Jim Boeheim Appreciation thread. | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Jim Boeheim Appreciation thread.

I didn’t know Boeheim made a bay watch cameo.
A37213E8-BD6D-4026-AF5B-DF8661D942D6.jpeg

A legend for sure. We were lucky to have had him. Amazing career that us ‘Cuse fans will never experience again. Wish it could have ended better but happy he had last weekend with the ‘03 team. I have been thinking it was time for new blood the past few years as the game/athletics has changed so much but when I saw the retirement announcement it really made me sad. We’ll always love you Coach. Thank you for EVERYTHING you have done for Syracuse.

A legend for sure. We were lucky to have had him. Amazing career that us ‘Cuse fans will never experience again. Wish it could have ended better but happy he had last weekend with the ‘03 team. I have been thinking it was time for new blood the past few years as the game/athletics has changed so much but when I saw the retirement announcement it really made me sad. We’ll always love you Coach. Thank you for EVERYTHING you have done for Syracuse.
Amen. Thank you coach.

I’m about to be 57. Feels like he’s been coach my entire life. Syracuse basketball wouldn’t be what it is without him. Great memories. Hall of Famer. National Champion. Some Cinderella runs late in his career in the tourney. He helped make the old Big East what it was.

He’s a legend.

All good things come to an end. I’m drinking for JB tonight. We are lucky we had him.

I remember getting Coach Boeheim’s autograph at the Dome when I was 10 years old. I introduced my 10 year old daughter to him at Peach Jam in 2017. He was telling us how good Darius Bazely was. Amazing run. Sad to see him go, but excited for the future of Syracuse basketball.

I'm 66 and saw my first games at Manley. SU went to the final four my first year at SU. JB has meant more to my life than most people and I met him exactly once. Thanks, JB, for a lifetime of memories. We all knew it had to come to an end, but for years I've hoped for one more run. I wish we could have held on in 1987, but I have few complaints. The Big East was my favorite era, with so many great players and teams. Pearl was perhaps my favorite, standing up to Georgetown thugs. Thanks for enriching my life...

I'll be 72 next month. As a kid, I loved the Bing/Boeheim backcourt. As an SU student, I had the pleasure of watching him assist Roy Danforth. And then came a head coaching career, the likes of which few achieve. The end came today in about as awkward a way possible, and that saddens me.

I have had 3 interactions with him in my life. I sat next to him on a flight once and found him to be much friendlier than his sometimes-crusty persona. When SU played MSU 10 minutes from my house in 2003, and no tickets were to be had, my family sat behind the McNamara family courtesy of JB.

And when my beloved wife of 40 years celebrated her final birthday in hospice, JB sent a lovely video to her. I have a video of her watching with a big smile on her face, saying "Wow!" over and over. She passed the following morning.

Jim Boeheim IS Syracuse basketball. It was time for him to go...make no mistake about that...but he should never have taken the personal (excrement) from fans that he has taken the past few years, including from many on this board. Insults were thrown at him, his sons...who bleed Orange more than anybody here...were criticized and ridiculed constantly. A juvenile name was bestowed upon him by a poster (and note: to quote David St. Hubbins- "there is such a fine line between clever and stupid").

Congratulations on an incredible career Jim. We will be successful again, but never again will we have the type of sustained success that we have enjoyed with you for all of these years. Here is to a long and happy retirement.

I'm now all-in on Red. I hope that he can someday retire after an outstanding career as head coach at our alma mater, and I hope the PR Dept. can orchestrate it in a more graceful way than we saw today.

I'll be 72 next month. As a kid, I loved the Bing/Boeheim backcourt. As an SU student, I had the pleasure of watching him assist Roy Danforth. And then came a head coaching career, the likes of which few achieve. The end came today in about as awkward a way possible, and that saddens me.

I have had 3 interactions with him in my life. I sat next to him on a flight once and found him to be much friendlier than his sometimes-crusty persona. When SU played MSU 10 minutes from my house in 2003, and no tickets were to be had, my family sat behind the McNamara family courtesy of JB.

my beloved wife of 40 years celebrated her final birthday in hospice, JB sent a lovely video to her. I have a video of her watching with a big smile on her face, saying "Wow!" over and over. She passed the following morning.

Jim Boeheim IS Syracuse basketball. It was time for him to go...make no mistake about that...but he should never have taken the personal from fans that he has taken the past few years, including from many on this board. Insults were thrown at him, his sons...who bleed Orange more than anybody here...were criticized and ridiculed constantly. A juvenile name was bestowed upon him by a poster (and note: to quote David St. Hubbins- "there is such a fine line between clever and stupid").

Congratulations on an incredible career Jim. We will be successful again, but never again will we have the type of sustained success that we have enjoyed with you for all of these years. Here is to a long and happy retirement.

I'm now all-in on Red. I hope that he can someday retire after an outstanding career as head coach at our alma mater, and I hope the PR Dept. can orchestrate it in a more graceful way than we saw today.
Great story. Been following SU basketballs since I was 12. JB has been the coach since I was 18. End of an amazing Era. He'll be truly missed. Hope he stays involved in some capacity.

Ok, we’re doing this? I’m 66!

Roy Danforth was the head coach my freshman year in 1974-75. We knew next to nothing about the skinny kid with the big glasses sitting with him on the bench.

Obviously a true sports icon whose impact goes well beyond Syracuse, but whose heart and soul are pure CNY.

Beyond basketball, I will always be proud to be a Syracusan and relish the way Jim championed, protected and defended the community throughout his career. Who can forget the “Hawaii isn’t any different than Syracuse in July” quote.

He has proven to be a fiercely loyal underdog who has to fight for a scholarship, had to fight for the head coach job and had to fight for the immense respect he so deeply deserves. If this made him seem defensive and cold at times it also kept the passion burning through more than five decades.

A quick story. A close friend and fellow orange fan was at a public event that Jim was speaking at. My friend’s brother in law was a prostate cancer survivor who had recently been diagnosed with stage 4 stomach cancer. He had never met Coach, but went up to him, introduced himself and told the story. He asked Jim if he might take some time and Fire off a short email or such just to give him some encouragement. Coach asked if the brother in law could talk on the phone and asked my friend if he would call him. He then spent ten full minutes on the phone telling the cancer patient to fight, be strong and shared some of his cancer journey. He was called to the podium twice before finally signing off and inviting the man to a game as his guest.

I choose to consider that a truer portrait of the man rather than a argumentative press conference or two.

I remember just starting my career. At an investment Bank the city. Large group of alums would meet up at bars in the city every time Cuse played. We closed down many bars all over the city, then head to the game some you guys are on this board. Those were some of the best times of my life.

Last edited:
I don’t know most of you well enough to tie your handles to your sentiments. So just a general “f” you to those of you who have been part of the mob calling for this. Take you appreciation and shove it up your Hopkins.
How much longer did you want him to coach for? He is almost 79 and it’s sad, but it was time.

Legend.

58…remember the day he was hired. Gave most of us our greatest sports memory in New Orleans.

Great great great basketball mind and fierce competitor. Stood up to Georgetown when it seemed no one else could.

Wish it had ended more gracefully.
I was a sophomore at SU when he was hired. I remember him letting me stay and watch practices during my junior and senior years. He used to say practice is closed, but he came over to me and said I could stay. I cherish those memories.

Guy is a legend and one of the best basketball minds out there - if CBS is smart, they’re already leaving voice mails asking him to sit in during the NCAA tourney broadcasts.

Going to be crazy seeing him coaching Georgetown next year.

We may be in for some genuinely dark days for our basketball program. During our worst stretch of years under Boeheim we were still an above average team. This town really doesn't know what's it like to have a bad basketball team. Hopefully we won't have to find out.
Steve and I and a few others remember the 26 straight loses which got Guley fired and brought Lewis who brought Dave Bing to town.

Guy is a legend and one of the best basketball minds out there - if CBS is smart, they’re already leaving voice mails asking him to sit in during the NCAA tourney broadcasts.

Well played.

A Tony Demato from Any Given Sunday move? He gets hired there and brings Judah with him?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom