Class of 2016 - Jimmy Boeheim Verbal to Cornell | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2016 Jimmy Boeheim Verbal to Cornell

As a former D3 player I'd like to think most are better then your average walk-on. I played with a D3 All-American who went on to play professionally in Europe for a bit.

I also think D3 ball in Syracuse is a lot better in this area. Other then St. Rose, and Lemoyne, they're aren't as many D2 programs around in comparison to the rest of the country.
I agree - I wasn't trying to sell D3 players short. I think people hear "walk on" and assume they would tear it up in D3. I mean more that the best walk ons would typically be good D3 players. A couple years ago my school had a 6-3, super athletic guard who shot about 35% from three despite being more of a slashing scorer, and he would have EASILY been the best walk on at Syracuse. Of course he was our conference's Player of the Year, so that stands to reason, obviously.

Academics is a reason some players are at the lower divisions. Theres talented players in those lower divisions that could play D1/FBS

I'm not sure academics is necessarily the cause for D3. I mean, some of the best teams in the country are schools like Emory, Amherst, Bates, Dickinson, Johns Hopkins, etc. There are obviously some crappier schools, but for the most part the basketball players who struggle academically but can ball out tend to wind up in D2 or NAIA.

I said in some cases its true. And im sure theres a million more reasons out there, like size and height as well.

I'm not sure academics is necessarily the cause for D3. I mean, some of the best teams in the country are schools like Emory, Amherst, Bates, Dickinson, Johns Hopkins, etc. There are obviously some crappier schools, but for the most part the basketball players who struggle academically but can ball out tend to wind up in D2 or NAIA.

You're right about NAIA. They have that tournament here in Kansas City every year and they have some guys who can play for sure. My dad goes down for one day every year. It's pretty fun. They have 8 games in each of two opening round days starting at 9 am with the last one tipping off at 10:30 pm. They games go really quick with a nice flow though without media timeouts. But I digress... back to the original topic now.

As a former D3 player I'd like to think most are better then your average walk-on. I played with a D3 All-American who went on to play professionally in Europe for a bit.

I also think D3 ball in Syracuse is a lot better in this area. Other then St. Rose, and Lemoyne, they're aren't as many D2 programs around in comparison to the rest of the country.

I agree. SU has had walk-ons lately that would not be capable of being fringe all-conference D-3 players. Some of our guys have been too physically challenged (height, athleticism) to dominate on the D-3 level.

You're right about NAIA. They have that tournament here in Kansas City every year and they have some guys who can play for sure. My dad goes down for one day every year. It's pretty fun. They have 8 games in each of two opening round days starting at 9 am with the last one tipping off at 10:30 pm. They games go really quick with a nice flow though without media timeouts. But I digress... back to the original topic now.
Trust me, I know - I've worked that tournament. My first year out of college I was an intern at the NAIA national office, and worked the full men's DI tournament in Kansas City. 32 teams squeezed into a 5 day tournament. Those were some looooooong days of work, but fun.

I think that year the final game didn't finish until like 2 AM because we were so backed up. I think it was Azusa Pacific, so being a west coast team they had an edge since it felt like 2 hours earlier for them.

I said in some cases its true. And im sure theres a million more reasons out there, like size and height as well.
I know, that's why I said that there are some crappy academic D3 schools, so I was agreeing that in some cases that's the case. But just also adding that more often, the kids who can't cut it academically end up in NAIA or maybe at a D2. Height and athleticism is the other big one. My brother, for instance, had a D1 skill level, but he was undersized (6-5 and a half, or so, and not athletic enough to play on the perimeter so he was stuck playing PF or C). So rather than try to walk on somewhere, he went and played at Dickinson before realizing he hated the coach and giving up hoops after transferring out.

albanycuse said:
I'd bet in most cases it was height. Most centers were about 6'6 give or take an inch. For guards, quickness factored in a lot more. The thing with D3 games are imo it's better pure basketball. A lot more fundamental. shooting is far better since you can't rely on athleticism.

Hamilton and St. Lawerance are 2 of the better D3 schools in the area, and both are great academic schools. Id say most of the kids who are D1 talent , but are academic risks go the JC, or NAIA route.

Does he become a walk on candidate with the current scholarship reductions? Could he be in the Andy Rautins mold?
Watched JB play CBA over the weekend in the Section 3 playoffs. CBA dusted JB in the 3rd quarter, it got ugly after that. CBA had the two best players on the court, a 6'2 kid named Stroman and a 6'3 frosh named Charlie Pride, who has a really nice outside shot. Pride is only a freshman, averaged 12 PPG this season, and I think he could be a high level D1 player by the time he is done.

17050963-standard.jpg

Charlie Pride

I agree, JB II is not a D1 player but he has some skills and could be a walk-on at SU. I think if he went somewhere like Hamilton or Ithaca, he could be a major contributor. I think he might even be able to play at an Ivy League school if that is the direction he wants to go.

It will be interesting to see where he ends up.

Do they offer free tuition for 7 years at the Tommy Boy School of Math Studies?

It was kind of awkward first telling my parents, then begging the school for a 5th year course. My logic was you told me that I could get X amount of credit hours. Turns out that if I fail a class, I don't get those credit hours. So that shouldn't count.

My parents didn't much see the logic.

"The head men's basketball coach was found to have provided thousands of dollar worth of clothing, food, and health benefits over years leading up to the student-athlete accepting an agreement of financial aid."

It was the University who provided those health benefits. Clearly someone in the HR department should be fired.

Watched JB play CBA over the weekend in the Section 3 playoffs. CBA dusted JB in the 3rd quarter, it got ugly after that. CBA had the two best players on the court, a 6'2 kid named Stroman and a 6'3 frosh named Charlie Pride, who has a really nice outside shot. Pride is only a freshman, averaged 12 PPG this season, and I think he could be a high level D1 player by the time he is done.

17050963-standard.jpg

Charlie Pride

I agree, JB II is not a D1 player but he has some skills and could be a walk-on at SU. I think if he went somewhere like Hamilton or Ithaca, he could be a major contributor. I think he might even be able to play at an Ivy League school if that is the direction he wants to go.

It will be interesting to see where he ends up.
It would be interesting to see him at IC. Having Wolfgang Shafer and Jimmy Boeheim on South Hill would be kind of cool for this old Bomber to see!

Charlie Pride? Can he sing as well as ball?

I always thought that Ithaca would be a great D3 school to play for simply because "Bombers" is such a ridiculously cool team name.

They tried to change the mascot a few years ago and luckily they came to their senses. The 3 finalists were: Lake Beast, Phoenix, or Flying Squirrel. It's bad enough that we've pissed away the Cortaca jug the last couple of years , but do we really need to give Cortland more ammo to abuse us with??!!

Dropped 31 last night. Seems to me he should be a walk-on target with our limited numbers. Seems a much better player than our 2 current JD walk-ons.

Dropped 31 last night. Seems to me he should be a walk-on target with our limited numbers. Seems a much better player than our 2 current JD walk-ons.
According to the ESPN piece on his father, the son is going to prep school next year in hopes of attracting D-I attention, perhaps from the Ivies.

did sam rautins transfer?

Moved to Canada:

Sam Rautins is a 2018 combo guard who will be attending St. Michael's College School, in Toronto, Ontario, this September (start of sophomore year). Sam is currently listed at 6'3" and 175 pounds and is still growing. Sam plays AAU for Team Tyler Ennis under the C.I.A. Bounce program. He is the son of former NBA player Leo Rautins and brother of current professional baller Andy Rautins.

According to the ESPN piece on his father, the son is going to prep school next year in hopes of attracting D-I attention, perhaps from the Ivies.
Would he be able to get the 'parent is an SU employee' free/reduced tuition? I wouldn't see that as a hurdle, just wondering how athletes would fall under that. Does Autry Jr get to go to SU for free?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom