JGIII | Page 5 | Syracusefan.com

JGIII

I think he needs to grow into a different role.

Last season we needed him to be a caretaker. He was going to get a lot of minutes, and he had time within games to sort himself out.

This season... the role's different. We need bursts. 100% grit in 6 minute grinds. Come in, hustle like crazy, pop shots when you've got them. Take smart shots and when you're hot, get fed.

He took about 3 more that made me cringe tonight, to go along with quite a few turnovers.
On the other hand, Griffin took a couple terrible 3's too, after his super-hot start.

I think Woody is more natural there than Griffin oddly. Woody can slash,drive and shoot it. Griff likes to mix it up more.

Back to JG3 - he will get his groove back. For him, his shot is what gets him going. So with the ongoing funk, the rest of his game is not there right now. Conditioning, fatigue from CoVid maybe or the weight gain, all has him off his game. Also last year he got to sort of be Co-Alpha a lot. He now needs to be as already mentioned the microwave guy. It is going to take him having a big game to really right the ship. When that happens, and it will, it should be a turning point for the kid. Its important to note he will be scouted by college coaches every game now. That means he has to adapt. At GF they triple teamed him at times but this is much different.

One thing I was pleased to see was that he wasn't rushing his shot motion, too much. He took a couple quickies too early in the shot clock, but there were 2 or 3 other times (including the pump-fake three), where he took a moment and gathered his feet. Those were swishes.

I think Cooney's problem was more that he was constantly running so hard to get open off of screens, with many of his attempts tending to be while he was drifting sideways away from the basket, rather than stepping into his shot. The higher degree of difficulty doesn't earn any extra points.

I don’t understand the reason why people feel the need to express their loathing of certain players
It's mostly the white kids who get grief. JGIII and Buddy are constantly belittled, while guys like Goodine, Joseph, etc., who proved they don't belong, are pined for and imagined slights of their ability are proffered over and over again.

I don’t understand the reason why people feel the need to express their loathing of certain players

agreed...not sure the reason why some need to pile on Braswell on the board. He’s clearly not playing well.

Last edited:
It's mostly the white kids who get grief. JGIII and Buddy are constantly belittled, while guys like Goodine, Joseph, etc., who proved they don't belong, are pined for and imagined slights of their ability are proffered over and over again.

Umm, no. It is the kids who are playing too much. Any kid who is playing close to 40mpg will be subject to scrutiny unless playing like a star (Eli), particularly when there is an intriguing alternative sitting on the bench getting literally zero time. Currently it happens to be the coach's son, and plucky white kid in JG who lacks some of the measurables of an ideal guard.

Loathing?..I would like him to be the second coming, but he’s not. He’s a three point shooter bingo. Other players like Richmond are better at the point. The best 3 point shooters on this team are him buddy and griffin. i hate none of them.

thank god we had him last year cause we had no ball handlers. This year it’s different. He’ll be off the bench rested and ready to do what he does best. I want SU to win. I don’t post to hate.