Jim Boeheim (and one other) test positive for COVID; basketball program pauses... | Page 6 | Syracusefan.com

Jim Boeheim (and one other) test positive for COVID; basketball program pauses...

Status
Not open for further replies.
My father is 82+YO with congestive heart failure, for which treatment is going well.
He was a boy when there were air raid drills and blackouts, even in Syracuse.
He is one of the most positive and mentally strongest people I know.
It is hard seeing my dad being scared of something that is statically unlikely to happen to him, but is "hunkered down" for the Long haul, foregoing returning to Florida for the winter.
FWIW, he said this is the single most impactful and scary event of his lifetime. People who don't appreciate the fearful impact this has on others bother me.
Not taking precautions in public is far more unsettling and discomforting for those around us than wearing masks is for us.

Last edited:
I get it, but on the flip side if you needed an elective heart procedure done that had an 85% survival rate you'd probably take it.

my kid had an ‘elective‘ procedure done that had a 2% mortality rate and none of the professionals batted an eyelash for recommending it be done.

Agreed, and in a vacuum they make sense. But the point is those are “elective”.

Sadly, COVID is an extremely contagious virus (most likely 2x the flu from that aspect) that can infect people whether they “elect” to get it or not.

I had it in July - and I am a healthy 41 year old. I exhibited very few symptoms. No cough, just a stuffy nose and a minor fever. Oddly enough, my lungs showed a little scarring and now I cough a
little after working out. I cough after a good laugh. Hopefully I’ll heal up and that goes away. But for some people that if it now be the case.

It’s an extremely curious virus that leads to disease that we still don’t know enough about. These long haulers have antibodies (autoantibodies) that actually attack their own bodies.

At some point we’ll figure it all out, but it isn’t as simple as 99 percent survive it and move on. We need to avoid an overrunning of the hospital systems, where providers are forced to chose who gets Remdesivir vs others, or who gets the ventilator, etc.

If it were as simple as 99.5 percent, and everyone in the US gets it, that’s still 1.6 million US citizens dead.

Exactly. Time will tell relative to long term and whether there will be permanent impairment and to what extent, etc. The same can be said about the unknowns. Speculating one way or the other is just that, speculation at this point in time.

This isn't entirely true. There has been enough data collected on recovered patients to see that in many instances the lung scarring that is seen at the height of infection doesn't always go away, and in many cases the effect literally looks like what you would see in a person who has smoked heavily for 20+ years. We can expect to see COPD to become increasing common in the future.

We have enough data to know that there are going to be a lot of people who have significantly shortened lifespans due to the disease. It's not really a respiratory disease (although that is often the type of symptoms that are most commonly manifested) and there are a lot of clotting issues that often arise in people with moderate to severe sickness, along with inflammation of heart tissue/myocarditis. This raises the possibility of increased risk of heart attack and stroke.

My research section has been instrumental in developing new ways to monitor the cellular interactions of the virus and we have been in contact with a few biotechnology companies that are interested in licensing our technology. I can't get into specifics but what I'm hearing from these companies regarding long-term effects in about 10-20% of 'recovered' patients is not encouraging at all.

I get it, but on the flip side if you needed an elective heart procedure done that had an 85% survival rate you might take it. People do that all the time.

theres 11.2 million confirmed cases with 246k deaths. That’s 2%

Deaths are a lagging indicator.
Typically 3-4 weeks behind getting infected.

So - with the massive uptick in new cases, it’s a sad inevitability that a lot more people are going to die.

But - even at “only” 2%, we’re adding a million new cases a week now, which means 20k people are going to die in 3-4 weeks.

That’s 2-3x higher than the current number of deaths / week.

But please - keep trying to spin and minimize it.

been waiting for the right moment for this, thanks OttoinGrotto
So the rodeo clown, Lecille, that was dedicated to was a fixture at the rodeo in the town I live in.

Every year, there would be some small controversy about inviting him back due to some off-color jokes he had told at the previous rodeo (I have no idea if they were actually offensive. Rodeo clowns aren't actually funny, and the humor they provide does hearken back to a time when jokes were... different. So who knows.) and it would set up an annual discussion about whether that humor reflects the inclusive values of our community, or maybe for those that don't like it THEY'RE WELCOME TO LIVE SOMEWHERE ELSE IF THEY DON'T LIKE IT AND GO BACK TO CALIFORNIA WHERE THEY BELONG BECAUSE OUR TOWN IS JUST FINE AND THE PROBLEM ISN'T THE TRADITIONS IT'S THE NEW PEOPLE THAT REALLY SHOULD JUST GO BACK TO CALIFORNIA.

It's great fun. My community is much more complex than I ever anticipated.

This is what's scary. Does anyone really know how long the virus stays on surfaces. Does he get his lunch delivered? Unless you are in a true bubble you could come in contact no matter how careful you are. Look how many programs are infected.
There were studies cited in the media back in the spring. The time varied from hours to days depending on the surface.

Deaths are a lagging indicator.
Typically 3-4 weeks behind getting infected.

So - with the massive uptick in new cases, it’s a sad inevitability that a lot more people are going to die.

But - even at “only” 2%, we’re adding a million new cases a week now, which means 20k people are going to die in 3-4 weeks.

That’s 2-3x higher than the current number of deaths / week.

But please - keep trying to spin and minimize it.

I don’t think that will be the case at all. Therapeutics are better and older people (especially those with underlying conditions) are less likely to pick it up because they’re taking more precautions.

who the hell said it was about me and how do even jump to that conclusion ?

For a smart guy YOU. CANT. READ.
I can read just fine. Your post shows that you don't understand the difference or, even more troubling: don't care.

FB_IMG_1604370411406.jpg

I can read just fine. Your post shows that you don't understand the difference or, even more troubling: don't care.

way to answer the question. again, how do you jump to the conclusion that I think it's about me ????

There were studies cited in the media back in the spring. The time varied from hours to days depending on the surface.
My comment was more hypothetical than looking for specific facts. You go to the grocery store and how many different people have touched that bag of potato chips before you bring it home. There is a reason the numbers are at an all time high in all 50 states. I'm not looking to get political but like 25 basketball programs are on pause. Hope JAB has a negative test and we get to play all our games.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom