Jerome Smith | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Jerome Smith

It was a bonehead play yes. But what I have more of a problem with is when Smith totally whiffed on two pass rushers and dove to the ground. I had to rewind my dvr. I mean not even a chip block, and it got Nassib absolutely crushed! That could've been it for the season the way he smacked him. A lot of people on this board express concern for rb's who don't block, and that's the exact reason. It was reported a few times during camp, that Smith missed blocks leading to sacks.
Also, if they had 5 different rb's run with the 1's this week in a game week practice, that says to me the staff is screaming they don't trust Smith ( because he was named the starter). I'll with hold most judgement until next week. But when you don't give Adonis or Broyld or to a lesser extent a freshmen any carries, that's contradictory.

We used 2 backs, they trust him enough.

Broylds second play he also whiffed.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

Smith made a bonehead play. He has surely been taught to fall on that ball just in case since Pop Warner. BUT, I blame the staff for not having the players heads in the game. IMO you have to move him to #2 in order to get everyone's attention. This mistake was so grievous (and it did cost the game) that it just can't be. "Oh well. everyone makes mistakes."

There is no way this does not affect the way the players look at him.

No one play cost us the game when there are about 10 that can be pointed to.

We used 2 backs, they trust him enough.

Broylds second play he also whiffed.

So why run 5 different backs with the 1's in game week practice then?? He showed what they were worried about.

That's why we are so undisciplined...no consequences.

You want Smith run off the field yet PTG is the one that has let the team down...twice...due to lack of discipline.

So why run 5 different backs with the 1's in game week practice then?? He showed what they were worried about.

We ran 5 backs with the 1's this week? Didn't know that since practices were closed completely this week.

We ran 5 backs with the 1's this week? Didn't know that since practices were closed completely this week.

Well you better let reporters know they weren't supposed to say anything.

Well you better let reporters know they weren't supposed to say anything.

We did not use 5 backs when running packages we used today when practicing this week. Won't say an AAM wasn't in a package like 3rd and inches.

We did not use 5 backs when running packages we used today when practicing this week. Won't say an AAM wasn't in a package like 3rd and inches.

Wow. I didn't say that. I said, they ran 5 rb's with the 1's at one point this week in practice. Whether we ran those same packages in the game that the 5 rb's ran in practice, I have no idea. Not the point.

Yup that play cost us the game. The complete lack of a simple lane-based punt coverage scheme had nothing to do with it...

Never throw backwards. Too much risk too little reward

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

I felt like you, me and Kowalski were the only ones in the Dome who realized it was obviously a backwards pass. And that there was never a whistle. Weird play. I guess that's what I get for going to a game sober. Won't happen again.

You do know that both Smith and PTG started today (with Sales, West, and Wales), and could continue to do so in the future.

Since each RB brings a different skill set ... we can be very multiple.

Kids make mistakes and I feel bad for Smith. However IMO he is our 5th best option in the new system. He simple does not fit it. He is a pro style power runner. That isn't what you want when you are running out of the shotgun where you need a shiftier guy. If we were running our O from last year, then he should be the #1 guy. But in this O he needs a hole to be successful (see his long run that he hit well). Those IMO won't happen much. There is a reason why he had 19 yards on his other 8 carries and PTG had 29 yards on his 6 carries (minus his longest which really isn't fair as most of that was him).

Not only that... I think the assertion that PTG is the clear #1 is being clouded by smith's bone-headed play. I was NO fan of smith prior to today but he made a bunch of nice plays.

Wow. Every player on both teams quit on that play not realizing it was a backward pass. Show he have fallen on it just im case? Sure. But it sure wasn't any if the things you listed. If it wasn't for the NW coaches yelling to their kids, they may never have picked it up and run.

Team is going to need Smith against USC. Syracuse cannot go no huddle all game and try to out score USC. Best option for next week IMO is to mix ground game in with what we saw yesterday. Very slim chance of winning but team must run the ball to win. Barkley, Woods and Lee are too talented to play video game football against.

Team is going to need Smith against USC. Syracuse cannot go no huddle all game and try to out score USC. Best option for next week IMO is to mix ground game in with what we saw yesterday. Very slim chance of winning but team must run the ball to win. Barkley, Woods and Lee are too talented to play video game football against.
best option is to try to keep up and hope we get some goofy good luck

Everyone makes mistakes, and you can forgive most of them. But, Jerome Smith's mistake was, and is, inexcusable.

It was lazy
It was selfish.
It was stupid.

He quit on the play, he quit on his teammates. A disgusting display of character.

How can his teammates ever trust him again?
I hope he never sees the playing field again.
We sure don't need effort like that.

I THINK THE POST IS "SELFISH" AND "STUPID" AND THINK YOU LET THE BOARD DOWN!

THE ADMINS. SHOULD BAN YOU FOR THE SEASON.

Everyone makes mistakes, and you can forgive most of them. But, Jerome Smith's mistake was, and is, inexcusable.

It was lazy
It was selfish.
It was stupid.

He quit on the play, he quit on his teammates. A disgusting display of character.

How can his teammates ever trust him again?
I hope he never sees the playing field again.
We sure don't need effort like that.

Wow, disgusting post.

Get over yourself.

Sorry if this is a double post but never throw backwards. Too risky too little reward.

Sent from my Kindle Fire using Tapatalk 2

The route was not designed to go backwards.

The route was not designed to go backwards.
yes, smith was just in lala land. i don't blame nassib for not realizing that smith drifted back. it should be a simple thing but throw it sideways too much and it'll eventually go a little backward. i'm not flipping out over the call, it's just a little pet peeve of mine

i'm not a fan of old fashioned option pitches for the same reason - need to take extra care to reduce live balls

yes, smith was just in lala land. i don't blame nassib for not realizing that smith drifted back. it should be a simple thing but throw it sideways too much and it'll eventually go a little backward. i'm not flipping out over the call, it's just a little pet peeve of mine

i'm not a fan of old fashioned option pitches for the same reason - need to take extra care to reduce live balls

The kid has to jump on the grenade to make sure without a doubt, bad play on his part. But those flares are not meant to be sideways.

The kid has to jump on the grenade to make sure without a doubt, bad play on his part. But those flares are not meant to be sideways.

Agreed, but the guy who said it was a selfish play is a complete touch hole, kid made a mistake, get over it.

From one of Rahme's stories:

“We thought we heard whistles,” Smith said. “Everybody heard whistles. It’s unfortunate. I’ve done it a hundred times, and it’s the same thing every time (a forward pass). I criticize myself. I didn’t get out as fast as I usually do.”

Maybe Nassib didn't get deep enough on his drop?

Maybe Smith was late coming out of his break, so Nassib had to throw a shallower pass?

The play was never intended to be a backwards lateral. Unfortunately, it was.

Agreed, but the guy who said it was a selfish play is a complete touch hole, kid made a mistake, get over it.

A touch hole?? Please. Name calling? Grow up!!

Quit apologizing for this adult. Whiney people like you accept this kind of selfish immature effort. I don't want it on a team I root for. Simple as that.

Jeez...Borzak believes I should be banned. And GoSU96 says I should "get over myself." I never understood what get over yourself means but that's besides the point. I guess criticism is not accepted by some here. TOO BAD!! I couldn't care less what you two and others think.

A touch hole?? Please. Name calling? Grow up!!

Quit apologizing for this adult. Whiney people like you accept this kind of selfish immature effort. I don't want it on a team I root for. Simple as that.

Jeez...Borzak believes I should be banned. And GoSU96 says I should "get over myself." I never understood what get over yourself means but that's besides the point. I guess criticism is not accepted by some here. TOO BAD!! I couldn't care less what you two and others think.

All I can say is you are being very critical of one play in which you weren't on the field for and have no idea what was going on. You didn't like the end result which I get but it was one play. They are plenty other plays that we could blame. It was the first game of which we may not have been as ready as we should be and we let one get away but to blame one kid who had other solid plays

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseEagle8

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom