Jesse Edwards in portal and transfers to WVU | Page 53 | Syracusefan.com

Jesse Edwards in portal and transfers to WVU

Status
Not open for further replies.
Why is it on Kent?

Weitsman is clear to fund things the university has in place. Seems like he doesn't want to. That's a choice.
Adam is free to spend his money how he pleases. He chooses to do NIL deals based on charity and make it public. It’s public also so that it draws other players to Syracuse. Does he get attention from it? Yes. But, so long as it is in compliance with the rules, who cares? If Adam was not shut down, Jesse stays and we have Marcus Adams coming in next year. If we want to win, this bridge must be fixed, and it can be.

I don't think AW backing out is linked to Jesse suddenly in the portal. I think one poster said that Jesse has a Nil offer from Syracuse and that an external party had some outreach with his dad and more money was offered. Now if AW was still in play he could maybe counter but I don't think AW caused Jesse to enter.
I think Jesse got wind of a better deal per his dad and realized his biggest earning power is btw now and whenever he takes his basketball shoes off for the final time.

Guy is not the healthiest of players either. He's maximizing his earning potential. That part of the thread is easy to understand. He also may see the benefit of higher NIL and a better education elsewhere. See Duke, GTown et al.

The AW part of the NIL is a whole other thread that we've interwoven here. I think that's the more fascinating pivot by the administration

When SU sports were good pre Nancy, SU was well ranked academically. Being well know nationally attracts students to apply.
Since football and basketball have gone downhill so has the academic standings.

These things are not correlated at all.

Adam is free to spend his money how he pleases. He chooses to do NIL deals based on charity and make it public. It’s public also so that it draws other players to Syracuse. Does he get attention from it? Yes. But, so long as it is in compliance with the rules, who cares? If Adam was not shut down, Jesse stays and we have Marcus Adams coming in next year. If we want to win, this bridge must be fixed, and it can be.

I'm sure it's not that simple. AW probably had special rules per his relationship with JAB too. I'm sure that was somewhat specific to the seats he had. If it's good for him, then the other collective members may have been like "why are there rules for AW and not for us".

We don't know the whole story and i'm pretty sure no one else here does absent maybe Bees and CTO who are probably tight lipped about BoT and Chancellor issues with one specific booster and direction of school

There are people in this thread who are in complete denial about the level of $!being tossed at kids. FFS I hope our administration is not sharing this vision.

It’s ridiculous right now.
It’s comical, we’re bringing a rubber band to a gunfight.

Explain the "not allowed to". If Weitsman wanted to give the 315 Collective $500K today, they'd refuse?
His intention was to benefit from landing a 5 star recruit for a million bucks, as is his right. He likely would not get the same return on donating to a collective. It's like Pepsi offering to sponsor an elite professional athlete in exchange for the athlete promoting Pepsi products, but the athlete says no but you can give me the money anyway. There's a degree of fandom and charity in college NIL, but at the end of the day it's business.

I'll ask again... if he wanted to give money to an existing collective today would his money be refused?

Of course he can spend his money how he pleases. Who's arguing that?

But if his primary goal is to support SU athletics than it sounds like he's quite welcome to do that, within the guidelines that all other SU boosters are being asked to follow. if his primary goal is something else, then that's his choice and it's fine. We just shouldn't pretend otherwise.

I don’t get all this talk of these other “guys” it’s a completely irrelevant topic if they aren’t actually doing anything. At the end of the day most fans just want good player=they want to win. As long as it’s done in a way that can’t get the school In trouble, the majority won’t care how it happens, who it’s from, etc.

Can I ask everyone something? Why is everyone freaking out? The kid was a senior, any other year he would have been gone naturally. We had no actual hard facts he was going to return. It’s still early in the portal world.
Is it because he’s transferring somewhere else?

I'll ask again... if he wanted to give money to an existing collective today would his money be refused?

But if his primary goal is to support SU athletics than it sounds like he's quite welcome to do that, within the guidelines that all other SU boosters are being asked to follow. if his primary goal is something else, then that's his choice and it's fine. We just shouldn't pretend otherwise.
My question is do we know either way? Because the answer regardless of yes or no is very telling.

His intention was to benefit from landing a 5 star recruit for a million bucks, as is his right. He likely would not get the same return on donating to a collective. It's like Pepsi offering to sponsor an elite professional athlete in exchange for the athlete promoting Pepsi products, but the athlete says no but you can give me the money anyway. There's a degree of fandom and charity in college NIL, but at the end of the day it's business.
This makes sense to me. And I agree, he can do whatever he wants, obviously. But let's not pretend he's some cherub-like good soul who only cares about dear ol' SU and his charities. He wants ROI.

I'm sure it's not that simple. AW probably had special rules per his relationship with JAB too. I'm sure that was somewhat specific to the seats he had. If it's good for him, then the other collective members may have been like "why are there rules for AW and not for us".

We don't know the whole story and i'm pretty sure no one else here does absent maybe Bees and CTO who are probably tight lipped about BoT and Chancellor issues with one specific booster and direction of school
I know one side very clearly, and definitely not the other. But, I do know that Kent has never spoken to Adam. One would think that the chancellor would at least introduce himself and shake the hand of such a big donor if he had any interest in athletics, no?

It was a quid pro quo between Adam and the hoops program.

Without the "quo" (the publicity), we won't be seeing any of Adam's quid.

These things are not correlated at all.
Nancy allowed more students admitted. she gamed the admissions process the exact opposite way that other schools decided to go.

Northeastern gerrymandered their admissions and policies to be specifically US News appealing. They are now a higher ranked school than SU. Even Boston College decided to go a more difficult admissions route as well and their sports aren't exactly high flying. They are the analogy IMO. They are mediocre at best in hoops/football and are much higher ranked than SU now and MUCH more selective. I just went through this process w my son.

SU falls behind Nova, BC, Gtown, Penn St, Maryland, even Umass at this point. Some depts at SU remain hard to get into but the school itself is achievable if you want to write the check

Can I ask everyone something? Why is everyone freaking out? The kid was a senior, any other year he would have been gone naturally. We had no actual hard facts he was going to return. It’s still early in the portal world.
Its bc its a sign of things to come that we cannot compete with majority of schools now

I think it's how it went down that is the issue. We wanted to keep him, he wanted to return and we didn't have the NIL resources/abilities to make it happen. Now that's publicized and we sit without a primary target at the 5.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseEagle8

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom