Jerry Palm's latest bracket | Syracusefan.com

Jerry Palm's latest bracket

moqui

generational talent
tough, tough road Jerry lays out for the Orange if they are to accomplish the first level goal of escaping the Sweet 16:

2nd round - winner of Virginia/Purdue - UVA is one of the best defensive teams in the nation (6th according to KenPom) and loves to play at a slow pace (their tempo factor is 337th out of 345 D1 squads), and they have a difference-making player at both ends in Mike Scott. Meanwhile, Purdue is another team accustomed to slowing it down (217th in tempo) and they have a highly efficient offense (16th) that ranks first in the nation in fewest turnovers given up. Take care of the ball and slow it down are steps 1 and 2 in the anti-SU blueprint.

3rd round - the 5/12 game is Florida/Cincy, so we have a potential rematch if it is one of those, and we all remember how that worked out for us last year. It's possibly even worse if we get the 4 seed, Temple, yet another slow paced team that plays solid defense and efficient offense. The good news is they suck at offensive rebounding, so it relieves pressure on one of SU's weaknesses. The bad news is that they have 4 guys who have taken over 85 three pointers this year, and they are shooting .395, .403, .414 and .433 from that range. as a team, Temple shoots .409 from deep.

The 2 seed in Ohio State and the 3 seed is Baylor. Palm's other #1 seeds are Kentucky (who he actually has ranked 4th on his version of the S curve; SU is #1), Duke and Michigan State.

Link to bracket here, subscription required.

There is no such thing as an easy road to a National Championship. Perhaps it used to be that No.1 seeds didnt play anyone tough until the Sweet 16 but that's not the case anymore.

If there are nine Big East teams in the tourney, I would be stunned if we were in the group of eight with two Big East teams.

SU needs some luck of the draw to avoid teams that control tempo and want a slow paced (55 point) half court game. That has always been the formula for beating SU in the JB era and if you can execute that it frequently has worked. This year's team is better at still being able to win a slow, ugly slog but if we could draw teams who want to play up tempo it would surely be better for us. I really hope we can avoid Virginia, Wisconsin, and Wichita St.

Sign me up RIGHT now. We can beat Temple and believe me they would be the only team to cover. Meet me in NORlynns.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
McCuse

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom