Jim Boeheim Appreciation thread. | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

Jim Boeheim Appreciation thread.

Absolutely false. This is a sad and shameful misrepresentation. As I said -shame on you for posting it. Tar and feathering? Wow. The appreciation is real, always has been and 99 pct of posts with any criticism have made it clear of the appreciation for all that he has done.
He's just mad because the bar at Applebee's won't serve him any more drafts.

the end was messy, as we long suspected it would be. but in time, the hard feelings will fade, JB will get his appreciation day at the dome, and we’ll forget the logistics of today.

i find myself both sad, and incredibly appreciative tonight. Jim Boeheim loved Syracuse. He loved the city. He loved the university. He loved the program. He loved it so much - he didn’t know when to leave. And maybe it had to end that way.

We all should be so appreciative for what this man did for Syracuse.

I am 51. I attended Jim Boeheim’s Big Orange Basketball Camp. Three times. I graduated from SU and I am embarrassed to admit his basketball program was the primary reason I chose to attend.

I watched it all, and to me, Jim Boeheim is ….
  • Complex
  • A winner/champion
  • A fierce competitor
  • A teacher
  • A truth teller
  • Loyal
  • Genuine
  • Approachable
  • Confident
  • Rigid
  • Steadfast
  • Giving/charitable
  • Worth 2-3 points per game
  • Undefeated in 6 OT games(!)
  • One of us
Tonight, I am filled with thanks/gratitude and compassion. Thank you, Coach. It was a blast. All of it.

Last edited:
I’m about to be 57. Feels like he’s been coach my entire life. Syracuse basketball wouldn’t be what it is without him. Great memories. Hall of Famer. National Champion. Some Cinderella runs late in his career in the tourney. He helped make the old Big East what it was.

He’s a legend.

All good things come to an end. I’m drinking for JB tonight. We are lucky we had him.
I'm 48. Made winters fun when there was nothing else to do. Great memories with my dad and uncle. When it came time to choose between UR and SU I picked the worse school that seemed way more fun. Big reason it seemed way more fun was JB.

The final four run of 96 was so fun. The Georgia game was the drunkest I've ever been. Sprinting to 44s after Kansas where people bought beers in plastic cups just to throw them. So fun. Then more hijinks after Mississippi St that were highly illegal. My best memory of one of the guys from college who died tragically.

My wife fell for Wes Johnson and his final fours later on were celebrated with our children who got in on the fun

Now my dad is 86, that uncle is very ill, friends have died, new fans born. I'm not trying to be sappy, it would be better if my life were a little more interesting but I've been very happy to spend a couple hours thirty times a winter watching the same guy win 3 out of 4. I'm very grateful.

Last edited:
I’m 55. Moved to DeWitt from Illinois back in 1976. I was seated next to Nodie Danforth in my new 3rd grade class. My first SU games were at Manley under the new head coach, some nerdy looking guy named Boeheim. The first game that I remember was a 144-92 beat down of Siena. I loved the atmosphere with the Zoo and their Who’s He? So What, etc. I was hooked. And the team won. A lot. The team was fun to watch too. Though my favorite players would come and go from Dale Shackleford through present day, the one constant has been Coach Boeheim.

I was in the Dome when Michelle Munn fell off the cheerleading pyramid and the place went silent. I was there the night of Pan Am 103. Hell, I even was in the Dome the night my dad passed away. Some might find that unusual, but as a 15 year old I wanted to be distracted and what felt right to me was to go to the place where I shared some great memories with my father.

I was also there when SU beat Villanova to win our first Big East title. I was there to see John Thompson get teed up and ejected as Billy Owens ensured a win against the dreaded Hoyas. I was also there to see the last time we were ranked number one. I’ve brought my three boys to games so they could see my happy place and to make memories with them.

So, to make a short story long, thank you Coach Boeheim. Thank you for everything. Thank you for the memories. It won’t be the same without you.

It's hard for me to think of anyone in the world that I've never actually met in-person or interacted with that also feels like more of a family member than Jim Boeheim...the end of an era for the entire sport of basketball, imo.

I'm 41 and I never actually went to school or lived in Syracuse. I grew up in the DC area. My dad was an alum and that's how I got into watching the team...and becoming obsessed. He took me to the cap center to watch the Orange battle Alonzo Mourning and Dikembe Mutombo for my first game - even though I fell asleep during the first half, I was hooked! haha *I was 7 years old, what do you expect?

I've been a diehard fan my entire life, basically...wow...knew this day would come but its surreal to try and imagine basketball without Jim Boeheim on the sidelines...

I was really hoping he would pull another rabbit out the hat like he always seemed to throughout the years...so I'm sad it ended the way it has. ...with such a whimper. because that's NOT who he is AT ALL. I'm sad his run is over, generally, but extra sad that it ended like this. for him, because I know how much he still wants to win and how much he still has to offer. And how nice it wouldve been if he couldve gone out on top.

its been rough since the move to the ACC, basically...and with all of the changes to the sport along the way...I have not enjoyed the way the sport has changed since the heyday of the 80s -90s to where it is now...but it was Boeheim and the Orange that kept me interested...after all the thrills and memories he and his teams gave me...I wasnt going anywhere... (despite being quite frustrated with the slow and seemingly inevitable devolution of recent seasons)

...I think JB did absolutely NOT misspeak when he said this season that college bball is in a bad place...so, now, in this new hyper-commercialized era, not sure at this point how much I will watch or how often...I'll definitely always be an Orange fan...but it will never be the same.

I imagine retirement might be hard for JB - being away from the sport he has participated in his entire adult life and the past 60 years - but I sure hope he can enjoy it!

Thanks for all you gave and all of the great memories watching the Cuse, JB!! You're 1 of 1 ...an icon and legend. And all the true Orange fans will forever miss seeing you on the sidelines!

Great memories! 72 years old and I remember watching Coach Boeheim in the same backcourt with Dave Bing. My dad and I would trek to Manley and watch games against all the ECAC teams. The last game I attended with dad was the overtime Big East Championship win against Villanova. Then the eighties and nineties were spent taking my own kids to NYC for the Big East Tournament and watching battles in a packed Dome against one great team after another. The culmination was sitting in my packed family room as Coach B brought us a NC. He orchestrated many of those happenings and I’ll be forever grateful to him for his part in those memories.

We had just moved within CNY the week after Thanksgiving 1976. I was a fish out of water at my new high school. The first weekend I sat at home on Saturday night and listened on the radio as Syracuse, with its new coach, shocked Denny Crum and Louisville by beating the Cardinals at Freedom Hall. That Monday morning a couple of kids next to my locker were excitedly talking about the game and I made my first friends at my new school thanks to Syracuse basketball. For better or worse, SU hoops has been a big part of my life and I owe a huge debt of gratitude to Jim Boeheim. It was never going to be easy for him to step down, but the timing is right. I hope he figures it out.

Regardless of the slide the past few seasons, today is a sad day in SU hoops history. JB gave us some of our best moments ever as sports fan.

Sports moments aside, can we talk about the impact this man has had, and the money he has raised for CANCER RESEARCH? GOAT status.

Thanks for everything you have done, James Arthur Boeheim. Both for the Syracuse community and in terms of cancer research and awareness. You have big shoes to fill.

I started at SU when coach took over. I hope he reads this and knows that he is special to so many of us. Thank you coach. You have made SU a national brand. You are the best. I know you want to give even more, and it is hard to leave before you want. You are very much appreciated and loved

I’ve said what I feel I have to say. Just to repeat one thing, how do you think the Boeheim family would feel about this appreciation thread today? It’s about him, right? Or is it? There, I said more. Put a mask on.
Have you considered renting a room at a Holiday Inn to get a good nights sleep?

I'll be 72 next month. As a kid, I loved the Bing/Boeheim backcourt. As an SU student, I had the pleasure of watching him assist Roy Danforth. And then came a head coaching career, the likes of which few achieve. The end came today in about as awkward a way possible, and that saddens me.

I have had 3 interactions with him in my life. I sat next to him on a flight once and found him to be much friendlier than his sometimes-crusty persona. When SU played MSU 10 minutes from my house in 2003, and no tickets were to be had, my family sat behind the McNamara family courtesy of JB.

And when my beloved wife of 40 years celebrated her final birthday in hospice, JB sent a lovely video to her. I have a video of her watching with a big smile on her face, saying "Wow!" over and over. She passed the following morning.

Jim Boeheim IS Syracuse basketball. It was time for him to go...make no mistake about that...but he should never have taken the personal (excrement) from fans that he has taken the past few years, including from many on this board. Insults were thrown at him, his sons...who bleed Orange more than anybody here...were criticized and ridiculed constantly. A juvenile name was bestowed upon him by a poster (and note: to quote David St. Hubbins- "there is such a fine line between clever and stupid").

Congratulations on an incredible career Jim. We will be successful again, but never again will we have the type of sustained success that we have enjoyed with you for all of these years. Here is to a long and happy retirement.

I'm now all-in on Red. I hope that he can someday retire after an outstanding career as head coach at our alma mater, and I hope the PR Dept. can orchestrate it in a more graceful way than we saw today.

It’s posts like this that make me love this board & this incredible community of fans we have. These stories are so moving and thank you for sharing, Dick

The most significant thing today is that my man Stevensen lured the legendary Raoul "Monster Dunks" Duke out of the shadows.

What a time to be alive!!!!
I was there about 25 years ago when people threw food at you in the parking lot where the military building is now pregaming before a football game. You lost a bet or something. Refresh my memory or confirm I’m a high functioning alcoholic.

I was there about 25 years ago when people threw food at you in the parking lot where the military building is now pregaming before a football game. You lost a bet or something. Refresh my memory or confirm I’m a high functioning alcoholic.
You're a low functioning alcoholic. PeteCalvin's mom threw her room key at me, in a Denny's parking lot.

I’m 61, been watching SU since they made a final four in the 70’s. I’ve watched, live or on tv, Ewing, Sleepy Floyd, Reggie Williams, Walter Berry, Wayman Tisdale, Chris Mullen, and so many more in exciting and meaningful contests.
I remember articles and opinion pieces in the Post Standard debating whether JB should be fired after each season in the early eighties. I recall the awful feeling of the final shot by Keith Smart in 87, and my reaction afterwards. And the crushing defeat to Illinois in ‘89 in the elite eight when we had a loaded team.
I remember reading a Sports Illustrated article in in the mid eighties that said the final four should be renamed the final three plus Syracuse after we landed Stevie Thompson, Derrick Coleman and a few others. I remember the incredible buzz around the program when SU landed the incredible playground and high school phenom named Pearl. And landing a kid named Sherman , that wanted to go to Georgetown, but they didn’t recruit him (thank God).
I also remember the first season of the Bg East, culminating in an SU victory over Villanova in the championship game.

And many, many , many more great memories, all thanks to Jim Boeheim. I am glad we are moving on but also very thankful for a million great memories.

Last edited:
Admins. Save this post. Please.
Not sure how you don't remember. It was the weekend of the Georgetown game, a Saturday afternoon game. You spent the morning eating rocks of crack like so many Fruity Pebbles, you benched pressed a then PR of 315 pounds while laying shirtless on a bench covered in shards of glass and rusty nails. Later that night, you were chased out of a dairy barn in Morrisville by an angry and rather confused bull. It was awesome.

Last edited:
JB's first year as head coach was my first year at Syracuse. So many great memories and good times.

Next year's first game will feel very strange for me. Then, I'll be back to bleeding Orange after the first 10 seconds.

Thank you, JB, for everything you've done for Syracuse basketball.

I'll be 72 next month. As a kid, I loved the Bing/Boeheim backcourt. As an SU student, I had the pleasure of watching him assist Roy Danforth. And then came a head coaching career, the likes of which few achieve. The end came today in about as awkward a way possible, and that saddens me.

I have had 3 interactions with him in my life. I sat next to him on a flight once and found him to be much friendlier than his sometimes-crusty persona. When SU played MSU 10 minutes from my house in 2003, and no tickets were to be had, my family sat behind the McNamara family courtesy of JB.

And when my beloved wife of 40 years celebrated her final birthday in hospice, JB sent a lovely video to her. I have a video of her watching with a big smile on her face, saying "Wow!" over and over. She passed the following morning.

Jim Boeheim IS Syracuse basketball. It was time for him to go...make no mistake about that...but he should never have taken the personal (excrement) from fans that he has taken the past few years, including from many on this board. Insults were thrown at him, his sons...who bleed Orange more than anybody here...were criticized and ridiculed constantly. A juvenile name was bestowed upon him by a poster (and note: to quote David St. Hubbins- "there is such a fine line between clever and stupid").

Congratulations on an incredible career Jim. We will be successful again, but never again will we have the type of sustained success that we have enjoyed with you for all of these years. Here is to a long and happy retirement.

I'm now all-in on Red. I hope that he can someday retire after an outstanding career as head coach at our alma mater, and I hope the PR Dept. can orchestrate it in a more graceful way than we saw today.

Great post. It was time but the ending was messy. People here who posted dumb and insulting things showed their character or lack thereof. I hope Jimmy can get past this forced ending and remain a huge part of the Cuse family for years to come.

Cuse

Almost 68. Dad took me to my first SU game the year before JB got there. Went to a few more his freshman year and we’d watch the freshman games too. They were more fun than the “varsity”. Fam got seasons the next season due to some kid named Bing. So I’ve been watching JB forever. Most of my happiest moments were SU basketball (aside from family related) and JB was a big part of all of them. He’ll always be a legend in my mind and things won’t be the same without him. Good luck in whatever you choose to do now coach (lots of golf). Now it’s time to say good luck to Red too and LGO just like the past 60 years.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom