Jerome Smith | Syracusefan.com

Jerome Smith

BayonneOrange

Scout Team
Everyone makes mistakes, and you can forgive most of them. But, Jerome Smith's mistake was, and is, inexcusable.

It was lazy
It was selfish.
It was stupid.

He quit on the play, he quit on his teammates. A disgusting display of character.

How can his teammates ever trust him again?
I hope he never sees the playing field again.
We sure don't need effort like that.

Agree. The way PTG looked no need to use him, Smith looked slow in my opinion. People on this board said he would rush for 1000+ but that's not happening. Use PTG and some youth.

Yeah. PTG looked like the number one today. Let's see what happens against USC.

I agree it was lazy. It was a mistake. I'm sure his teamates are going to trust him still why wouldn't they? He had a laps in judgement. I hope he learns from it and follows the play through from now on. We had many other mistakes and his wasn't the only reason we lost.

Wow. Every player on both teams quit on that play not realizing it was a backward pass. Show he have fallen on it just im case? Sure. But it sure wasn't any if the things you listed. If it wasn't for the NW coaches yelling to their kids, they may never have picked it up and run.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

That's a BS post. The kid made a mental mistake. It was a huge error that probably cost the team the game, but there is no reason to march him off to the gas chamber for it. He's just young and needs more playing time.

I knew RB was going to be an issue for us this year. Really inexperienced guys back there. I was hoping AAM would step it up, but I'm not sure that's going to happen. We will be having RB woes all year long, so get use to complaining and being disappointed with that position.

Everyone makes mistakes, and you can forgive most of them. But, Jerome Smith's mistake was, and is, inexcusable.

It was lazy
It was selfish.
It was stupid.

He quit on the play, he quit on his teammates. A disgusting display of character.

Think you are being tough on him Everyone on offensive side of ball carries some blame

Everyone makes a stuid mistake at some point. Smith worked hard this summer and his teammates will trust him again. I would have sat him for a few series though. Gulley looked good today but this team will need Smith.

I agree it was lazy. It was a mistake. I'm sure his teamates are going to trust him still why wouldn't they? He had a laps in judgement. I hope he learns from it and follows the play through from now on. We had many other mistakes and his wasn't the only reason we lost.

Nassib was interviewed on the radio during the post-game, and even he thought he was an incomplete forward pass.

Nassib was interviewed on the radio during the post-game, and even he thought he was an incomplete forward pass.

I think he is catching a lot for one play that was a big mistake but that was supposed to be a forward pass and he didn't realize (or anyone else for that matter) was a live ball. It wasn't the only play where a mistake was made that ended up with points on the board

It was lazy
It was selfish.
It was stupid.

Dude, what would Jerry do?

Sales batted the ball up on the int to him .. right to the NW player .. another avoidable mistake ..

That's incredibly harsh. It wasn't an obvious lateral and there were at least a dozen other plays on both sides of the ball that would have changed the outcome of the game... including less obvious ones like the offsides penalty before the missed FG attempt.

However you look at it, I believe he cost himself his starting position. PTG looked very good and much stronger from what I remember last year. Smith never separated himself enough to have a sure starting position throughout the year. But with the running back by committee approach in may not matter much in the big picture.

Dee Brown's goof in 1997 was worse.

He only ended up 8th on the all time career rushing yards list ... and never had another fumble.

Wow. Every player on both teams quit on that play not realizing it was a backward pass. Show he have fallen on it just im case? Sure. But it sure wasn't any if the things you listed. If it wasn't for the NW coaches yelling to their kids, they may never have picked it up and run.

Agree, BUT ... when your team is on offense and the defense picks up the ball and starts heading to the endzone with it. You need do something about it. It should bother you seeing the other team picking up your ball and running with it. You have to try and stop them just in case because its your ball.

Jerome just sat there and watched them and did nothing ... that's a little bothersome.

I am surprised at you Bees...tell me how the receivers quit on the play while running their own routes? How did the OL quit on the play with their backs to the play and just wondering where the QB went with the ball?

The RB QUIT on the play to have a tantrum. Cost us 7 points. Lazy, selfish and stupid pretty much sums it up.

That's a BS post. The kid made a mental mistake. It was a huge error that probably cost the team the game, but there is no reason to march him off to the gas chamber for it. He's just young and needs more playing time.

</p Why was it BS? The player quit on the play. Pissed that the QB didn't throw him a better ball and had a tantrum that cost the team. "More playing time" ...are you kidding me? Please. Have some backbone Coach and make an example that no quitters will be on our football field!!

However you look at it, I believe he cost himself his starting position. PTG looked very good and much stronger from what I remember last year. Smith never separated himself enough to have a sure starting position throughout the year. But with the running back by committee approach in may not matter much in the big picture.

You do know that both Smith and PTG started today (with Sales, West, and Wales), and could continue to do so in the future.

Since each RB brings a different skill set ... we can be very multiple.

Have some backbone Coach and make an example that no quitters will be on our football field!!

That's not going to happen and he played plenty after that play.

It was a bonehead play yes. But what I have more of a problem with is when Smith totally whiffed on two pass rushers and dove to the ground. I had to rewind my dvr. I mean not even a chip block, and it got Nassib absolutely crushed! That could've been it for the season the way he smacked him. A lot of people on this board express concern for rb's who don't block, and that's the exact reason. It was reported a few times during camp, that Smith missed blocks leading to sacks.
Also, if they had 5 different rb's run with the 1's this week in a game week practice, that says to me the staff is screaming they don't trust Smith ( because he was named the starter). I'll with hold most judgement until next week. But when you don't give Adonis or Broyld or to a lesser extent a freshmen any carries, that's contradictory.

Sorry if this is a double post but never throw backwards. Too risky too little reward.

Sent from my Kindle Fire using Tapatalk 2

Smith made a bonehead play. He has surely been taught to fall on that ball just in case since Pop Warner. BUT, I blame the staff for not having the players heads in the game. IMO you have to move him to #2 in order to get everyone's attention. This mistake was so grievous (and it did cost the game) that it just can't be. "Oh well. everyone makes mistakes."

There is no way this does not affect the way the players look at him.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseEagle8

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom