Jesse Edwards in portal and transfers to WVU | Page 136 | Syracusefan.com

Jesse Edwards in portal and transfers to WVU

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's looking like this has come full circle...
  • Jesse said we didn't offer him NIL
  • A bunch of our fans on here claiming various ITK sources 100% refute that, say there was a package, but we weren't close to matching WV's $800K. Blame Jesse and his father for misrepresenting the situation / dead to me, yada yada...
  • 315 collective guy comes out today and admits the collectives had not figured out how to offer Jesse NIL package due to his foreign student status. I.E. WE DIDN'T OFFER HIM A NIL PACKAGE
IF the above is true, hard to blame Jesse because his original statement appears to be true (and this is a big IF, because everything around NIL seems to be spoken in halftruths.)

“And those people quickly learned that paying Edwards NIL money would require weeks of labor. They spoke with lawyers and accountants and ran ideas past SU’s compliance department. They raised money.”

“likely could not match the NIL price Edwards could get elsewhere, Bristol said.”

“Bristol said SU’s collectives were prepared to find deals for Edwards in the low six-figures.”

OK, we were unprepared based on Bristol's quotes. But who is we?

Did Jesse get literally ***any*** NIL money last year? If so, literally a single dollar, unless he had super secret American citizenship, someone had figured it out last year.

This would have been a natural avenue to explore by Donna to prove or disprove that this claim of incompetence was inherent to Bristol's dealings or systemic to all of Syracuse's NIL groups.

Or, as has been communicated here, Syracuse NIL support got to where Jesse wanted, he changed the end goal to a much higher number and we didn't chase a guy that couldn't set a good screen to save his life... all the while we landed JJ and Chance Westry.

I mean, are we really going to go through these motions and pretend this is a well-written and investigated article? This is chum for sharks.

1- Based on Bristol’s comments the 315 collective is completely out of touch and not prepared. Not sure I would have confidence investing in that collective based on his comments. Not sure the money would be used properly.

2- I trust the board members. But everyone has a motive. It’s plausible people from the program are leaking that we had the money but he wasn’t worth it to settle fans expectations. It’s pretty telling when a lead person for a Collective comes out and says otherwise.

3- Pretty sure it was documented he made NIl money from Weitsman last year. I’m sure there were other funds that went to him as well. Again, this says a lot about the 315 collective and how unprepared they are. Again back to point 1, why give them money if they are unprepared to use it?

4- I’m sure Donna heard the exact same things the board members hear off the record. This is what leads them to report and find the sources. Donna literally went to a collective that funds the players. I find it very hard to believe that she is totally in the dark about what happened.

“And those people quickly learned that paying Edwards NIL money would require weeks of labor. They spoke with lawyers and accountants and ran ideas past SU’s compliance department. They raised money.”

“likely could not match the NIL price Edwards could get elsewhere, Bristol said.”

“Bristol said SU’s collectives were prepared to find deals for Edwards in the low six-figures.”

nil-note.jpg

Quotes from Bristol:
While athletes might appreciate the nice new weight room, they also know how much money their peers are making at other schools. Given the choice of a new practice facility or $100,000 in NIL money, Bristol said, “10 out of 10 kids are going to want that $100,000.”

“If any kid comes in and says, ‘I’ve got an agent and they say my market value is this and we believe we can get this someplace else,’ we are reactionary,” Bristol said. “We would somehow have to try to get the money together. That’s why these collectives need to be funded. I can’t express that any more – boosters and donors and everybody that loves SU sports has to donate to the collectives.”

SO why didn't they convince AW to contribute to their collective instead of driving him away totally?

Bristol has been around forever and a day. He used to have a very cringeworthyhigh school sports show on WSYR 10 to 15 years ago. He has also worked four years with the Boeheims, I believe as a fundraiser for the Boeheim foundation. I could be wrong on that.

He’s never been somebody who has impressed me, to be honest. I’m not surprised that he screwed the pooch in that interview.

Quotes from Bristol:
While athletes might appreciate the nice new weight room, they also know how much money their peers are making at other schools. Given the choice of a new practice facility or $100,000 in NIL money, Bristol said, “10 out of 10 kids are going to want that $100,000.”

“If any kid comes in and says, ‘I’ve got an agent and they say my market value is this and we believe we can get this someplace else,’ we are reactionary,” Bristol said. “We would somehow have to try to get the money together. That’s why these collectives need to be funded. I can’t express that any more – boosters and donors and everybody that loves SU sports has to donate to the collectives.”

SO why didn't they convince AW to contribute to their collective instead of driving him away totally?
There are those in the know here who said the school wanted him to donate to the collectives. He opted not to.

Quotes from Bristol:

This mindset is completely off.

I don't want to be part of this conversation, but this sounds like what happens to a junior salesperson that gets caught in a race to the bottom on price.

So you think the article is telling the entire Syracuse side of the story?
We'll never know. At this point, I believe it behooves the athletic department to set the record straight on the topic of NIL even if it's through a "source".

We did. He had an offer he accepted.

Really now??

“We were not set up in that way. We don’t have a collective that works for an international athlete. So, we were kind of dead in the water,” said Bristol, whose 315 Foundation coordinates deals primarily for SU basketball players.
“Once we could not find a way to do it and/or the timing of it, they decided they’re going to put his name in the portal and that was that.”

Really now??

“We were not set up in that way. We don’t have a collective that works for an international athlete. So, we were kind of dead in the water,” said Bristol, whose 315 Foundation coordinates deals primarily for SU basketball players.
“Once we could not find a way to do it and/or the timing of it, they decided they’re going to put his name in the portal and that was that.”

Prepared how?

He said they couldn't structure a deal legally in the timeframe needed and that the collectives are simply not set-up to handle NIL for foreign students.

None of what you bolded matters if they can't do step one and put it in a contract that meets legal compliance.

Last edited:
Quotes from Bristol:

You really don’t think that was discussed? Are you serious?

So you think the article is telling the entire Syracuse side of the story?
I doubt it, I’m just saying that the idea that the collective didn’t produce anything for him (as was stated in the post your responded to) was clearly false because the article states that he did in fact receive an offer. I was agreeing with you

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
warriors826

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom