JJ Starling Transferring to Syracuse | Page 33 | Syracusefan.com

JJ Starling Transferring to Syracuse

This forums impressively well informed yet still chooses to be ignorant of how much Copeland and Judah, not buying into Red’s system, impacted the players surrounding them. These guys had flashy moments but hurt the team constantly inbetween highlights.

There will be great “improvement” between JJ and Chris. We should give a hand to those that stayed anyways.

Eddie is gonna be good too. Just watching the tape and already he looks in much better shape- if he truly can make perimeter shots while playing as a true big - that plays perfectly balancing with Donnie and spacing the floor well. It’s an intriguing team even with the question marks.

Eddie is gonna be good too. Just watching the tape and already he looks in much better shape- if he truly can make perimeter shots while playing as a true big - that plays perfectly balancing with Donnie and spacing the floor well. It’s an intriguing team even with the question marks.
I hope Lampkin takes fewer than 10 threes all year.

He doesnt need to make 3s but if he can make the 10 footers and open up the lane it will be a plus

This.

Him having a foul line J in the repertoire makes him a much harder guard.

He’s got pretty good footwork, and is a willing and able passer.
Being able to hit that open J will make doing those other things that much easier for him.

I hope Lampkin takes fewer than 10 threes all year.

Sanogo for UConn took 52 in his last year in college. If Eddie is capable from distance between 35-45 for the season works just fine if he can make the open uncontested ones at say a 35 pct clip. In the modern game it’s a weapon to have that as a true big whether it is annoying to watch or not. Plus it pulls out the other big without them being able to just put a faster guy on him for fear of him dominating down low. I would imagine Red sees Eddie in that Sanogo like role given how successful Hurley was with that offense.

I know some don’t like it but with Donnie being a threat attacking the rim from the 4 spot I like that you could have your 5 man doing a bit of everything and not just clogging the lane. I will agree though that having the 10 footer is a big weapon too for big Ed.

He doesnt need to make 3s but if he can make the 10 footers and open up the lane it will be a plus
I agree with this point.

When I think of "perimeter" shots, I think of threes and low quality 18 footers... I definitely didn't want Elvir shooting it from there, and I don't want Lampkin either.

On the other hand, Lampkin can take and make 10-12 footers from just outside the paint, then his other moves become just a bit more dangerous.

I agree with this point.

When I think of "perimeter" shots, I think of threes and low quality 18 footers... I definitely didn't want Elvir shooting it from there, and I don't want Lampkin either.

On the other hand, Lampkin can take and make 10-12 footers from just outside the paint, then his other moves become just a bit more dangerous.

At this point if it makes us better all around and he’s capable then I’m all for it whichever it is mid range or trying a 3 or 2 per game. If he’s a brick layer then it should end before it starts but at least from video he has a nice touch on his shot. He upped his FT pct to 66 pct last year so his shooting form has continued to improve.

Either way if it’s Bell using the bounce or Eddie shooting a couple deep balls - if it makes us better because they can do it when it really counts because they have improved then who cares whether we thought it was good or not.

Why? What if he is 8/10? I don’t care who takes them, if they can make them at a good clip!
Especially if they play off of him and give him open threes. If he makes a few of those, he’ll draw the opposing big man away from the basket opening it up for the slashers.

I think JJ can play the pg position when and if needed.​

I also feel like he is a potential NBA player, if he puts in the work and can avoid serious injury.

Didn't Terrance Roberts drain some crazy last second 3 to win a game like 15 years ago? For some reason that is what I think of when I think of Lampkin shooting a 3 lol. Probably being just as surprised if it goes in.

This forums impressively well informed yet still chooses to be ignorant of how much Copeland and Judah, not buying into Red’s system, impacted the players surrounding them. These guys had flashy moments but hurt the team constantly inbetween highlights.

There will be great “improvement” between JJ and Chris. We should give a hand to those that stayed anyways.
If Bell and JJ transfered but Cope and Judah stayed pretty sure you’d be saying the exact same thing about how their poor D brought down Mintz and Quadir.

Why? What if he is 8/10? I don’t care who takes them, if they can make them at a good clip!

He’s never taken a three in his college career.

His TS% last year was 59.9%. His FT% last year was 66.1%. His FG% last year was 57.9%, all on twos. All of these aren’t high level for a big, at all.

If he takes a three, it’s the same as a live ball turnover.

And, this is with playing with three NBA draft picks last year.

So back to the point of this thread, if JJ has the keys, he’s got a lot of pressure to make everyone better, because we aren’t shutting anyone down on D.

His TS% last year was 59.9%. His FT% last year was 66.1%. His FG% last year was 57.9%, all on twos. All of these aren’t high level for a big, at all.

So back to the point of this thread, if JJ has the keys, he’s got a lot of pressure to make everyone better, because we aren’t shutting anyone down on D.
If he's not dunking I'd rather he just pass it.

This forum loves turning players into these mystical skilled freaks that could fight for NBA rookie of the year.

We will see. I know you are a big non believer in Eddie. Let’s see what happens and hope for the best.

The theme this year will be about experience and guys improving their games from their previous year be it college or HS or injury. In that im an optimistic wait and see until otherwise proven to be a fool.

If he's not dunking I'd rather he just pass it.

This forum loves turning players into these mystical skilled freaks that could fight for NBA rookie of the year.
I’d rather he take and make a ton of 3 pointers, at a 40%clip

This is the post I should have made instead of simply saying I hope Lampkin shoots less than 10 threes all year.

Especially the bolded point.

I would say one thing additionally. JB won so many games for 40 years because he avoided players doing things they weren't capable of doing. People hoping that Lampkin transfers to Syracuse and then starts doing things that he isn't good at amazes me.

I sincerely hope Lampkin isn't going to try to impress everybody with his shooting. We'd be in for a very long year.

This is the post I should have made instead of simply saying I hope Lampkin shoots less than 10 threes all year.

I would say one thing additionally. JB won so many games for 40 years because he avoided players doing things they weren't capable of doing. People hoping that Lampkin transfers to Syracuse and suddenly doing things that he isn't good at amazes me.

I sincerely hope Lampkin isn't going to try and impress everybody with his shooting. We'd be in for a very long year.

Hoping he does things he isn’t good at? Come on. That’s not the point I was making at all.

It was if he improves and adds that as a true applicable skill then that’s great and we can use it. If not then he is hopefully an improved version of what he was already good at. It’s that simple as I see it .

I’d rather he take and make a ton of 3 pointers, at a 40%clip
Genie GIF by CinemarkColombia

I would say one thing additionally. JB won so many games for 40 years because he avoided players doing things they weren't capable of doing. People hoping that Lampkin transfers to Syracuse and then starts doing things that he isn't good at amazes me.

I sincerely hope Lampkin isn't going to try to impress everybody with his shooting. We'd be in for a very long year.
I heard for 6 years about Tyler Roberson's mid range ability was elite. Think I saw him make 6 or so?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
McCuse

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom