Jim Boeheim quote about his star freshman after loss: | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Jim Boeheim quote about his star freshman after loss:

I don’t think anyone of note has ever or will ever mention Melo and Mintz in the same conversation.
I think the premise of this thread was to get people thinking JB was speaking about Mintz at least that was what the title of the thread would lead most to think. The similarity is this, Melo, best player on the team. I think the same can be said about Mintz, although some may say Jesse or even Joe.

Here's my Mintz concern--

That's 3 times this season that he has had very bad moments at crunch time--down 2 with less than a minute vs. Miami, down 1 with 15 seconds to go vs. Pitt, in OT vs St John's. Sorta the opposite of Tyler Ennis.

That's 3 times this season that he has had very bad moments at crunch time--down 2 with less than a minute vs. Miami, down 1 with 15 seconds to go vs. Pitt, in OT vs St John's. Sorta the opposite of Tyler Ennis.
Add falling vs LVille

He’s not Melo or Pearl or Flynn where as a coach you’ve done your job if they simply have the ball at the end.

Unfortunately it’s not that easy. Gotta do more, here.

I think people all get that Freshman have bad games. But Melo and Mintz situations were night and day, both in context of the team and personally.
To be honest, I'm WAY less upset with Judah than I am with the man behind the curtain. His management (or mismanagement) of that second half was just absurdly bad.
Are you saying it was... obtuse?

Different roles on their teams. Of course, Melo is the best player most of us have seen, Bing was before I went to SU but since the Mid 70's. Not being as good a player as Melo was, is no indictment. Being mentioned positively in the same convo as Melo is a huge compliment.
Melo and I dribble too much at times

Well.. he's not a natural lead guard, so we have to expect growing pains.

Not trying to bend over backwards to defend him, because he was terrible, but perspective is required.

The kid is not a natural lead guard

Everyone always wants to put the chef in the same conversation as Jim. It's Jim's version of le potage magnifique using a stock pantry.

I have little doubt that many of the people criticizing JB for keeping Mintz in the game would have criticized JB for taking Mintz out of the game if we still lost.
No it was obvious he was done. They were in his head. Watch the game again.

No it was obvious he was done. They were in his head. Watch the game again.
I would have taken him out myself. I said as much after the game. I just don’t think JB’s a horrible coach for leaving him in.

I would have taken him out myself. I said as much after the game. I just don’t think JB’s a horrible coach for leaving him in.
It’s not even that I would’ve taken him out at the end, I just wouldn’t have taken Symir out while he was doing what I thought was a good job, and far better than Judah showed the entire game.

If I was on staff, I would print out and blow up a photo for him of every single instance he is missing open shooters each game. That's all he needs to work on IMO, maturity will take time. There has to be 4 or 5 times a game where about 8 players are in or near the paint while Judah has the ball, and JT or CB are standing 20 feet away with no one else between they and the scrum.
It's a lot easier to MMQB and watch on TV than it is in real-time. It would be different if players were looked off and frozen out.

It's a lot easier to MMQB and watch on TV than it is in real-time. It would be different if players were looked off and frozen out.
He doesn’t look to pass. That’s the whole point.

And anyone looking to make the association needs to understand that driving and kicking to a shooter outside the 3 line is the entire game today.

So do you think opposing teams have figured out that Mintz is going to have the ball in those situations, and are setting-up their defenses accordingly?

It will be interesting to see how Judah develops.

Then there’s Copeland in the mix too, who seems to project best as a PG.

If Mintz’s outside shot develops to the point where he can hit 30%+ from 3 on “normal” volume (normal, meaning not passing up open 3’s), and Copeland develops as a guy that needs to be in the game…..do we move Mintz to the 2 but treat it like the Scoop/Triche/Waiters or MCW/Triche combos where the 2 guard has a lot of PG skills and plays the role at times?

I think Judah would KILL in a Waiters type role if he could become a decent 3 point shooter. Dion’s shooting improved greatly his soph year. That’s what I’m hoping for personally, next year.

I think Judah averages 20 ppg if he’s at the 2 next to Copeland next year - provided Copeland is ready.

It will be interesting to see how Judah develops.

Then there’s Copeland in the mix too, who seems to project best as a PG.

If Mintz’s outside shot develops to the point where he can hit 30%+ from 3 on “normal” volume (normal, meaning not passing up open 3’s), and Copeland develops as a guy that needs to be in the game…..do we move Mintz to the 2 but treat it like the Scoop/Triche/Waiters or MCW/Triche combos where the 2 guard has a lot of PG skills and plays the role at times?

I think Judah would KILL in a Waiters type role if he could become a decent 3 point shooter. Dion’s shooting improved greatly his soph year. That’s what I’m hoping for personally, next year.

I think Judah averages 20 ppg if he’s at the 2 next to Copeland next year - provided Copeland is ready.
I’m not sure if I could handle a less efficient and more volume Tyus Battle.

I’m not sure if I could handle a less efficient and more volume Tyus Battle.
I was thinking more along the lines of a smaller Dion Waiters if he’d played 35 mpg on a weaker team where he shot more.

Tyus would be remembered more fondly if we weren’t playing 3 on 5 on offense. I’m banking on Copeland being better than Howard, and whoever is the center having more offensive ability than Chukwu.

Great article about Mintz after the Miami game in the Post Standard. He seems to get it and understands it takes time. JB has his full support.

“He probably over-dribbled a little bit today,” Syracuse coach Jim Boeheim said. “It’s a learning experience.”

About Melo following loss to Pitt where Melo had a season low in points.
Over dibbled is the key word.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cuse702

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom