JJ Starling | Page 9 | Syracusefan.com

JJ Starling

This is what frustrates me. Some of our fans are so quick to write off players these days as “awful” (said about Copeland in the game thread) and worse. Most of our players are sophomores. They’re not finished products in any way. They’re all in new, more prominent roles this season, and there’s going to be growing pains. Some of these guys are going to be up and down, and that’s ok. I think back to Gbinije’s struggles at the beginning of his junior year when he was suddenly thrust into a leading role after being a backup for his sophomore year. He was expected to have a much more prominent role, and he struggled at the beginning of that season but got much better and was really good by the end of his junior year. I remember JB actually calling him out publicly in early December and saying we expected more out of him at that point, and Gbinije responded. We have to have some patience here.

Last edited:
This is what frustrates me. Some of our fans are so quick to write off players these days as “awful” (said about Copeland in the game thread) and worse. Most of our players are sophomores. They’re not finished products in any way. They’re all in new, more prominent roles this season, and there’s going to be growing pains. Some of these guys are going to be up and down, and that’s ok. I think back to Gbinije’s struggles at the beginning of his junior year when he was suddenly thrust into a leading role after being a backup for his sophomore year. He was expected to have a much more prominent role, and he struggled at the beginning of that season but got much better and was really good by the end of his junior year. I remember JB actually calling him out publicly in early December and saying we expect more out of him this season, and Gbinije responded. We have to have some patience here.
The season is almost 1/3 in, we need Starling to do this on a constant basis, he was a starter last year in the ACC and AA in HS.

The season is an almost 1/3 in we need Starling to do this on a constant basis, he was a starter last year in the ACC and AA in HS.
So do you disagree with what I’m saying about fans needing to have some patience? Yes we need him to play like this going forward on a consistent basis but there may still be some ups and downs. Let’s not be so quick to write guys off. That’s all I’m saying. Yes he played in the ACC last season (on a terrible team btw), but now he’s in a new program with a new coach and all new players. There’s a learning curve.

It's gonna be up and down most likely the rest of the way for JJ, but hopefully the trend line continues up.

I just don't understand fans who have no patience a player coming off meniscus surgery and recovering from shoulder injuries.

Yes the shot isn't falling yes it's a bit awkward at times, but we have to give him leash and reps to get his confidence and muscle memory back.

So do you disagree with what I’m saying about fans needing to have some patience? Yes we need him to play like this going forward on a consistent basis but there may still be some ups and downs. Let’s not be so quick to write guys off. That’s all I’m saying. Yes he played in the ACC last season (on a terrible team btw), but now he’s in a new program with a new coach and all new players. There’s a learning curve.
Don’t disagree but he played M2M last year and was on all frosh team. My expectation would be to make simple plays, passes, use his athletic ability, take good shots, play good D, etc…If he was a Frosh yes more patience. I guess my point is, if we are going to play him 30 plus minutes a game we need him to produce like this, or cut his minutes and shots until he comes around. We have enough guys this year to play minutes.

Don’t disagree but he played M2M last year and was on all frosh team. My expectation would be to make simple plays, passes, use his athletic ability, take good shots, play good D, etc…If he was a Frosh yes more patience. I guess my point is, if we are going to play him 30 plus minutes a game we need him to produce like this, or cut his minutes and shots until he comes around. We have enough guys this year to play minutes.
He certainly forces too much at times and loses focus on defense, which I think will improve. Again, it’s a new team, new players and a new coach. Most transfers take some time to acclimate. That’s just the reality. And he’s still only a sophomore. Maybe the past couple of games are evidence that Red’s patience might pay off. You don’t want your players to lose confidence in themselves. Hopefully he builds off this performance and has a great game against Oregon.

Last edited:
This is what frustrates me. Some of our fans are so quick to write off players these days as “awful” (said about Copeland in the game thread) and worse. Most of our players are sophomores. They’re not finished products in any way. They’re all in new, more prominent roles this season, and there’s going to be growing pains. Some of these guys are going to be up and down, and that’s ok. I think back to Gbinije’s struggles at the beginning of his junior year when he was suddenly thrust into a leading role after being a backup for his sophomore year. He was expected to have a much more prominent role, and he struggled at the beginning of that season but got much better and was really good by the end of his junior year. I remember JB actually calling him out publicly in early December and saying we expected more out of him at that point, and Gbinije responded. We have to have some patience here.
Exactly.
It's almost like' "Oh, he doesn't suck anymore. Whoda thunk it"?!
It's the MO for every fanbase, I guess- where players who usually end up being very good, are written off or dismissed prematurely by an impatient, immature, and unrealistic fanbase. It's embarrassing, but it's par for the course.

Guilty. I’ve been very impatient with Copeland. And JJ? I never wrote about him but I had just put him a closed box in my brain. I look forward to seeing them both develop more.

“I just felt loose,” he said. “There was no thinking in the game. Previous games I was probably thinking too much. The game comes easy when you don’t think and just go out there and do what you’re capable of doing.

Life lesson: never think! :rolleyes:

Red is different in this respect. Red shows patience and tries to build his players up. He’s not afraid to sit them, but he goes right back to them. JB seemed to be a lot less patient. At least publicly. He might have been different in practice.

Exactly.
It's almost like' "Oh, he doesn't suck anymore. Whoda thunk it"?!
It's the MO for every fanbase, I guess- where players who usually end up being very good, are written off or dismissed prematurely by an impatient, immature, and unrealistic fanbase. It's embarrassing, but it's par for the course.
He’s had one good game so far, I wouldn’t exactly say the disappointment in JJ is unwarranted so far. Pair that with continued mistakes from Quadir (yes, he played a great second half but are we really going to ignore the other 7 games), Benny being awful for 2 and 1/3rd years, and McLoed being a huge let down, nothing I’ve seen has been unfair criticism. This is big time college basketball, if you want a patient fan base go play in the MAC.

He’s had one good game so far, I wouldn’t exactly say the disappointment in JJ is unwarranted so far. Pair that with continued mistakes from Quadir (yes, he played a great second half but are we really going to ignore the other 7 games), Benny being awful for 2 and 1/3rd years, and McLoed being a huge let down, nothing I’ve seen has been unfair criticism. This is big time college basketball, if you want a patient fan base go play in the MAC.
Puhleeze.
3 games in and the negative ninny's in the monkey seats were ready to write him off.
We have yet to play 10 games this season and immature fans are throwing temper tantrums. That's not just "criticism", that's unrealistic expectations by spoiled brats.
It's one thing to say he hasn't played well, or been inconsistent- that's fair game. But some here have gone, and tend to go, too far & too soon.
And those are the same Einstein's calling for Red's head, because the product on the floor wasn't Tarkanian's UNLV right out the gate. It's not "big time" basketball to have fans who act out like a bunch of numbskulls, because they are asked to be patient. That's just called common sense. JMHO

Go watch some tape of him in HS and then look at his shot today. This is the first game he shot like he used to. small differences but if you watch his early games this year and then watch him in this game you will see what I'm referring to. I have a feeling he has his stroke back for good.

It also seems, from some posts, that they never played the sport. There is no understanding that guys have bad games, have mini-slumps, will make dumb plays, or go through confidence issues.

Last edited:
Puhleeze.
3 games in and the negative ninny's in the monkey seats were ready to write him off.
We have yet to play 10 games this season and immature fans are throwing temper tantrums. That's not just "criticism", that's unrealistic expectations by spoiled brats.
It's one thing to say he hasn't played well, or been inconsistent- that's fair game. But some here have gone, and tend to go, too far & too soon.
And those are the same Einstein's calling for Red's head, because the product on the floor wasn't Tarkanian's UNLV right out the gate. It's not "big time" basketball to have fans who act out like a bunch of numbskulls, because they are asked to be patient. That's just called common sense. JMHO
There’s no temper tantrums, they are seeing what’s in front of them. If JJ can’t be effective against Colgate or New Hampshire, why would he be effective against Clemson or Duke? Same for the other players. And as for red, if you think he’s done a good job so far then you’re delusional. He’s beaten bad teams, woohoo, several of which required some significantly bad shooting despite wide open looks for the opposition. No one expects him to be a hall of famer from day one, but he got a big time job so he has big time expectations. Will he get better! For sure, but Syracuse shouldn’t need to play the waiting game.

There’s no temper tantrums, they are seeing what’s in front of them. If JJ can’t be effective against Colgate or New Hampshire, why would he be effective against Clemson or Duke? Same for the other players. And as for red, if you think he’s done a good job so far then you’re delusional. He’s beaten bad teams, woohoo, several of which required some significantly bad shooting despite wide open looks for the opposition. No one expects him to be a hall of famer from day one, but he got a big time job so he has big time expectations. Will he get better! For sure, but Syracuse shouldn’t need to play the waiting game.
Yes, because JJ and Red will be the same in March, as they are in November. Thanks for the prognostication, Nostradamus.
Any more brilliant insight as to what we can expect moving forward? Indeed, why not just give us our season record right now, so we can all stop wasting our precious time watching.
Thanks for making my point for me re; immature, impatient, & unrealistic expectations. JMHO

Last edited:
Clearly you didn’t play sports at a high level

Couldn’t agree more. Sports fandom has become so toxic. I’m all for letting fans voice their opinions but I wish there was more thoughtful and intelligent level of discussion

Puhleeze.
Some of us are used to winning big time with players that are good right out of the gate. That is what the contenders do Despite your assumption, I support Red.

nathan fillion i don't know what to tell you.gif

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RDembowski

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom