JJ Starling Transferring to Syracuse | Page 32 | Syracusefan.com

JJ Starling Transferring to Syracuse

It’s the b2b2b disappointments paired with weak regular seasons under JB in the last 10 yrs that is the killer. I think we are a tournament team and part of that is because of Red. He won 20 games with that mess last year.

The goodwill to be a faith without evidence fan base is withered. We just need to see it again. I think we will but it’s not here till we see it.

Yeah - I know this is probably insane, but my hope is that Chance comes back like a force as a second ball handler/penetrator. When we were first recruiting him, I was stoked. I know banking on a guy that's been hurt 2x and hasn't really done anything at this level is probably dumb... but, ya know, I guess that's being a fan.

And my second hope is just that Bell can be a flamethrower for like 4-6 minute stretches here and there. I don't expect him to be taking guys off the dribble, but I just want him to be NBA Jam-level on fire for short bursts.

Who knows, I'm still bearish on this team from a rational standpoint (I really do not like all that was sunk into Lampkin; I think there is a chance he is a less talented version of what we went through with Judah, but at the center position), but you always hope. By the time the regular season comes around, I'll be saying we can get a protected seed because I'm an idiot.

My concerns are more on defense. I know many posters love metrics, well according to the metrics we brought in an elite defensive coach. Let’s hope so!!

Give me good rebounding figures and teams not shooting it well against us and to hell with worrying about blocks and steals. Just want to see some team defense and guys helping each other on that end.

Yeah - I know this is probably insane, but my hope is that Chance comes back like a force as a second ball handler/penetrator. When we were first recruiting him, I was stoked. I know banking on a guy that's been hurt 2x and hasn't really done anything at this level is probably dumb... but, ya know, I guess that's being a fan.

And my second hope is just that Bell can be a flamethrower for like 4-6 minute stretches here and there. I don't expect him to be taking guys off the dribble, but I just want him to be NBA Jam-level on fire for short bursts.

Who knows, I'm still bearish on this team from a rational standpoint (I really do not like all that was sunk into Lampkin; I think there is a chance he is a less talented version of what we went through with Judah, but at the center position), but you always hope. By the time the regular season comes around, I'll be saying we can get a protected seed because I'm an idiot.

I think this roster screams of the staffs faith in their ability to put all the right pieces together and faith that they can make a lot of hay with the kids they want and a big part of that being Chance has the ability to have a huge impact if he is healthy and still the player drawing NBA prospect praise on arrival at Auburn.

Who knows - Ive sold myself on this being a year we feel more like SU in hoops. Hopefully that wasn’t dumb on my part lol

Agreed- looks like he is ready to make the jump to being a leader to me. I just think no Judah, Quadir
or Benny around will be a massive help on its own.
I love anyone that puts on the orange and I wish them all well. But, this team needed a reboot for chemistry sake. I think Red accomplished that and JJ is ready to be the leader. He works his ass off.

Anyone think the Judah <> JJ thing could have been a net-negative guard situation (like Trae Young <> Dejounte Murray)?
Seems like it could have been.

Judah should be a 2G but he cant shoot.from deep.
Agree.
But I’m saying could there have been a net-negative with both on the team/floor?
We obviously worked with what we had - which was a lack of a true center and unreliable wing play - but two guards neither of which appeared to be a pass-first floor general was an issue.
And honestly; when was the last good PG we’ve had?

Agree.
But I’m saying could there have been a net-negative with both on the team/floor?
We obviously worked with what we had - which was a lack of a true center and unreliable wing play - but two guards neither of which appeared to be a pass-first floor general was an issue.
And honestly; when was the last good PG we’ve had?

John Gillon did a nice job for us at PG.

Silent G’s Sr yr he was a good PG.

Tyler Ennis is the last guy we recruited as a PG who came in and played it well.

It's JJ's team and his time to be the leader. He'll be beloved if he gets it done as the local kid. He'll be great at pushing pace. It suits his game and it's what Red wants. I think it'll be exciting to see him allowed to do his thing. He's really quick up the court, but we rarely got to see him do his thing.

It's JJ's team and his time to be the leader. He'll be beloved if he gets it done as the local kid. He'll be great at pushing pace. It suits his game and it's what Red wants. I think it'll be exciting to see him allowed to do his thing. He's really quick up the court, but we rarely got to see him do his thing.
Let's hope Starling's good at finding the trailer on the break, because Lampkin isn't "quick up the court" by most people's standards. :)

Judah should be a 2G but he cant shoot.from deep.
crazy thing is judah was elite from deep in the summer. in pickup he would shoot 3 or 4 threes back to back fo back and it looked really good. i just think the transition to the game made it really uncomfortable for him so he relied on what he is used to.

Read through the list of transfers into ACC. Lot of teams got bigger and older. It’ll be interesting to watch Red coach this group up against peers. Hope we have enough to get ahead of some of these other teams.

This forums impressively well informed yet still chooses to be ignorant of how much Copeland and Judah, not buying into Red’s system, impacted the players surrounding them. These guys had flashy moments but hurt the team constantly inbetween highlights.

There will be great “improvement” between JJ and Chris. We should give a hand to those that stayed anyways.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
McCuse

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom