Jesse Edwards in portal and transfers to WVU | Page 51 | Syracusefan.com

Jesse Edwards in portal and transfers to WVU

Status
Not open for further replies.
He got dinged because they had dinner at his house when they werent enrolled at Miami, not because he gave them NIL
And that was before we knew what could and couldn't be done. The enforcement is going to be selective.

I’m really interested to understand what people think the Chancellor could do here? I don’t defend the admin at large but the guy has duties and responsibilities to discharge, he cannot control NIL, there is a functioning and governed collective in place outside of his purview and he’s got a
Booster operating outside of all of that that is using the University as his backdrop for his own initiatives….honestly what would anyone do?

That is my question as well. How is the money distributed? Will they give Jesse $500k to stay next year? Or does he have to split it with a bunch of field hockey players.

You’d have to ask the collectives. Last year 315 supported about 13 players. This year they said it would be about 30. Adam supported about a dozen across fball, Mens bball and women’s bball. The athletes who care foundation supported several fball players.

I’m really interested to understand what people think the Chancellor could do here? I don’t defend the admin at large but the guy has duties and responsibilities to discharge, he cannot control NIL, there is a functioning and governed collective in place outside of his purview and he’s got a
Booster operating outside of all of that that is using the University as his backdrop for his own initiatives….honestly what would anyone do?
These pay for play NIL deals shouldn’t be public like what AW was doing. You can have these deals/boosters but just keep it private like most of these other schools.

Don’t mess with the money.

He's seemingly done the right thing here. People are mad and lashing out.

People, if your hope was getting one rich garbageman billionaire to support the program indefinitely, then you were delusional to begin with. SU can’t play in this arena. A lot of other programs can’t either. It’s okay. We will be a mid tier program most likely. Maybe BC. Who knows. I don’t like it, but this shouldn’t be a surprise if you’re not delusional.

These pay for play NIL deals shouldn’t be public like what AW was doing. You can have these deals/boosters but just keep it private like most of these other schools.

Don’t mess with the money.
Yup usually better for the school If you’re hush hush. Even if you do everything legally, there still is going to be attention and room for issues.

Honestly Weitsman talking about his beef with the administration looks worse for him than the school as far as I’m concerned. It reiterates it’s about him not the school. He was using it to build his own brand. He ain’t no victim here. He got the attention he wanted and he’s moving on.

He lost the benefit of the doubt in my mind as soon as he associated himself with Shrekli. He’s either incredibly naive or a moron for that one.

This is a much larger and different conversation but college is a scam, plain and simple. Good luck to SU and Kent

Short term will be bad for SU Hoops. Long term I would bet this is good for Syracuse University as a whole.

Kent wants to actually bring the school into a higher ranking status again. His job is to improve the student body experience holistically. Not just athletics.

I applaud him if this is part of a grander theme to get them back into the top 50 academically. This stuff matters when you are charging students 80k to come to Syracuse.

As CTO said years ago, our applications from new students increased by 25 or 30% after we won the championship. That allowed the University to be more selective in who it decided to admit, which drove up the rankings.

People who are proud of their school and who have been successful in business also tend to donate more money to their school. Sporting events continue to provide networking opportunities to graduates, and bigger events draw bigger crowds of enthusiastic alumni.

Sports and academics are not as separate as you think. The University is still a business, and they have to sell "quality of life" things to get kids (or their parents) to pay $70,000 a year for a mostly worthless Bachelor's Degree.

Which is worse. Someone did this for the university and they got in trouble for it. He's another like Weitsman who wants the attention.
Exactly. Universities are pretty conservative in the sense that they are not interested in being exposed to liability for something that they didn't do or had conflicting guidance on.

You’d have to ask the collectives. Last year 315 supported about 13 players. This year they said it would be about 30. Adam supported about a dozen across fball, Mens bball and women’s bball. The athletes who care foundation supported several fball players.
So it sounds like we would benefit from an Elite Men's Basketball Player Collective, where all the money donated goes to the best one or two players. That would be to supplement a mega booster making deals. Being a basketball power will help everything else. And there's a sector of people who would donate to keep a guy like Jesse but wouldn't donate to a general fund that gets dispersed to a bunch of unknown players competing in sports that the person doesn't follow.

Yup usually better for the school If you’re hush hush. Even if you do everything legally, there still is going to be attention and room for issues.

Honestly Weitsman talking about his beef with the administration looks worse for him than the school as far as I’m concerned. It reiterates it’s about him not the school. He was using it to build his own brand. He ain’t no victim here. He got the attention he wanted and he’s moving on.

He lost the benefit of the doubt in my mind as soon as he associated himself with Shrekli. He’s either incredibly naive or a moron for that one.

Let me say this about Weitsman. He's got a business humming that prints almost unlimited money for him. But at one of his "Profound" events, he and Jeff Knauss were talking about investing in crypto and non-fungible tokens. So, I'm voting that he's either not that smart and got lucky in his business, or he's a huckster who chases the latest shiny object in order to separate people from their money.

He's seemingly done the right thing here. People are mad and lashing out.

He didn’t like the public display of some things. I’m sure the flying of a recruit and two rappers to sit courtside was the straw that broke the camels back especially when the NCAA came out a few days later and said they were gonna crack down on even appearances and that you were guilty until you prove your innocence.

But regardless of what went down with Su and weitsman, it’s not precluding the collectives or our two new “guys” or others from playing in the NIL world.

So it sounds like we would benefit from an Elite Men's Basketball Player Collective, where all the money donated goes to the best one or two players. That would be to supplement a mega booster making deals. Being a basketball power will help everything else. And there's a sector of people who would donate to keep a guy like Jesse but wouldn't donate to a general fund that gets dispersed to a bunch of unknown players competing in sports that the person doesn't follow.

Doesn’t sound like a bad idea.

He didn’t like the public display of some things. I’m sure the flying of a recruit and two rappers to sit courtside was the straw that broke the camels back especially when the NCAA came out a few days later and said they were gonna crack down on even appearances and that you were guilty until you prove your innocence.

But regardless of what went down with Su and weitsman, it’s not precluding the collectives or our two new “guys” or others from playing in the NIL world.
And are they doing so?

As CTO said years ago, our applications from new students increased by 25 or 30% after we won the championship. That allowed the University to be more selective in who it decided to admit, which drove up the rankings.

People who are proud of their school and who have been successful in business also tend to donate more money to their school. Sporting events continue to provide networking opportunities to graduates, and bigger events draw bigger crowds of enthusiastic alumni.

Sports and academics are not as separate as you think. The University is still a business, and they have to sell "quality of life" things to get kids (or their parents) to pay $70,000 a year for a mostly worthless Bachelor's Degree.
Our school had a higher ranking well before the 2003 season. I agree athletics are the front porch of who we are.

I'm not advocating for the removal of them. Far from it. I'm just saying if Kent thinks AW has gotten too big for his britches I doubt he's cutting off his nose to spite his face. He's a thoughtful chancellor who is doing it the right way. I'm assuming they want the NIL to be done in an elegant fashion.

I’d love to hear why it’s wrong
Because something happened that people don't like, someone must be to blame, and most people have a weird psychological need to appeal to authority.

Well clearly there was no backup plan. Adam pulls out, and Jesse instantly leaves?

That’s fine if we don’t want to blame Kent for not wanting to associate with Adam. But the deeper concern is how we apparently didn’t have enough NIL money without Adam to keep our starting center. Is that on Kent? I’m not sure. But the NIL efforts clearly to ramp up

So Weistman is welcome to contribute to a collective like anyone else, but he doesn't want to do that.

Fair interpretation?
Nope, his NIL contribution and bringing celebrities is not welcome. He still wants to help, but he’s not allowed to.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseEagle8

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom