JJ Starling Transferring to Syracuse | Page 16 | Syracusefan.com

JJ Starling Transferring to Syracuse

Can JJ shoot? I’ve heard a lot of different things. A Judah and JJ backcourt is great, but they both need to shoot at a higher clip than they did this year.

Can JJ shoot? I’ve heard a lot of different things. A Judah and JJ backcourt is great, but they both need to shoot at a higher clip than they did this year.

I'm 99% sure I recall reading in JJ's recruiting thread that he was a great shooter. I'm willing to chalk up his freshman stats to him simply being a freshman.

I'm 99% sure I recall reading in JJ's recruiting thread that he was a great shooter. I'm willing to chalk up his freshman stats to him simply being a freshman.

JJ's high school scouting report was that he can shoot. Same with Judah. I'm not that worried, but I'd like an ace at the 3. Justin Moore averages around 35%, if that's where we're heading.

there is a lot of interest in Justin Moore. He is a graduating senior. Is there something reported that he wants to play a 5th year which I assume would be covid related? If so, has he indicated that he wants to transfer?

Ture -- they would.

Would like to see them pair together, though. Way more athletic than what we've featured in a LONG time. And if Moore were to ever come here to give us that three guard lineup, it would be next level athleticism / versatility.

I think the shooting would sort itself out, as a function of additional experience, off-season work, and green light / confidence.

I think most of us have assumed Judah would assume primary ball handling responsibilities if he returns and JJ would be our SG, but does anyone know for sure? Both played PG last year and both are combo score-first guards. I'm guessing they split duties. Whoever gets the ball first push it up the court. I don't know if either of them have a preference.

I think most of us have assumed Judah would assume primary ball handling responsibilities if he returns and JJ would be our SG, but does anyone know for sure? Both played PG last year and both are combo score-first guards. I'm guessing they split duties. Whoever gets the ball first push it up the court. I don't know if either of them have a preference.
JJ would be the 2. He didn’t play pg for Notre Dame. He had more turnovers than assists on the season.

well j.j. starling ain't gonna help with out biggest problem. REBOUNDING.

Correct. Not playing zone 95% of the time will.
Hope so. I think most of rebounding is desire. Doesn’t matter what D you’re playing if you don’t get good position and go get the ball.

But when you are a 7 foot center, flying out to the wing with all your momentum going away from the basket, it is hard to rebound.
True, but then where is everyone else when he’s flying out to the corner?

Hope so. I think most of rebounding is desire. Doesn’t matter what D you’re playing if you don’t get good position and go get the ball.

In the zone you are often constantly moving. This puts you at a disadvantage on the boards as once a shot goes up you are often a half second slower to find a body to box out or in tracking a missed shot.

In the zone you are often constantly moving. This puts you at a disadvantage on the boards as once a shot goes up you are often a half second slower to find a body to box out or in tracking a missed shot.
I’m sure you’re right. And yet even playing zone we have had great rebounders and poor rebounders. To what do you attribute the difference?

I’m sure you’re right. And yet even playing zone we have had great rebounders and poor rebounders. To what do you attribute the difference?

For us it comes down to the center position often. The years we haven't sucked have had Etan/Fab/AO/RJ at the 5. The title team too.

In that span the game also had less emphasis/desire on shooting the 3 and thus fewer long rebounds. Position wise in the zone- the center spot was chasing the corner three far less often then than vs the past 9 years. Fast forward to Jesse and we have a double digit rebounder in the post and still a poor rebounding team pct wise. Even step back to Chukwu/Oshae and that team of bricklayers. That team was decent offensive glass but overall not a good rebounding team statistically. 5 years earlier that is probably one of the better rebounding SU teams statistically.

So end of the day you need both quality rebounders and a system that doesn't handicap you.

Zone or man….I think it’s players.

22 year old Wes Johnson or 18-19 year old Chris Bell? Cmon.

Jerami Grant or Benny Williams?

CJ Fair or Jimmy Boeheim?

Cmon. Get some guys in here.

At this point thougn what would be left is JT, Quadir and Brown or one or more of them moving on to get more guys in. Not sure who should get hard talk of that group... that wouldn't be a hard swallow if they blow up somewhere else.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cuse702

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom