Jesse Edwards returning | Page 9 | Syracusefan.com

Jesse Edwards returning

It will be interesting to see what he shows on the court this year, now that he's got a fairly solid amount of game experience under his belt. Please note, I think he was underutilized last year, and hasn't played as much as you might want, but he's gotten his feet wet. Time to build on that experience.

He got more passes in that clip in the post than he will all year. Kid can be good with the right opportunity.

This is where having a bigger team needs to also play a role. Buddy, Cole and Benny all should have the size to find the open man without even having to put it on the deck. Jesse using is wingspan to get position could be a legit option quite often if only to make sure he gets more touches.

Not sure who is in that clip( I thought it was Dutch national team guys who aren't a total slouch) but that Brook Lopez half hook could be really effective as a go to along with the drop step, ball fake layup. Final piece is if he has a legit jump shot he can use - I mean we would be freaking stupid to not milk that.

I'm mainly looking at what he does as a true 5 on D and the boards but if he could be a legit offensive post presence that would be a game changer in terms of this teams realistic potential. We shall see what happens.

It will be interesting to see what he shows on the court this year, now that he's got a fairly solid amount of game experience under his belt. Please note, I think he was underutilized last year, and hasn't played as much as you might want, but he's gotten his feet wet. Time to build on that experience.

Yep. While different players, to me he showcases the kind of skills we saw somewhat hidden with Rak and then some with Fab that for reasons via guards not getting them the ball or they weren't always working hard to make themselves available took a while to finally show up (Rak) and only showed up a little (Fab) in their final years here.

I mean look at how France played in the Olympics. Just using your bigs along with your shooters. Make the game easier.

It’d be hard to not look good in that setting, those kids were making him look like Dwight Howard in his prime.

Yeah those were clearly practice exercises. There wasn't the kind of resistance you see in games, and I personally, don't feel like I learned much from watching it. That said, I was still excited to see it because Edward's offseason development will be, in my opinion, the single most important factor in the teams success next year.

We need him to protect the rim (which I'm confident he can do). We need him to rebound (which he doesn't seem naturally skilled at, and the hardest thing for a center to do in the zone is be both a rebounder and a rim protector, because it involves difficult split second decisions on where to position yourself). On offense we don't need him to be anything more than a 5th option, but we need him to be good enough so teams can't double off him without being punished for it.

Frankly, its asking a lot of someone who is still in the early stages of his developmental arc. But then again Jesse has some uncommon attributes that will make things easier on him, like his 7'5 wingspan, and being uncommonly coordinated for someone who is that tall with arms that long.

Even if Sidibe is healthy and playing the best he ever has, Edwards will still be our main rim protector, and that is a hell of an important job. A guy who can make it hard to score in the paint makes every defensive player on your team better, and every offensive player on the other team worse.

I like Edwards. I think he was intimidated big time by the major college game in his first year.
He's got good feet, SOME strength, coordination and quickness for somebody nearly 7 Ft. tall.
With a healthy Sidibe, we should get 12/12 every night(at least) from the 5.
Our problem next year will be assists and quickness in the backcourt.

maybe it's just jaded me speaking, but I'm not expecting a "healthy" Sidibe - I'm expecting a Sidibe that can maybe contribute a few minutes here and there throughout the season...
I think we'll need big Frank to have developed into enough of an option so that he can give 5-10 m a game, so as to mean as little as JB jr or other forwards as possible at the C position

I said his freshman year Edwards had that Rudy Gobert potential. Hope he shows to be the college version of him.

Yep. That is his ticket to success here and getting a look at a pro career somewhere

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom