stood out more than ever over the past three games. During this stretch Hunter is averaging just 10.3 points, 4 rebounds and 1 assist in 35 minutes. Hunter's defense hasn't wavered, as he has checked up to four positions with outstanding technique, containing dribble penetration as impressively as any 6-8, 230-pound player in the country. He also has been active off the ball, rotating with verticality plays that often aren't registered as blocks.

But Hunter has looked lost offensively, lacking confidence in his catch-and-shoot 3 and struggling to create much offense from the mid-post or perimeter when he does choose to attack. Because of the nature of his release, opponents have been able to run Hunter off his spots. When he does shoot, there has been nothing fluid about his stroke considering his 42.4 3-point percentage, suggesting that he's best as an NBA 4. He remains a bit clunky as a ball-handler and lacks some creativity as a facilitator.

NBA spacing will help Hunter, and he has the potential to become an All-NBA defender in time. He's a high-floor, low-volume prospect likely to impact winning at a fairly high level -- somewhat in the OG Anunoby mold, though not quite as bouncy. But does Hunter have enough long-term upside for teams to feel comfortable using a top-five pick on him? He hasn't given NBA scouts reasons to think so, looking more realistically like an option in the Nos. 6-10 range.

I think he SHOULD be in play starting with the #3 pick (after Zion and RJ IMO), but given how often NBA teams tend to go for higher potential/scoring focused prospects, I wouldn't be surprised if he slid to the 6-10 range that Mike Schmitz mentions.

As for the other two guys, I think Jerome should declare and Guy should at least test the waters and see what teams say. Jerome should be taken around the 20-25 range in the draft IMO and I think he'll outplay that draft slot. Guy obviously has a gorgeous shooting stroke and is a bit underrated athletically IMO, but he's super small for a SG and might not have the skills even to be an off-ball PG in the NBA. Still though, it's a relatively weak draft and leaving now would allow them to go out on top so I think they at least owe it to themselves to test the waters.

I agree with one of the other posters that Diakite is a really intriguing prospect, though next year will be big for him as he takes on a larger role.

Interesting. Seems like a hard kid to hate. He plays hard and wasn’t the 3rd option. Most of the time he was the first option with the ball in his hand making plays to get Huntervand Guy good looks.

I likened him to the Aaron Craft of offense: always hooks, elbows, pushes off, or flings his body into traffic. He's a good player, but he's one of those "I don't like you unless you are on my team" and I think the NBA-level praise he's getting is crazy. As with most overrated players, its the coverage (and what he gets away with) that I actually don't like. I don't actually hate the kid. I'd love him in orange.

That said, while he was the guy with the ball in his hand, Guy and Hunter were, IMO, much more important. We saw it last night: he tried to take over offensively at the end against a good defense and looked bad doing it until he started passing to open shooters: Guy and Hunter won that game. He was also torched repeatedly on defense despite this silly idea that he's an elite defender.

It may be irrational, but I said what I said.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom