Jesse Edwards in portal and transfers to WVU | Page 55 | Syracusefan.com

Jesse Edwards in portal and transfers to WVU

Status
Not open for further replies.
The University is not serious when it comes to NIL. They are clearly lagging far behind. Wildhack’s comments on ESPN Radio Syracuse a few months back alarmed me. This along with kicking out Weitsman (which I do agree with BTW) just confirms my fear.

If you wanna win in this climate you gotta get serious about NIL. Kentucky found a way with Tshiebwe last season. I’m actually happy to move on from Jesse, but I wish it wasn’t due to us lagging behind on NIL.

Not sure if it's accurate or not, but there was a comment that part of JB's new promotional position going forward would include some aspect of fundraising. Not sure if he would be involved with the collectives since they are technically removed from the university. Given his distaste for the entire concept of big $$ pay for play situations, I would think that he wouldn't be a very enthusiastic intermediary in any case.

JB's job is to collect a check and to keep saying nice things about SU publicly that's about it.

We'll see, won't we?
In 18 months, we'll know whether Red is a dead man walking.
He will get next year to try to pull a good recruiting class.
We'll have a year to get our NIL act together.
But coming off of a likely season of ~20 losses, who is he going to pull?
Ain't nobody coming here, and there ain't no coming back if we completely fall off the cliff.
Fifty percent of our fans have already checked out.
I know a person who holds lots of high quality season tickets because she wants to support the university, but is checking out, and dumping them.
Clueless. Team isn't even finalized yet and you're projecting a doomsday scenario. Doomer fans are hilarious sometimes.

Nancy allowed more students admitted. she gamed the admissions process the exact opposite way that other schools decided to go.

Northeastern gerrymandered their admissions and policies to be specifically US News appealing. They are now a higher ranked school than SU. Even Boston College decided to go a more difficult admissions route as well and their sports aren't exactly high flying. They are the analogy IMO. They are mediocre at best in hoops/football and are much higher ranked than SU now and MUCH more selective. I just went through this process w my son.

SU falls behind Nova, BC, Gtown, Penn St, Maryland, even Umass at this point. Some depts at SU remain hard to get into but the school itself is achievable if you want to write the check

Yes, her well-intentioned desire to connect the University more with the city was also behind the decision to admit students from Syracuse City Schools who otherwise wouldn't have qualified. It was a nice desire, but it really hurt the rankings. Made SU a bit into a commuter school.

Clueless. Team isn't even finalized yet and you're projecting a doomsday scenario. Doomer fans are hilarious sometimes.

OK, who are we getting to replace Jesse?
Who will replace Judah?
Who will replace Joe?
Where are the rebounds going to come from?

And other schools know we can't pay enough to keep our good players (or get new ones).

What's your answer. How are we going to compete?

I'll wait.

Its bc its a sign of things to come that we cannot compete with majority of schools now
well, that and there's no replacement. the three top scorers on a mediocre team are (more than likely) leaving, so far they've brought back the players who were not the top scorers and looked lost on occasion and one other local kid who had a middling injured year on an even worse team. There has not been much rejoicing since the initial heady days of *checks calendar* two weeks ago when people were talking top-25 and a guard rotation of JJ, Judah, and Chance plus getting another season out of the most productive C at SU in a long long time.

Who will replace Judah?
Who will replace Joe?

And other schools know we can't pay enough to keep our good players (or get new ones).

I'll wait.
Who will replace Weitsman? That is the real question. If we had someone on board to replace him, we wouldn’t be losing Jesse.

People are really out here acting like Syracuse is a mid major...

We haven't been ranked for years. We haven't finished in the Top 4 in our league in years.
We've been in the ACC for about 10 years, and I think we've won a grand total of 1 or 2 ACC Tournament games. We lost to Colgate back-to-back years. We lost to Buffalo, Bryant and bad St. John's and Georgetown teams where the coaches were fired.

You still think we're a Destination School? A Blue Blood?

Let me say this about Weitsman. He's got a business humming that prints almost unlimited money for him. But at one of his "Profound" events, he and Jeff Knauss were talking about investing in crypto and non-fungible tokens. So, I'm voting that he's either not that smart and got lucky in his business, or he's a huckster who chases the latest shiny object in order to separate people from their money.
Yup. Can’t doubt his success. He either got lucky or timed the scrap metal business. But doesn’t make him particularly smart.

Who will replace Judah?
Who will replace Joe?

I'll wait.
They will compete like every other team in the country competes. You develop talent and pickup players in the portal. You have no clue how JJ could improve (maybe he becomes Judah-like), perhaps the 2 spot gets filled by Taylor who goes on to shoot 40% from 3 again on high volumes. Maybe Syracuse picks up a center, maybe they go with a 3 guard 2 forward lineup and they pickup another guard in the portal.

The point is you giving red a 20 loss season before the roster is even close to finalized.

Since there has been a lot of talk here about NIL, I wanted to pass along something...I spoke with Adam W. this morning.

Appreciate the report. But this is the most unsurprising thing, ever.

And I'd just say this, Adam can say what he wants on his end, but the school cannot get into a tit for tat with him in the public. So it's going to be one-sided... just keep that in mind.

They will compete like every other team in the country competes. You develop talent and pickup players in the portal. You have no clue how JJ could improve (maybe he becomes Judah-like), perhaps the 2 spot gets filled by Taylor who goes on to shoot 40% from 3 again on high volumes. Maybe Syracuse picks up a center, maybe they go with a 3 guard 2 forward lineup and they pickup another guard in the portal.

The point is you giving red a 20 loss season before the roster is even close to finalized.
That’s some serious coping lol

The “million” or x dollars may indeed be there.

Doesnt mean its intended to be used on Jesse though.

So, tell me again, how much do these other sports programs earn for the University?
Do field hockey players, or cross country runners, ALL need NIL, or should it be used for revenue sports?
Because if they "ALL" deserve NIL money, then, hey maybe the University should lower its tuition so these kids weren't broke.

Last edited:
Did we get last look? If so, did we say no?

I don’t know if the last look has happened yet. I’m not saying that to be coy like I expect him back. I say that as this is the new world where NIL/transfer portal can often times be a negotiating process.

Appreciate the report. But this is the most unsurprising thing, ever.

And I'd just say this, Adam can say what he wants on his end, but the school cannot get into a tit for tat with him in the public. So it's going to be one-sided... just keep that in mind.
It would be nice if they could get together and work out an agreement quickly so that Jesse could stay.

Has there been anything from the coaching staff, AD or school yet. This is now been lingering since last night and is out. It's not a good look having it just sit and fester without a response...it's concerning enough as it is. The longer this goes without a response..

So, tell me again, how much do these other sports programs earn for the University?
Do field hockey players, or cross country runners, ALL need NIL, or should it be used for revenue sports?
Because if they "ALL" deserve NIL money, they, hey maybe the University should lower its tuition so these kids were broke.
In the other sports, the players that get NIL deals are those that companies believe they have value. It's changed the game for women's sports especially if you're attractive. It's not the case for football and basketball where we have collectives paying extortion fees.

We haven't been ranked for years. We haven't finished in the Top 4 in our league in years.
We've been in the ACC for about 10 years, and I think we've won a grand total of 1 or 2 ACC Tournament games. We lost to Colgate back-to-back years. We lost to Buffalo, Bryant and bad St. John's and Georgetown teams where the coaches were fired.

You still think we're a Destination School? A Blue Blood?
Oh I forgot, schools never go through down periods. I mean Syracuse is obviously going to fall into obscurity forever just like UConn, oh wait... Like Indiana, oh... wait, like Baylor, oh wait... like Texas, oh... wait, those schools all came back after their down turn...

Syracuse must be special though for some reason.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KD95

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom