JJ Starling | Page 5 | Syracusefan.com

JJ Starling

gotta be patient with starling...

OIP.BlL4FHTpwHOw3OPkNOS0lwHaD_.jpeg

meantime we'll let judah multiple mintz handle things.

Last edited:
Is it me or is his shot different from those HS clips to how he was shooting at ND, even very early in the season?

I am NOT an expert by any means. But in the clips of him at ND vs. Radford (first game of their season) he appears to be pushing the ball more than those HS clips where it looks like more of a pure release.

Someone is free to tell me I'm wrong and an idiot. Did he get hurt before he started playing for ND?
Watch his form at La Lum 16 seconds in…like Bville. Something happened at ND

JJ La Lum

I don’t even need him to make 3s. Not his game even though it kinda was in HS. He needs to make 10-15 footers. If he can’t consistently do that, it will be a long year for him.

I know he’s going to put the work in but it was also nice to see Red not put him down in the press conference like JB would have. I think that’s good for JJ to know his coach is supporting him

Actually hurt his shoulder against us! 4 min in…hard to see when he did it but he dove on the floor right before. What makes no sense is that’s his left not his right…Jj Cuse game

Yeah and it’s his left…
Probably played through the injury and changed his mechanics. The warning signs were there in last years stats. He was shooting 35% from deep until February when the bottom fell out and he finished the season 4-24. I hope he turns it around mainly for his sake and also the teams, because we need another consistent scorer.

Hopefully Starling can play through what ails him... Looks like Red is gonna let him do that.

Also, good to remember that positives don't always show up on the court...

Shout out to Mama Starling for some (evidently) very good home cooking !

“I’m gonna give props to JJ’s mom,” Mintz began. “She cooked for us. His family cooked for us when we came back from Hawaii and I think that might’ve got me feeling good.”

Honestly depending on how the season goes he might want to shut it down early, get surgery or whatever rehab he can, and prepare for next year. It would be in the best interest for his career because he’s not making the NBA with his broken, post-injury shot.

What exactly was his injury? If it was a major rotator cuff tear it will not heal by itself. On the other hand there is risk in the surgery. Holes are drilled into the bone and the torn tendons are sewn back in place. Best not to delay the surgery. Not everyone recovers fully and full strength will not return. If the tendon is torn off it will not heal.
I had the surgery and I have full motion but the doctor said never lift weights again. I dropped down to 25lb dumbbell presses without problem but no more serious weight lifting.
If JJ's problem was just form, it would have been fixed by now.
Hmm… I actually disagree with several things in here, including the highlighted. I’m no doctor. I’m no expert. But that’s a pretty damn black and white statement.

Yeah, but with that pedigree I think he has a great chance of fixing whatever is not going right.
I kind of see it differently . As in he’s such a good athlete if he could fix it, he’d have done so by now

Hopefully Starling can play through what ails him... Looks like Red is gonna let him do that.

Also, good to remember that positives don't always show up on the court...

Shout out to Mama Starling for some (evidently) very good home cooking !

“I’m gonna give props to JJ’s mom,” Mintz began. “She cooked for us. His family cooked for us when we came back from Hawaii and I think that might’ve got me feeling good.”

I’m not saying Red should bench JJ, or even not start him anymore.

But - force-feeding him 30+ minutes, when he’s clearly NOT on, is a recipe for disaster.

Especially if it’s coming at the expense of minutes for Q or Cuffe.

Maybe JJ would be more effective if he was “only” playing 20-25 mins/game?

I’d sure like to see Red try that, at least.

I think the short-term solution is put JJ on the ball more and his job is to get shots for others, and Judah play off the ball a good portion of the game and focus on scoring. It seems like Red is entertaining that. Long term solution is he needs to get his shot back, but that might not be this year.

he still one of the best players on the team...his 65% of what he used to be is still good enough to play...but its going to get tougher later in the season if he cant get back on track

i dont have access to this article but I think it is the one that explains things...

imo we arent seeing the "real" JJ at all thus far in Orange...

from the article:

Starling is recovering his shooting confidence, he said. The injury to his shooting shoulder caused him to change his shot mechanics, which led to more misses than makes... “My thing with him is I don’t ever want you to hesitate,” McNamara said. “But at the same time, we have to mechanically make a few adjustments to counterbalance what you did to protect your shoulder.”

from the article:

Starling is recovering his shooting confidence, he said. The injury to his shooting shoulder caused him to change his shot mechanics, which led to more misses than makes... “My thing with him is I don’t ever want you to hesitate,” McNamara said. “But at the same time, we have to mechanically make a few adjustments to counterbalance what you did to protect your shoulder.”
Strongly disagree with Gmac here. Great that you want him to keep up his confidence, but do that in practice. Right now every time he shoots a 3 its a fast break for the other team and this team isn't good enough to throw away possessions. The name of the game is WIN, that comes first over all else.

Strongly disagree with Gmac here. Great that you want him to keep up his confidence, but do that in practice. Right now every time he shoots a 3 its a fast break for the other team and this team isn't good enough to throw away possessions. The name of the game is WIN, that comes first over all else.
I have to imagine Gmac has a different stance on this now. The article was from before the season started.

yeah I mean this current version of Starling cant shoot and that is the real crux of the matter...he can do PG things but there's only 1 PG on the floor at any given time. and that's gonna be Judah on this team.

I dont think this version of JJ is the "real" JJ...at least not the one that was a 5star in HS. not the same player. the "real" JJ is a great shooter.

there are not really any 2 guards around that can't shoot. think about it.

he still offers a lot...i.e. rebounding, defense etc...but theres a low ceiling on a PG that cant shoot, let alone a SG that can't.

JJ is still one of the best athletes on the team and needs to play...but it creates some problems for the team i.e. reaching its potential if he cant get back to what he showed he can be.
He may be one of the best athletes but he is also one of the worse basketball players. Why does he need to play? As JB said, practice is for getting better. He did not use game time for the sake of practice. Does JJ's practice performance merit so much game time?

Probably played through the injury and changed his mechanics. The warning signs were there in last years stats. He was shooting 35% from deep until February when the bottom fell out and he finished the season 4-24. I hope he turns it around mainly for his sake and also the teams, because we need another consistent scorer.
Maybe that is the problem? If he tore tendons, they will atrophy. Playing through that type of injury is disastrous. Operation should take place as soon as swelling goes down. Was his shoulder x-rayed?
Large ski resorts will perform the surgery on site.

Maybe that is the problem? If he tore tendons, they will atrophy. Playing through that type of injury is disastrous. Operation should take place as soon as swelling goes down. Was his shoulder x-rayed?
Large ski resorts will perform the surgery on site.
I think its unlikely he's still injured. It’s more likely he changed his mechanics when he was injured and they have not returned to normal post injury.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseGuy44

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom