JJ Starling Transferring to Syracuse | Page 10 | Syracusefan.com

JJ Starling Transferring to Syracuse

D928FF35-9DD0-489C-85E0-ED0019D993F9.jpeg

Judah posted this.. looks like he maybe coming back.. I really hope so

Ok, not for nothing but I'm starting to get a little weary of the "JB didn't do...blah blah blah" incantations present in a multitude of posts in this, and other threads.
Notwithstanding that there were plenty of shortcomings the last few years, but the loyalty gene to JB is strong with me. He's not here anymore...and this is now Red's show.
I'll always love the man and all he did- but can we put JB in the past where he belongs? Not as some relic, but as the architect of this program and all that that entails? And not to forget or to whitewash the past- but as an honest intention to finally move beyond it.
Call me hypersensitive, but I'm guilty as charged.

Ok, not for nothing but I'm starting to get a little weary of the "JB didn't do...blah blah blah" incantations present in a multitude of posts in this and other threads.
Notwithstanding that there were plenty of shortcomings the last few years, but the loyalty gene to JB is strong with me. He's not here anymore...and this is now Red's show.
I'll always love the man and all he did- but can we put JB in the past where he belongs? Not as some relic, but as the architect of this program and all that that entails? And not to forget or to whitewash the past- but as an honest intention to finally move beyond it.

stripes lighten GIF

Ok, not for nothing but I'm starting to get a little weary of the "JB didn't do...blah blah blah" incantations present in a multitude of posts in this, and other threads.
Bombay, stop being hypersensitive....:)

Who will shoot 3s?

Oh, we know who will shoot 3’s.

What we need to find out - who will make them at a respectable clip.

In 2013 we made the FF with Soph MCW and Sr RoboTriche both hitting < 30% from 3.

Southerland & Fair picked up the slack and both shot extremely well from 3, in large part based on the attention 2 big, athletic, driving guards draws from opponents D.

We won’t need Mintz & JJ shooting 40+ from 3 (but we will take it!!),
mid-30’s is more than sufficient to balance out their driving games.

We will need at least 1-2 other guys (Bell, Taylor. Benny, Portal forward TBD) to also hit at a decent clip, to open things up for everyone.

Your not correct. It's a false choice. JJ does not mean Mintz leaves and the completement each other. If Mintz leaves then we have to replace him regardless with someone and JJ is a great option. If he stays which seems very possible we have a great back court.
Let’s go to school. It’s you’re, not your. Now try to follow. This is the original comment you jumped in on,
“Unfortunately if Judah leaves it isn’t a net gain.” This is a statement relative to an essential subtraction of one player and addition of another. The team is not strengthened by the addition of Starling and the subtraction of Mintz. That’s it. So “if he stays” is an inane comment. Adding JJ DOESN’T mean Mintz necessarily goes. I didn’t say it did. Yes, it is a great option to replace Mintz with Starling. I agree. However I believe that would not constitute a net gain for the team. In point of fact it would be a drop off. Now why don’t you follow the logic, man up, and take note of the fact that I am correct, or point out why I am not. Understand it isn’t about a “false choice”. It isn’t about a choice at all (other than one which hopefully won’t be made by Judah).

I would take Joe back. I expect to move to a lot of 3 guard lineups. He would get a lot of open shots.

Scoop took a reduced role his senior year. If he wants to win there's no reason he couldn't be a successful player playing 25 mpg.
I can see this scenario, but if Joe decides he’s okay with being a microwave bench guy, I can also see him wanting to do that at a different school. Joe’s a smart kid, and I’m sure after playing 32 games with Judah and receiving maybe 2-3 total kick out passes on his drives to the hoop for a 3 point attempt, he doesn’t see too many opportunities. Put that on top of a potential Judah and JJ combo show, I’m not sure that would also be a great scenario for him receiving kick out passes.

I hope most of you guys are right, but I'm skeptical of a guard who only makes 29% of 3s and 63% of his FTs.
Whether sports or academics, we go through college to learn, grow, mature and get better.

personally, I cant help it - if it had been just 1 or 2 years or so - not 9 (!) maybe...

and if the decision making process he used prioritized winning above all else then yeah...but that obviously wasnt the case...so for me...yes ...but not yet.

wilding watching the “true fans” become the “Debbie Downers”
There are STHers next to us who hit me with both “we aren’t renewing if JB is gone” and “be careful what you wish for” during the Georgia Tech game two weeks ago.

There is a faction of “fans” who think like that who, deep down, will be rooting against Red’s success.

There are STHers next to us who hit me with both “we aren’t renewing if JB is gone” and “be careful what you wish for” during the Georgia Tech game two weeks ago.

There is a faction of “fans” who think like that who, deep down, will be rooting against Red’s success.
They can go. Maybe they’ll take up knitting or doing puzzles or something.

Honestly, it’s not a surprise. The guy was here literally forever. None of us know SU BB that doesn’t include JB. I’ve gone through a number of recent seasons in a daze, barely watching, not a ton of interest. I think it’s a shock even with the downward slide to have him really be gone. I think also going through a daze the last how many years I didn’t realize how bad things really had gotten, how far away we had gone from when I was younger. So I bet there’s a ton of fans that had fallen in the trap of this is who we are and that’s okay b/c JB is in charge.

They’ll change their thinking if BB becomes fun to watch again.

A Judah + JJ starting backcourt makes me very happy. It’s been so very long since we’ve had that type of athleticism in our guards. It used to be a staple of SU basketball. Glad to see Red’s first move is to take a step toward that style of ball again.
Great! JJ came home for himself, us and his family. Nice start for Red.

The best guard tandem I ever saw play for us were Sherman Douglas and Stevie Thompson.
A traditional point guard, Sherman Douglas was the ultimate floor leader, leading Syracuse to its best three year run in school history. 'The General' was an excellent ball handler, who was a clutch scorer during the crucial moments of the game.

His centers/power forwards were Coleman and Seikaly two excellent bigs on those teams and that makes a huge difference.

With Douglas alley - oop pass to Thompson on the fast break or Coleman or Seiklay to slam it, we had tremendous guard play and a lot of scoring.

But, things aren't traditional in basketball anymore.

Maybe JJ and Mintz working together in the backcourt can create a dynamic duo, if you will, with Mintz at the point and Starling at the shooting guard - although, IMO, both are drivers with Starlings ND tape being the more experienced in control of the ball and scoring. They both can create and score and that's a good thing.

If JJ and Judah are going get creative and drive it to the basket seems like the tape I saw from dmacnabbrules, Starling does have both an excellent handle and driving skills to the basket, good mid range plus he can hit the 3 from the corner.

At least we will have, if Judah arrives again, two excellent guards. The biggest point here though is without Jesse we do not have a legit Center and we need that position covered. I hope he's back if we are looking to be a good team next year.

In any case we are the much better for JJ coming home than without him. But, both Judah and Jesse need to play next season to make it all work. Otherwise it's the portal - good luck with that.

Last edited:

I hope those are few and far between because those aren’t real fans. You root for the team regardless of coach or players. Any real fan would have been rooting for JB (some weren’t) and will be rooting for Red.

Great JJ came home for himself, us and his family. Nice start for Red.

The best guard tandem I ever saw play for us were Sherman Douglas and Stevie Thompson.
A traditional point guard, Sherman Douglas was the ultimate floor leader, leading Syracuse to its best three year run in school history. 'The General' was an excellent ball handler, who was a clutch scorer during the crucial moments of the game.

His centers/power forwards were Coleman and Seikaly two excellent bigs on those teams with and that makes a huge difference.

With Douglas alley - oop pass to Thompson on the fast break or Coleman or Seiklay to slam it, we had tremendous guard play and a lot of scoring.

But, things aren't traditional in basketball anymore.

Maybe JJ and Mintz working together in the backcourt can create a dynamic duo, if you will, with Mintz at the point and Starling at the shooting guard - although, IMO, both are drivers with Starlings ND tape being the more experienced in control of the ball and scoring. They both can create and score and that's a good thing.

If JJ and Judah are going get creative and drive it to the basket seems like the tape I saw from dmacnabbrules, Starling does have both an excellent handle and driving skills to the basket, good mid range plus he can hit the 3 from the corner.

At least we will have, if Judah arrives again, two excellent guards. The biggest point here though is without Jesse we do not have a legit Center and we need that position covered. I hope he's back if we are looking to be a good team next year.

In any case we are the much better for JJ coming home than without him. But, both Judah and Jesse need to play next season to make it all work. Otherwise it's the portal - good luck with that.
As hard as Red has been visiting recruits this past weekend, and working the portal, I'm thinking he is working twice as hard to ensure certain guys don't leave Syracuse. Hopefully this doesn't drag on and all intentions are made public. One piece of good news per day would be perfect.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseGuy44

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom