Jesse Edwards: | Syracusefan.com

Jesse Edwards:

Capt. Tuttle

Living Legend
I was very confident on his second FT, because of how he missed the 1st one. He missed it long, not short. If it's short, it tells you he is nervous. Kid wasn't nervous.
He is going to be a good player for us. It will be nice having a big with solid fundamentals.
Hope JB can find 5 minutes per half for the kid.
May save a foul each half on MD and BS.

I was very confident on his second FT, because of how he missed the 1st one. He missed it long, not short. If it's short, it tells you he is nervous. Kid wasn't nervous.
He is going to be a good player for us. It will be nice having a big with solid fundamentals.
Hope JB can find 5 minutes per half for the kid.
May save a foul each half on MD and BS.

It was good to see him get some run and play well at the end of a game - as it seems somewhat likely that the same scenario plays out again for us down the road. The last time out was pretty bad so this had to a big confidence builder.

With this size a lot will come down to match ups, but the more comfortable he is on the floor, the better off we are if these situations arise.

Edwards anticipates well on the post entry pass. Far better than anyone else playing center. His wingspan helps there too.

He should be good for at least 2-3 alley oops a game until they stop leaving him when someone else drives.

His instinct on tapping rebounds to teammates is smart. Gotta have more floor time so other guys get used to playing with him though.

I know small ball with MD has been effective throughout the year but going with the two headed center, at least in first half stretches could give us a lot more to work with later in games. Matchup dependent but can't hurt given the foul issues night in night out

Edwards anticipates well on the post entry pass. Far better than anyone else playing center. His wingspan helps there too.

He should be good for at least 2-3 alley oops a game until they stop leaving him when someone else drives.

His instinct on tapping rebounds to teammates is smart. Gotta have more floor time so other guys get used to playing with him though.

I know small ball with MD has been effective throughout the year but going with the two headed center, at least in first half stretches could give us a lot more to work with later in games. Matchup dependent but can't hurt given the foul issues night in night out

All of this.
He's raw, but you can see the latent talent and athleticism is there.
Giving him 3-5 mins in the first half of every game would be an invaluable investment in his improvement, AND also help keep CDB and Marek on the floor at the end of games, by not picking up some weak BS foul.
He could do an actual screen and roll, and unlike every other big we've had in what seems like a decade, FINISH on the roll.

Which would keep the D more honest on somebody like Eli as the other guy in that action, opening him up for his 3's, or for drives.

It would be irresponsible to not get him at least 5-8 minutes per game against every opponent from here on out.

Absolutely no excuse. It's evident Sidibe & Dolezaj can't stay out of foul trouble. And I'd rather he play with 2 minutes left in the first half, than with 5 minutes left in a game we absolutely need to win.

If he plays in the first half of the game vs. Clemson, we win the game.

I knew Jesse Edwards was probably going to be the best offensive center SU has had since Christmas when I watched him set a screen, roll toward the basket and put his hands up in the air, making sure his guard knew he was available. Haven't seen that basic concept regularly in years.

Last edited:
I knew Jesse Edwards was probably going to be the best offense center SU has had since Christmas when I watched him set a screen, roll toward the basket and put his hands up in the air, making sure his guard knew he was available. Haven't seen that basic concept regularly in years.

Let's not get ahead of ourselves here.

It was good to see him get some run and play well at the end of a game - as it seems somewhat likely that the same scenario plays out again for us down the road. The last time out was pretty bad so this had to a big confidence builder.

With this size a lot will come down to match ups, but the more comfortable he is on the floor, the better off we are if these situations arise.
I agree that he looked much more comfortable as he played more minutes. Imo, another factor in his elevated comfort level might have the fact that he knew he wouldn't be yanked no matter how bad he played...there was nobody left.

There is nothing worse than playing not to lose (i.e. make a mistake) instead of playing full speed with a clear mind.

I knew Jesse Edwards was probably going to be the best offense center SU has had since Christmas when I watched him set a screen, roll toward the basket and put his hands up in the air, making sure his guard knew he was available. Haven't seen that basic concept regularly in years.
He has been well instructed.

All of this.
He's raw, but you can see the latent talent and athleticism is there.
Giving him 3-5 mins in the first half of every game would be an invaluable investment in his improvement, AND also help keep CDB and Marek on the floor at the end of games, by not picking up some weak BS foul.
He could do an actual screen and roll, and unlike every other big we've had in what seems like a decade, FINISH on the roll.

Which would keep the D more honest on somebody like Eli as the other guy in that action, opening him up for his 3's, or for drives.

Agree with your post, the problem is that Edwards is going to need a few minutes to get going in these games (as witnessed on Sat) and JB just doesn't have the patience in the 1st half to do that when he can just put in Guerrier and role with Marek at the 5. Personally I thing getting Goodine and Edwards each at least a few minutes a game makes a lot of sense especially when you have 2/3rds of your staring lineup looking at 40 min a game and inevitably getting tired. Goodine especially should be seeing at minimum seeing a few spot minutes each half.

Because Boeheim was out of options Edwards was allowed to play thru his mistakes and it showed.

We aren't exactly dealing with some Nikola Jokić clones here. If you want to reach for Thompson/Lydon I'll give you them, but the true 5s have been terrible offensively since Christmas.

I don't care who we are talking about. To proclaim him as the best offensive center since Christmas after scoring 30 points in 15 games is a gigantic leap.

Just for reference purposes, Sidibe averaged 2.7 points per game on 60% shooting as a freshman and had an 18-point game against an ACC opponent.

I don't care who we are talking about. To proclaim him as the best offensive center since Christmas after scoring 30 points in 15 games is a gigantic leap.

Just for reference purposes, Sidibe averaged 2.7 points per game on 60% shooting as a freshman and had an 18-point game against an ACC opponent.

Big stretch from "probably going to be" to "proclaiming" but OK. ;)

By gum, I liked Edwards the first I time I met him!
swoon.gif

Not really with you on this season. I’m happy Sid Marek and QG are back with Woody joining the mix next year.

Moves great for a guy his height. I’d redshirt him next year and have 3 years left when the minutes open up because he is a project. Could be great as a senior and we’re kicking ourselves he’s not a rsJr.

Not really with you on this season. I’m happy Sid Marek and QG are back with Woody joining the mix next year.

Moves great for a guy his height. I’d redshirt him next year and have 3 years left when the minutes open up because he is a project. Could be great as a senior and we’re kicking ourselves he’s not a rsJr.
If Edwards redshirts, he might lose his minutes to JBA. I'd like to see him here 3 more years as a more mature player for sure.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseGuy44

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom