JJ Starling Transferring to Syracuse | Page 11 | Syracusefan.com

JJ Starling Transferring to Syracuse

I hope those are few and far between because those aren’t real fans. You root for the team regardless of coach or players. Amy real fan would have been rooting for JB (some weren’t) and will be rooting for Red.
Yup. I don't get it. If anything I think the school should go all out trying to increase their season ticket base with "Code Red". And I know they will do the emails and phone calls but now is the time to get people who might have held off the last few years because of the pandemic and what else. I loved JAB as much as anyone but I'm really juiced for the next stage

Yup. I don't get it. If anything I think the school should go all out trying to increase their season ticket base with "Code Red". And I know they will do the emails and phone calls but now is the time to get people who might have held off the last few years because of the pandemic and what else. I loved JAB as much as anyone but I'm really juiced for the next stage
I won’t get seasons again, but I think I will go to the first game. Red deserves that.

Is HCARA the 1st to secure a McD’s All-American in his 1st week on the job?

Oh, we know who will shoot 3’s.

What we need to find out - who will make them at a respectable clip.

In 2013 we made the FF with Soph MCW and Sr RoboTriche both hitting < 30% from 3.

Southerland & Fair picked up the slack and both shot extremely well from 3, in large part based on the attention 2 big, athletic, driving guards draws from opponents D.

We won’t need Mintz & JJ shooting 40+ from 3 (but we will take it!!),
mid-30’s is more than sufficient to balance out their driving games.

We will need at least 1-2 other guys (Bell, Taylor. Benny, Portal forward TBD) to also hit at a decent clip, to open things up for everyone.
I started a rumor that Jesse will stay if he is allowed to shoot 3s. He shot 100% from 3 this season ffs...and for his career. Free Jessie from 3!

From the little I've heard and the few times I saw him play this season he may have more of a 1's mentality than Judah. But JJ is a better shooter even if he didn't show it this season. Judah is a better driver and has a better mid range game. I think they'll fit together nicely with whatever Red has planned. He is another player that can get his own shot and that is always nice.
Judah showed improved results on the three ball toward the end of the year. Team can be very exciting next year.

Great JJ came home for himself, us and his family. Nice start for Red.

The best guard tandem I ever saw play for us were Sherman Douglas and Stevie Thompson.
A traditional point guard, Sherman Douglas was the ultimate floor leader, leading Syracuse to its best three year run in school history. 'The General' was an excellent ball handler, who was a clutch scorer during the crucial moments of the game.

His centers/power forwards were Coleman and Seikaly two excellent bigs on those teams and that makes a huge difference.

With Douglas alley - oop pass to Thompson on the fast break or Coleman or Seiklay to slam it, we had tremendous guard play and a lot of scoring.

But, things aren't traditional in basketball anymore.

Maybe JJ and Mintz working together in the backcourt can create a dynamic duo, if you will, with Mintz at the point and Starling at the shooting guard - although, IMO, both are drivers with Starlings ND tape being the more experienced in control of the ball and scoring. They both can create and score and that's a good thing.

If JJ and Judah are going get creative and drive it to the basket seems like the tape I saw from dmacnabbrules, Starling does have both an excellent handle and driving skills to the basket, good mid range plus he can hit the 3 from the corner.

At least we will have, if Judah arrives again, two excellent guards. The biggest point here though is without Jesse we do not have a legit Center and we need that position covered. I hope he's back if we are looking to be a good team next year.

In any case we are the much better for JJ coming home than without him. But, both Judah and Jesse need to play next season to make it all work. Otherwise it's the portal - good luck with that.
But the people you mentioned could get after you on the defensive end which led to fast breaks.
They also rebounded the ball and looked to run the floor.

Great JJ came home for himself, us and his family. Nice start for Red.

The best guard tandem I ever saw play for us were Sherman Douglas and Stevie Thompson.
A traditional point guard, Sherman Douglas was the ultimate floor leader, leading Syracuse to its best three year run in school history. 'The General' was an excellent ball handler, who was a clutch scorer during the crucial moments of the game.

His centers/power forwards were Coleman and Seikaly two excellent bigs on those teams and that makes a huge difference.

With Douglas alley - oop pass to Thompson on the fast break or Coleman or Seiklay to slam it, we had tremendous guard play and a lot of scoring.

But, things aren't traditional in basketball anymore.

Maybe JJ and Mintz working together in the backcourt can create a dynamic duo, if you will, with Mintz at the point and Starling at the shooting guard - although, IMO, both are drivers with Starlings ND tape being the more experienced in control of the ball and scoring. They both can create and score and that's a good thing.

If JJ and Judah are going get creative and drive it to the basket seems like the tape I saw from dmacnabbrules, Starling does have both an excellent handle and driving skills to the basket, good mid range plus he can hit the 3 from the corner.

At least we will have, if Judah arrives again, two excellent guards. The biggest point here though is without Jesse we do not have a legit Center and we need that position covered. I hope he's back if we are looking to be a good team next year.

In any case we are the much better for JJ coming home than without him. But, both Judah and Jesse need to play next season to make it all work. Otherwise it's the portal - good luck with that.
Stevie was a great player more a SF instead of a 2G. He did play some PG his senior year but was a better inside player than an outside scorer. Greg Monroe and Matt Roe were Sherman’s partners at SG. Douglas was one of the best point guards/players in SU‘s history.

Stevie was a great player more a SF instead of a 2G. He did play some PG his senior year but was a better inside player than an outside scorer. Greg Monroe and Matt Roe were Sherman’s partners at SG. Douglas was one of the best point guards/players in SU‘s history.
That just shows how far the talent had fallen off the last few years. Judah and Jesse are the only 2 who would have even seen the floor on those teams.
And they would have gotten very few minutes as reserves.

If Judah stays I wanna see a Baylor-type guard situation where you have multiple combinations playing off of each other. The year they won it all, it was like interchangeable parts coming at you in waves. JJ, Judah, Justin, Cope, and maybe even JG3...if he stays, would be versatile and lethal.

JJ shared a pic on Benny's latest post on IG. Gotta think he's a lock for staying. Hope we get a answer on Jesse soon.

Not raining on the parade, just suggesting that we give promising future sophomores here the same long leash (bell). If a five star game came here and had that freshman season, we might be wondering about him more than we are.

Didn't he score 11 points a game? Sure, he only shot about 30% from three, but he has a lot of upside.

I love this quote from JJ..."I will most likely be a point guard and shooting guard, but I am willing to play whatever role is necessary for us to win games."

Sounds like Red had discussions with him about a 3 guard offense. That is the way of college basketball today. Almost everyone is running three guards. The game works from the outside in now. Traditional roles on the court have changed.

Can you imagine how fun a rotation of Judah, JJ, Joe, and Quadir at the three guard spots could be?

I think that rather than talking about a 3 guard offense, Red told him it will be a mostly 3 guard rotation. So he would swing between PG and SG, taking over the point when Judah sits. We could still use a dead-eye 3 point shooter. But I don't think it's going to be Joe. We need more new blood. I suppose Taylor could slot in here, but I would like to see a proven 35%+ shooter.

Im fine with Joe coming back if we go 3 guard lineup. He will need to understand shots will be distributed differently and more M2M and if he cant contain his man he wont be staying in.

I don't see Joe being very effective in man-to-man. He and Judah didn't always have the best chemistry. And although we did need it sometimes, Joe still has that "hero ball" gene.

I guess it depends on whether Joe wants to average 20ppg on a non tourney team, or average 20mpg on potentially something special.

Joe might want to just get a job and start his life, too.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Diamondmakr

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom