Jesse Edwards in portal and transfers to WVU | Page 134 | Syracusefan.com

Jesse Edwards in portal and transfers to WVU

Status
Not open for further replies.
Look how Rutgers does it here Join – Knights of the Raritan this is simple and lays out all you need to know about what youre getting for your contribution and also allows for one time contributions. I know we all hate Rutgers, but this is a great model and they're apparently doing well in the NIL game currently. Landed a 5-star top 10 recruit for basketball in 2024 who was reportedly going to whoever bid the highest.

Yep. I've also noticed reading the country roads collective as well that they are far less over the top on their disclaimers and compliance related language than the SU collectives. Not sure what to make of that but it's noticeable.

Basically just what we've been talking about plus there are things you get. I mean hell... send this to 315. Can't beat em? Copy them

It's not any kind of rocket science either.

Mike did mention to me that they are trying to incorporate reaching out to season ticket holders in the future

I would imagine the SU alumni office has contact information. Don't see how sharing that would be a problem...

Agreed. Boeheim basically pleaded with people to donate more. The last few years are one thing but boeheim would do everything possible for Cuse. He’s a lifer and more invested in the program than anyone here.

I think we are still a bit behind in the NIL game and losing Jesse and these type of articles further that….even if some don’t want to accept it
From what I hear we can be competitive. Sure I think we should tweak a few things including adding a subscription service and hiring a GM, but that article made things appear worse than they are. We've had multiple guys do very well over the past few years.

We are never going to have the cash schools like Arkansas, Florida, and Ohio State will have, but we will be able to compete with our rivals.

I do think WVU is onto something with foreign players. They also may be blowing their load for Huggins swan song.

From what I hear we can be competitive. Sure I think we should tweak a few things including adding a subscription service and hiring a GM, but that article made things appear worse than they are. We've had multiple guys do very well over the past few years.

We are never going to have the cash schools like Arkansas, Florida, and Ohio State will have, but we will be able to compete with our rivals.

I do think WVU is onto something with foreign players. They also may be blowing their load for Huggins swan song.

Yeah.. it's interesting on WVU given if the coffers are stuffed full- why Jesse and not roll out the golden couch for HD?

It's not that easy.

Oh of course not. There are backend costs(legal included), infrastructure and accounting/tax reporting requirements. I'm very familiar having been Sr mgmt at a non profit for a few years. The larger point is subscription makes sense and absolutely is a must have element to all of this. Generally speaking the most complicated element of subscription is being able to accept donations from people outside the state your non profit is in. That takes specific filings to be able to do so.

OK, we were unprepared based on Bristol's quotes. But who is we?

Did Jesse get literally ***any*** NIL money last year? If so, literally a single dollar, unless he had super secret American citizenship, someone had figured it out last year.

This would have been a natural avenue to explore by Donna to prove or disprove that this claim of incompetence was inherent to Bristol's dealings or systemic to all of Syracuse's NIL groups.

Or, as has been communicated here, Syracuse NIL support got to where Jesse wanted, he changed the end goal to a much higher number and we didn't chase a guy that couldn't set a good screen to save his life... all the while we landed JJ and Chance Westry.

I mean, are we really going to go through these motions and pretend this is a well-written and investigated article? This is chum for sharks.
It is "chum for sharks", doesn't mean that the spokesperson for our collective came off about as good as Jesse in some of his comments. My opinion - this doesn't inspire confidence that we are on top of this NIL thing.

Oh of course not. There are backend costs(legal included), infrastructure and accounting/tax reporting requirements. I'm very familiar having been Sr mgmt at a non profit for a few years. The larger point is subscription makes sense and absolutely is a must have element to all of this.

I'm saying the buy in would be a small small % of that whole. Seems like the type of thing we should have though.

It doesn’t seem by design, it IS by design. As it should be. It is naive to expect otherwise. Those hoping for public confirmation and comment from administration regarding any specifics on NIL as it relates to recruiting or donors or whatever else gets tossed around here will continue to be disappointed.

Well you were right about one thing... disappointment.

Since Mike from the 315 collective just came out and talked about the Jesse situation and said the crux of the issue (beyond just the difference in funds offered between SU and WV), was that the collectives were not prepared to make Jesse an offer, as they had not determined how to legally structure the offer given Jesse's foreign student status.

If true, at the very least, it sounds like what Team Edwards has been saying is true... that we were not prepared to offer him NIL.

This flies in the face of others that have claimed Team Jesse is lying, and the NIL offer was on the table and we've been paying him NIL for past years.

Someone is telling the truth and someone is telling bold-faced lies here... or maybe everyone is lying (to some degree)??

Either way, disappointing.

I'm saying the buy in would be a small small % of that whole. Seems like the type of thing we should have though.

Understood... if marketed correctly though you can boost that number to get a higher hit rate. To me your lowest hanging fruit is alums and people who have or are attending a game.. this includes your pre game watering holes downtown etc.

It is "chum for sharks", doesn't mean that the spokesperson for our collective came off about as good as Jesse in some of his comments. My opinion - this doesn't inspire confidence that we are on top of this NIL thing.

Not disagreeing with you there.

Look how Rutgers does it here Join – Knights of the Raritan this is simple and lays out all you need to know about what youre getting for your contribution and also allows for one time contributions. I know we all hate Rutgers, but this is a great model and they're apparently doing well in the NIL game currently. Landed a 5-star top 10 recruit for basketball in 2024 who was reportedly going to whoever bid the highest.
Exactly! You and I are very much on the same page on this. The charity component that SU does is great for the community. But personally, I'd be more interested in the kind of stuff that Rutgers offers and it's also similar to what Iowa offers- meet and greets. autographs, Zoom sessions - stuff like that

Last edited:

"One of the transfer portal’s most impactful players, Jesse Edwards, announced on Sunday that he was transferring from Syracuse to West Virginia. While he said to ESPN’s Jonathan Givony NIL playing a factor was more of “a bonus,” it is intriguing why he is heading to West Virginia.
The Mountaineers have a robust NIL backing. As Givony states, the Country Roads Trust NIL collective, founded by Forbes-listed billionaire Arizona Diamondbacks owner Ken Kendrick and former Mountaineers athletic director Oliver Luck, the collective has made its presence felt in the NIL space."

"One of the transfer portal’s most impactful players, Jesse Edwards, announced on Sunday that he was transferring from Syracuse to West Virginia. While he said to ESPN’s Jonathan Givony NIL playing a factor was more of “a bonus,” it is intriguing why he is heading to West Virginia.
The Mountaineers have a robust NIL backing. As Givony states, the Country Roads Trust NIL collective, founded by Forbes-listed billionaire Arizona Diamondbacks owner Ken Kendrick and former Mountaineers athletic director Oliver Luck, the collective has made its presence felt in the NIL space."

Yeah, Westry and Starling are here for the education...

Oliver Luck, former WVU athletic director, is a trash human who hates Syracuse and Boeheim. He’s probably loving all this, dancing on our (Jesse) grave. I believe a poster on here once mentioned having a conversation with him where he trashed us and our programs. That dude is scum in my book. I hope the NCAA brings the hammer down on them and uses them as a warning shot to other programs (cause you know they aren’t going after the blue bloods).

Oliver Luck, former WVU athletic director, is a POS who hates Syracuse and Boeheim. He’s probably loving all this, dancing on our (Jesse) grave. I believe a poster on here once mentioned having a conversation with him where he trashed us and our programs. That dude is scum in my book.
Scum of the scum. He personally saw to it that JB and SU got the most selectively punitive penalty in ncaa "enforcement" history

These articles are becoming more and more irritating.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseGuy44

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom