Jerome Smith | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Jerome Smith

All I can say is you are being very critical of one play in which you weren't on the field for and have no idea what was going on. You didn't like the end result which I get but it was one play. They are plenty other plays that we could blame. It was the first game of which we may not have been as ready as we should be and we let one get away but to blame one kid who had other solid plays

Ok...now I get it. You can't be critical or worthy of an opinion unless you are on the field/court. If that's the case, this place would shut down. Ugh!

BO...your initial post was too harsh in my opinion, and in the opinion of some others.

It's as simple as that.

Smith played well yesterday and will be a huge contributor this year. PTG played lights out and i felt that Ash flashed his potential. I really want to see Morris as i believe he could be huge in the Indy. Watch out next year for Devonte as this O is perfect for him.

From one of Rahme's stories:

“We thought we heard whistles,” Smith said. “Everybody heard whistles. It’s unfortunate. I’ve done it a hundred times, and it’s the same thing every time (a forward pass). I criticize myself. I didn’t get out as fast as I usually do.”

Maybe Nassib didn't get deep enough on his drop?

Maybe Smith was late coming out of his break, so Nassib had to throw a shallower pass?

The play was never intended to be a backwards lateral. Unfortunately, it was.

This quote demonstrates why people need to lighten up on Smith. He made a mistake--a bad one, sure--but hopefully he learns from it and improves from this point on. You don't throw one of your own under the bus for making a mistake--you support them.

Again? Was he charged?
Funny, but uh ...

GROAN.

Bringing the conversation back to where it should be, what I wish we had is a running
game where there's a hint of the RBs being able to be a big play threat should they slip
the first wave of tacklers, and I just don't think that it's been demonstrated by anyone
yet. That Mark kid for NW, damn, he made the team look foolish on the punt returns,
ended up with a horrible matchup for the Orange on the TD pass he caught, and still
racked up 82 more yards rushing. If we have someone back there who can do that,
can they please a) play, and b) show up and do it?

Kev

Funny, but uh ...

GROAN.

Bringing the conversation back to where it should be, what I wish we had is a running
game where there's a hint of the RBs being able to be a big play threat should they slip
the first wave of tacklers, and I just don't think that it's been demonstrated by anyone
yet. That Mark kid for NW, damn, he made the team look foolish on the punt returns,
ended up with a horrible matchup for the Orange on the TD pass he caught, and still
racked up 82 more yards rushing. If we have someone back there who can do that,
can they please a) play, and b) show up and do it?

Kev

Not going to manifest until the OL improves collectively, and our run blocking improves as an extension of that.

I am quite confident that we have a great group of backs at our coaching staff's disposal. Morris [let's assume he plays this year as a true frosh], McFarlane [redshirt], and Gus Edwards [incoming frosh who will similarly likely redshirt] infuse a LOT of talent into the pipeline at RB. Future at this position looks bright as hell.

This quote demonstrates why people need to lighten up on Smith. He made a mistake--a bad one, sure--but hopefully he learns from it and improves from this point on. You don't throw one of your own under the bus for making a mistake--you support them.

People threw Dee Brown under the bus.

He only ended up 8th on the career rushing yards list ... and never had another fumble.

And there was no evidence that his teammates never trusted him again.

He only ended up 8th on the career rushing yards list ... and never had another fumble.

Great comparison.

I don't agree that the play was "selfish" on Smith's part, or that his teammates won't trust him, but he simply has to demonstrate more awareness and football IQ in that situation.

Also, I don't think that the 2 situations are too similar. Brown simply made a physical mistake, but why was a redshirt FR in his 2nd collegiate game, and who hadn't touched the ball for 59:00 getting the ball in that situation? On another note, don't get me started about the defense's total lack of awareness in OT.

Not sure he could have jumped on that ball it really took a perfect bounce into the defenders hands.
He could of made a tackle though.

List our running backs in the order of the most likely to do that in the future. Jerome would be at the bottom of that list.

I think he'll be a good player for us.

It was a bonehead play yes. But what I have more of a problem with is when Smith totally whiffed on two pass rushers and dove to the ground. I had to rewind my dvr. I mean not even a chip block, and it got Nassib absolutely crushed! That could've been it for the season the way he smacked him. A lot of people on this board express concern for rb's who don't block, and that's the exact reason. It was reported a few times during camp, that Smith missed blocks leading to sacks.
Also, if they had 5 different rb's run with the 1's this week in a game week practice, that says to me the staff is screaming they don't trust Smith ( because he was named the starter). I'll with hold most judgement until next week. But when you don't give Adonis or Broyld or to a lesser extent a freshmen any carries, that's contradictory.

While I am not defending Smith here, to be fair, the rusher that crushed Nassib was one of the lineman's responsibility. Yes he gave a poor effort on the block, but he did at least slow up the defender. NW sent two off the edge. 2 defenders will beat 1 blocker 99% of the time.

Dee was one of my favorite SU backs of that I watched play. My original board handle was deebrownfan6, or something like that. Just loved the way he always ran north and south and picked up positive yards.

Ok...now I get it. You can't be critical or worthy of an opinion unless you are on the field/court. If that's the case, this place would shut down. Ugh!

Not true. You can be critical but it doesn't mean your right or what you think is true

I also think it is creepy when people grunt in messages when they think others don't get what they are saying UGGGGGGG!!!

Not true. You can be critical but it doesn't mean your right or what you think is true
I also think it is creepy when people grunt in messages when they think others don't get what they are saying UGGGGGGG!!!

Whatever...uuuugh arrrrgh smfh.
Done with this thread.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseEagle8

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom