JJ Starling | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

JJ Starling

That may be the case but it doesn't give you an excuse to drive into horrible situations which result in spotting the other team 8-10 points. That is what stuck out the most.
That's one of the results, I'm thinking more about reasons for his overall play right now...

They are bad decisions that hurt us and will impact us if he doesn't find a fix. He'll be okay.

That may be the case but it doesn't give you an excuse to drive into horrible situations which result in spotting the other team 8-10 points. That is what stuck out the most.
“back in high school “ doesn’t mean squat unfortunately. If he’s hurt, then he shouldn’t start. Period

Not good. Stiff left arm?

B54345C9-7802-4D03-820B-06AE5350FD72.jpeg

Yup, I have zero problem with his work ethic, something's not right mechanically. Is there a crazy advanced shot clinic for college basketball like DriveLine for baseball?
He likely needs additional work on his shoulders, or the treatment Carey got on his knees.

Too young for doc Hof at this point though.

Chance Westry will be running the PG spot next season if he’s healthy. He’s a really gifted passer and distributor. Hopefully JJ can fix his shot and be the starting shooting guard.
JJ cant be a 2 guard, we need a knock down scorer.

IMO we should start Judah/Taylor/Bell/Maliq/Naheem. That gives us more interior defense which is often a huge problem for us with Taylor getting pushed around by bigger forwards in the post.

Starling can be the first player off the bench for either Judah, Taylor or Bell to sub out. JJ is still a very good player so far this year, 3rd leading scorer, 2nd rebounds, 2nd assists.

But yeah, you simply can't have a starting shooting guard who is shooting 5.6% from deep. I wish that was a typo.
Agree maybe start Benny for Taylor if he gets it together. Would give us better size

I'm glad Red believes in him by giving him so many minutes. That said, why?? His defense? Maybe less minutes would be better for him. For the team's sake, I'd rather see more of cuffe out there. He seems like a good all around player for us who needs more minutes. I wouldn't mind seeing more Copeland too.

Everything about his shot looks unnatural. I genuinely cannot imagine the mental toll it is taking on him. From a potential lottery pick to being worried about shooting open threes. I would be a frustrated mess.

I get giving Starling some grief after that performance yesterday, but overall I would not describe his game as selfish, despite maybe some selfish moments yesterday. He has done a good job of looking to pass this season, overall better than Judah. Averaging a solid amount of assists on the season. He had an extremely nice feed to McCloud who somehow managed to miss a dunk. Also for a guy his size he is very active on the boards. 2nd most per game on the team behind Taylor. Not throwing in the towel with him just yet but wish we had Judah alongside someone else like Taylor or Cuffe more often. The shot is the problem. I don't think we need to worry about selfish play.

The shot, etc is an issue...but the overall play and general affect on the team is bigger

-9.2 BPM yesterday for someone playing 31 mins is going to hurt us in long run.

-1.5 for the season. (That's basically what Chris Bell was last year for reference)

That's not going to work. If he cant make a shot, is what it is. Play better D, stop turning the ball over, create shots for the shooters.

My biggest complaint with JJ is when he drives he never drops it off. McCloud is usually wide open and takes a tough shot.
very few at the college level do. The play is there to be had time and time again but players wanna score. They get in the lane that far and they’re looking for 2 and 1.

very few at the college level do. The play is there to be had time and time again but players wanna score. They get in the lane that far and they’re looking for 2 and 1.
Unfortunately they’re trained to initiate the contact in the hopes of getting fouled. It’s the AAU mantra. It’s also bad basketball.

Unfortunately they’re trained to initiate the contact in the hopes of getting fouled. It’s the AAU mantra. It’s also bad basketball.
In tight passing seems to be a lost art . Defenders are so ballcentric they lose sight of their man and easy layups / short oops are there for the taking .

International players seem to be better at it., jokic and Sengun are masters… but they weren’t raised on the AAU system

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Diamondmakr

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom