JJ Starling Transferring to Syracuse | Page 29 | Syracusefan.com

JJ Starling Transferring to Syracuse

I have difficulty envisioning anyone other than JJ being the leading scorer.

I expect him to step into the Mintz role of being the focal point, only with better shooting [and hopefully more efficiency]. He's also playing with a better lead guard than either he or Mintz played with last year, a legit inside presence [Lampkin], and a couple of complimentary shooters [Bell / Taylor], who hopefully provide a little bit more than what our anemic-shooting squad from last year was able to lean upon.

I expect Bell to up his scoring a few points, as well, but think that JJ will be "the man" from the jump.

That could be the case, as I stated I see those two as our leading scorers. A case can be made either way and we have yet to see the design of the offense or how the new players mix as units.

I'm not shocked that this is the current plan, it may change as the offseason evolves. I hope that when its not working and Carlos comes in that JJ slides over rather than sits. I feel like JJ would benefit greatly by playing with a more traditional PG. I'm not sold on asking JJ to play a new position especially a position where court awareness is so important as I feel that is JJ's biggest weakness.

I’d be curious who starts at 2G then in that case if Carlos doesn’t start at PG out of the gate.

I’d be curious who starts at 2G then in that case if Carlos doesn’t start at PG out of the gate.

I understand what you are getting at. If its a reason to start Westry and he actually winds up being the facilitator it could work. But Jake said JJ surrounded by shooters so I assumed Taylor.

I understand what you are getting at. If its a reason to start Westry and he actually winds up being the facilitator it could work. But Jake said JJ surrounded by shooters so I assumed Taylor.

Yeah I am thinking Taylor too all that being very much in flux though. I don’t see JJ lasting even the off season in that role once Carlos shows what he can do but we shall see. 6-4,6-5,6-8,6-9,6-11 gives us great size for a starting lineup at least. Also though a big yikes on D unless JJ makes huge strides somehow.

I wouldnt be suprised if chance has really locked in on shooting since his mobility is limited. If JC isnt starting, that could be a really good thing

I wouldnt be suprised if chance has really locked in on shooting since his mobility is limited. If JC isnt starting, that could be a really good thing

Absolutely, its a possibility. Its an interesting group of players with possibly a very high ceiling!

Development/improvement is always the dark horse of any off season. We only have past returns or absences to work with and then tidbits of what’s happening for each player during the off season.

Outside of Jesse we haven’t exactly been profiting on that unknown in recent years but seems we are due to strike some lucky numbers for a change especially when you factor what Red accomplished with the hand he was dealt with this past years group.

JJ is going to be given first shot to drive the Orange bus surrounded by shooters.

If he struggles, we’ll turn to Carlos.
So the staff is expecting a healthy Westry?

Given health, I'd rather see Chance at a hybrid-PG facilitator role (see: Ty Rodgers, Illinois) and let JJ focus on what he does best, attacking and scoring. OR a pure PG in Carlos.

Finally having options at PG, I do not envision the JJ PG experiment lasts long.

I find it very hard to believe that the team is better with JJ and Taylor/ Choppa vs Carlos and JC or JJ and Chance.
I trust Jake knows the plan. However, there is Lots of time for things to change once the players are on the court together in the summer and in preseason practice. There are so many variables that even the coaches (who are far better informed than us) can't account for them all.

Maybe Carlos and Starling have such amazing chemistry from the get go, for instance, that the coaches decide they have to go with that duo as starters.

So many things can change between now and the start of the season.

He can't go left or dribble with his left hand.
Omfg, not true at all. But giving the keys to JJ to play PG is a huge mistake, imo. Unless Red and the coaches promised him they’d give him a shot to run PG to get him to return? I don’t see that lasting long. Carlos as the starting PG makes much more sense. He’ll be able to set up JJ and Bell and put them in a great position to score.

That could be the case, as I stated I see those two as our leading scorers. A case can be made either way and we have yet to see the design of the offense or how the new players mix as units.
My guess is they will rotate and also play together. Probably not that binary

Here come the overreactions lol, that is not happening
here come the underreactions lol, I’m taking what our trusted sources are saying if it doesn’t happened then it doesnt happen I don’t really care I want the best players playing that’s it.

Am I missing something? He went left twice because nobody was within 3 feet of him. I watched that entire video for nothing.
The statement was that he can’t go left. Disproved in the first highlight video I found.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseVegas

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom