Jimmy's Stubbornness... | Syracusefan.com

Jimmy's Stubbornness...

newmexicuse

All Conference
He has his methods. They have produced amazing year in and year out success for the program.

However, we had great teams that didn't get very far when AO went down and Melo didn't qualify. Why- because the entire season was spent not developing anybody. Last season, JB got lucky when Southerland had his issues; otherwise, Grant would not have been at all developed.

This year, it was SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO obvious that the mojo was lost after the first Duke game. Our play just gradually declined even before the first loss came. To me, the slump was inevitable, though I certainly did not think it would get this bad.

There is simply no excuse to have the talent we have sitting on the bench not playing at all. How can Patterson and/or BJ not even get a look when Trevor has played this poorly and it is obvious that Mike G can't score ??? Why is Trevor such a golden boy ?? He is allowed and even encouraged to shoot at every opportunity even when he is only hitting 25% or less. Mike G has his role, but his role should be on the bench when the team is struggling to score as much as it has struggled. All season long Fair and Grant played with their tongues hanging out and heaven forbid that Roberson got more than a minute here or there.

Finally, Roberson gets a chance, mixed reviews on how he played. Point is - he has the FRIGGIN talent. If the talent was developed all season long he could have been ready and stepped in nicely for Jerami. He still might if Jerami stays sidelined. There was another thread saying that Jimmy threw the kid under the bus. Hope it wasn't true, but if it was - simply awful by the coach.

Yes, I am frustrated. I am frustrated by what has been obvious to me and to some others on this forum all season long. I am frustrated because we have a team in crisis mode, and not a team that is getting better and stronger as the season has progressed. This team was #1. It showed what it's capability is, there is no excuse for this level of deterioration.

Yes, I have officially melted down.

I feel you bra.

He has his methods. They have produced amazing year in and year out success for the program.

However, we had great teams that didn't get very far when AO went down and Melo didn't qualify. Why- because the entire season was spent not developing anybody. Last season, JB got lucky when Southerland had his issues; otherwise, Grant would not have been at all developed.

This year, it was SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO obvious that the mojo was lost after the first Duke game. Our play just gradually declined even before the first loss came. To me, the slump was inevitable, though I certainly did not think it would get this bad.

There is simply no excuse to have the talent we have sitting on the bench not playing at all. How can Patterson and/or BJ not even get a look when Trevor has played this poorly and it is obvious that Mike G can't score ??? Why is Trevor such a golden boy ?? He is allowed and even encouraged to shoot at every opportunity even when he is only hitting 25% or less. Mike G has his role, but his role should be on the bench when the team is struggling to score as much as it has struggled. All season long Fair and Grant played with their tongues hanging out and heaven forbid that Roberson got more than a minute here or there.

Finally, Roberson gets a chance, mixed reviews on how he played. Point is - he has the FRIGGIN talent. If the talent was developed all season long he could have been ready and stepped in nicely for Jerami. He still might if Jerami stays sidelined. There was another thread saying that Jimmy threw the kid under the bus. Hope it wasn't true, but if it was - simply awful by the coach.

Yes, I am frustrated. I am frustrated by what has been obvious to me and to some others on this forum all season long. I am frustrated because we have a team in crisis mode, and not a team that is getting better and stronger as the season has progressed. This team was #1. It showed what it's capability is, there is no excuse for this level of deterioration.

Yes, I have officially melted down.

Once again, I'm giving a like simply for the meltdown reference. I wish OttoinGrotto would make a Meltdown Meter(tm) to go along with his Shaky Potatoes Tracker(or that anyone who can, would).

I am frustrated because we have a team in crisis mode, and not a team that is getting better and stronger as the season has progressed. This team was #1. It showed what it's capability is, there is no excuse for this level of deterioration..
If this team had remained fully healthy and this slide had occurred, you would have a point. But that's not what happened. Lots of basketball yet to be played...

If this team had remained fully healthy and this slide had occurred, you would have a point. But that's not what happened. Lots of basketball yet to be played...

But that is one of the biggest reasons a bench needs to be developed over the season. Injuries happen, especially when players are playing 38 minutes per game all season long.

The lack of bench development is my biggest and probably only gripe that I have with JB. But he has always been like this. Nothing new. Didn't he say something about Billy Owens back in the day? Something like, "I have Billy Owens on my team, why would I play anybody else"

Great coach, but stubborn as hell.

Last edited:
There was another thread saying that Jimmy threw the kid under the bus. Hope it wasn't true, but if it was - simply awful by the coach.

It's true, I hate to say. Watched the press conference after and he spent significant time putting Roberson down. Even some things that weren't attributed to a specific player, but were obvious he was talking about someone or all of the bench players not being able to contribute. Seamed to me that JB was more reacting to questions from the media that he didn't like (questions that seemed to call into question his decision not to give these guys minutes earlier in the year).

I love Boeheim, but, I was disappointed by his comments last night

Quote unquote

“And again, there’s a reason why guys aren’t playing until we have to play them. It’s obvious that they are not ready to play. We had a very thin line. We could win with six guys, and if you take any one of those guys out of there like Jerami (Grant) or C.J. (Fair) or Tyler (Ennis), we’re not going to be able to win unless somebody can do more than they’re doing right now.

I get that JB doesn't like to play guys who he doesn't feel knows the defense but when we are having trouble scoring and you have guys who could potentially score on the bench it seems crazy that they don't get any run. What is the worst that can happen? They go for 3-12 from 3 like Cooney?

He is obviously a great coach but he really hasn't done a good job this year.

That's the purpose of a bench. Christ, of all teams, we should know that (AO anyone???). When you play 30+ games of D1 basketball, injuries happen. It's a physical game. You expect injuries. That is in part why benches are vital.

We didn't go far during the AO and Fab years? That's absurd. We lost to national runner up Butler and a great Ohio State team and we were close to beating them both without arguably our most valuable players on both squads. Any team loses what we lost those years and one and done isn't out of the question.

GoHamSU said:
That's the purpose of a bench. Christ, of all teams, we should know that (AO anyone???). When you play 30+ games of D1 basketball, injuries happen. It's a physical game. You expect injuries. That is in part why benches are vital.

What if the players on the bench aren't that good? If they're not going to help why even play them if you don't think they're going to improve. If JB thought game time would improve ANY of these guys he would have.

Every coach in America, including JB, plays everybody early, then goes with the guys he has the most confidence in when the conference season starts. The number of such players is not his doing. It's the players.

Two years ago that was Melo, Christmas, Keita, Joseph, Fair, Southerland Jardine, Triche and Waiters. 9 guys.

Last year that was Christmas, Keita, Coleman, Fair, Southerland, Grant, Carter-Williams, Triche and Cooney. That's also 9 guys, although by the end of the year Coleman was hurt and his confidence in Cooney had to be waning.

This year it's Christmas, Keita, Fair, Grant, Gbinije, Ennis and Cooney, with Coleman hurt. That's 7 guys and 6 until Grant gets back. That's not something JB "does every year". It's the way things worked out this year.

Last edited:
What if the players on the bench aren't that good? If they're not going to help why even play them if you don't think they're going to improve. If JB thought game time would improve ANY of these guys he would have.

If you don't think they would improve then why would you have recruited them in the first place ??

If they were good enough to recruit then they are good enough to be developed.

These are not the Ethan Cole and Bill Celuck days.

Every coach in America, including JB, plays everybody early, then goes with the guys he has the most confidence in when the conference season starts. The number of such players is not his doing. It's the players.

Two years ago that was Melo, Christmas, Keita, Joseph, Fair, Southerland Jardine, Triche and Waiters. 9 guys.

Last year that was Christmas, Keita, Coleman, Fair, Southerland, Grant, Carter-Williams, Triche and Cooney. That's also 9 guys, although by the end of the year Coleman was hurt and His confidence in Cooney had to be waning.

This year it's Christmas, Keita, Fair, Grant, Gbinije, Ennis and Cooney, with Coleman hurt. That's 7 guys and 6 until Grant gets back. That's not something JB "does every year". It's the way things worked out this year.

Grant hardly played before Southerland was suspended. JB was forced to play him. He played well, and still didn't get enough PT after Southerland came back.

And Cooney was put in last season solely to see if he was hot. If he came in and missed two 3's, he got the hook immediately.

So last years team is hardly a great example of developing a bench.

Grant hardly played before Southerland was suspended. JB was forced to play him. He played well, and still didn't get enough PT after Southerland came back.

And Cooney was put in last season solely to see if he was hot. If he came in and missed two 3's, he got the hook immediately.

So last years team is hardly a great example of developing a bench.

If Cooney "got the hook", JB obviously went to his bench. Grant played 572 minutes last year. Roberson has played 153 this year. Not really a comparison.

He values winning over everything; will not jeopardize even an early season game by playing/developing bench. The guy who will soon win ROY in the NBA went full conference games without seeing the floor as a freshman. JB didn't trust to play him over those he trusted more. He will say it worked out great -- for Cuse and for MCW. A part of JB is fine with Roberson's shaky play as it validates his methods. He's not going to change.

If Cooney "got the hook", JB obviously went to his bench. Grant played 572 minutes last year. Roberson has played 153 this year. Not really a comparison.

How long was Southerland suspended? Like 6 games? Grant has been missing for about 2 so far. And the season isn't over. You are right. it's not really a comparison...

newmexicuse said:
If you don't think they would improve then why would you have recruited them in the first place ?? If they were good enough to recruit then they are good enough to be developed. These are not the Ethan Cole and Bill Celuck days.

I'm talking about in season. My three sons have 3 years left after this one. Judging by the way Roberson played I can't even imagine where BJ and Patterson are right now. So you really want to see them out there at this point?

I'm talking about in season. My three sons have 3 years left after this one. Judging by the way Roberson played I can't even imagine where BJ and Patterson are right now. So you really want to see them out there at this point?

What is the downside? They miss shots? Our starters are already doing that. We lose? Again our starters are already doing that.

What is the downside? They miss shots? Our starters are already doing that. We lose? Again our starters are already doing that.

Miss shots, turn the ball over, play poor defense, There is no question that Jb is stubborn at times, but he knows his roster, if he hought guys like Johnson and Patterson could help us win, they would be playing

Miss shots, turn the ball over, play poor defense, There is no question that Jb is stubborn at times, but he knows his roster, if he hought guys like Johnson and Patterson could help us win, they would be playing

Then you could take them out and put the other guys back in, but now the other guys have been rested.

It's been stated a billion times, but there's a reason why you have a bench. Humans get tired. Even LeBron James gets tired, did you see last night's game vs the Rockets? He was gassed due to a back-to-back and scoring 60+ the night before...and guess what happened...he didn't play very well! Amazing how that works.

Then you could take them out and put the other guys back in, but now the other guys have been rested.

It's been stated a billion times, but there's a reason why you have a bench. Humans get tired. Even LeBron James gets tired, did you see last night's game vs the Rockets? He was gassed due to a back-to-back and scoring 60+ the night before...and guess what happened...he didn't play very well! Amazing how that works.

Its not about rest right now, this team can't be tired, they had four days off before the Uva game, and last night if anyone should have been tired it was Gtech, they played on sunday night, and had to travel.

There is a huge difference in scoring 60 one night, and play the next night, and having two days rest after you laid an egg the game before.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom