JJ Starling | Page 7 | Syracusefan.com

JJ Starling

Too good of a player to keep playing this bad but the 30 mins/night guarantee needs to go. I would start Cuffe. We can get more at this position out of the guys on the roster.

It sucks Copeland's shot has gotten worse because like Taylor hes pretty good rebounding and on the defensive end but he's layup only status right now.

Red has to push some buttons and get more out of Starling/Cuffe/Cope.

Too good of a player to keep playing this bad but the 30 mins/night guarantee needs to go. I would start Cuffe. We can get more at this position out of the guys on the roster.

It sucks Copeland's shot has gotten worse because like Taylor hes pretty good rebounding and on the defensive end but he's layup only status right now.

Red has to push some buttons and get more out of Starling/Cuffe/Cope.
I don’t understand why JJ is averaging a team high 34.3 minutes a game, that’s more than any year Joe had here except his senior year when he averaged 34.7. Don’t get what Red us doing with this.

JJ’s shooting form is still blowing my mind. I understand what’s going on now better than I did, but for a sprain to cause a long lasting drastic change from a good shooting form to what he’s doing now is absolutely wild. I don’t understand how the form’s not fixed. Sprains don’t usually result in the ‘relearn how to do shoulder things’ phenomenon.

I can’t move past this. Lock him in a gym with a video of his old shooting form. Tell him he can come out either when he shoots like the video, his arm falls off, or he dies of exhaustion.

Don’t get what Red us doing with this
The only thing that makes sense is that there's not another ball handler on the team. Quadir and Cuffe lead the team in TOs per 40 and per 100 by almost 25%. Also, Cuffe doesn't look to pass much at all, would it change if he had a different role? IDK. Maybe Red thinks JJ is going to be a serviceable 3-pt shooter. I don't see it right now, but I'm not the coach.

Does JJ look good / shoot well in practice? Wondering if it's mental for games, or if he's just physically out of it.

Part of this is that as of now, SU has played one more game than most other teams, but JJ leads the ACC in minutes played (309, slightly ahead of RJ Davis at 306), but has the lowest BPM (-1.6) of any other top minutes guy until you get to 42nd place Frosh Braeden Shrewsberry (215 minutes and a -2.5 BPM) from ND. PER is a little more kind, but not great.

Part of this is that as of now, SU has played one more game than most other teams, but JJ leads the ACC in minutes played (309, slightly ahead of RJ Davis at 306), but has the lowest BPM (-1.6) of any other top minutes guy until you get to 42nd place Frosh Braeden Shrewsberry (215 minutes and a -2.5 BPM) from ND. PER is a little more kind, but not great.
Yep…good breakdown…He simply can’t play these amt of mins if he’s playing like this. I’m not giving up on him at all, but when you breakdown the game last night, he basically started every mini Cornell streak single handedly

JT hasn’t been great, but he’s significantly better defensively and on the glass. They have roughly the same efg%.
Taylor put up 15-8-6 yesterday. His shooting hasn’t been where we’d expect (although 3/8 yesterday is trending in the right direction) but he seems to catch a lot of unnecessary flack on here. Doing a little bit of everything and seems to be improved from last year. It’s too bad we can’t have him in more of a 2/3 role rather than a 3/4.

Taylor put up 15-8-6 yesterday. His shooting hasn’t been where we’d expect (although 3/8 yesterday is trending in the right direction) but he seems to catch a lot of unnecessary flack on here. Doing a little bit of everything and seems to be improved from last year. It’s too bad we can’t have him in more of a 2/3 role rather than a 3/4.

My impression is that Tayler produces much more than he is costing is. He is getting better and I think the shooting/scoring will come around.

That said Starling always gives me the impression that he has cost us more than he produced. Late in the game he was preparing to drive, looked at a teammate on the perimeter, put his head down, ran into traffic, then predictably passed back to where his teammate was. It was 2 points the other way.

Last edited:
At this point, I wonder if Red has considered not starting JJ and reducing his min? He doesn't provide much offense and I don't think he is a great rebounder and defender unfortunately. I know he is an equally bad shooter, but I would like to see Cope start alongside Judah and have JJ and Maliq come off the bench first. Cope would at least provide better rebounding and defense and allow Judah to play off ball. I think some more playing time might help Cope calm down and reduce some of his bad TOs. Really hoping Westry is back soon and can slide into that starting spot...JJ is still a work in progress it seems.

At this point, I wonder if Red has considered not starting JJ and reducing his min? He doesn't provide much offense and I don't think he is a great rebounder and defender unfortunately. I know he is an equally bad shooter, but I would like to see Cope start alongside Judah and have JJ and Maliq come off the bench first. Cope would at least provide better rebounding and defense and allow Judah to play off ball. I think some more playing time might help Cope calm down and reduce some of his bad TOs. Really hoping Westry is back soon and can slide into that starting spot...JJ is still a work in progress it seems.
I’m sure he won’t because spacing might get worse but I’d rather start Maliq. It might result in Maliq playing close to 40 minutes but a lineup of Judah Taylor bell maliq mcloud is intriguing to me.

I think JJ should use that dribble pull up jumpers more. His distance shooting is obviously horrendous but in my head I feel like that short jumper works.
He made a pull up mid range shot last night at a key moment in the game when we were only up 3. He shoud definitely focus on improving his ability to finish at the rim and short pull up jumpers.

He made a pull up mid range shot last night at a key moment in the game when we were only up 3. He shoud definitely focus on improving his ability to finish at the rim and short pull up jumpers.
Wish he made shots earlier in game would not have been so close.

I don’t think he’s considered it because he continuously leads the team in minutes, not saying he shouldn’t consider it.

He seems slower than last year too. He seems to struggle getting past people. I recall last year him blowing past our D. Well, I guess it was our D.

Would be amazing if he got his MOJO back. He is certainly being given ample rope to do so.

He seems slower than last year too. He seems to struggle getting past people. I recall last year him blowing past our D. Well, I guess it was our D.

Would be amazing if he got his MOJO back. He is certainly being given ample rope to do so.
How often do players who’ve lost it just get it back?

work, simply needs to retrain his body. Also check the eyes. could need contacts. Hard to know for sure but there is no substitute for putting in the work and I heat he is doing that. Sometimes you lose confidence and you know you will mess before you shoot, the mental part of the game always needs work. It is not as simple as i have been always able to do this so I still can. If only that were true we would all be our best self all the time.

MOJO? You can definitely get it back. See Lazarus Sims for 1 example.

Quickness? Probably cannot get that back, depending on what's causing the loss of quickness.

Starling can get "it" back (whatever that was) or he may have been overrated or permanently impacted by injuries. What is not sustainable is him playing this poorly and playing over 30 mpg. Good test for Red and for us to learn about Red.

JJ’s shooting form is still blowing my mind. I understand what’s going on now better than I did, but for a sprain to cause a long lasting drastic change from a good shooting form to what he’s doing now is absolutely wild. I don’t understand how the form’s not fixed. Sprains don’t usually result in the ‘relearn how to do shoulder things’ phenomenon.

I can’t move past this. Lock him in a gym with a video of his old shooting form. Tell him he can come out either when he shoots like the video, his arm falls off, or he dies of exhaustion.
An old school mindset that seems crazy in this age in basketball but probably the most effective thing. Same goes for the team when in comes to rebounding. Until we see everyone find a body and get physical boxing out we will run your asses "straight into the ground"-Bobby Knight. This team needs some old school toughness just hard to implement in 2023.

Wow, it's crazy how people see things differently while looking at the same thing. The one big strength I've seen with JJ is how fast he blows by people with the ball in his hands

Wow, it's crazy how people see things differently while looking at the same thing. The one big strength I've seen with JJ is how fast he blows by people with the ball in his hands
You might be misunderstanding me. He doesn't look as fast as last year. Comparing him in the ND SU game from last year to 8 SU games this year.

His speed looked elite last year. It doesn't look elite this year. To me.

I am not saying he cannot get by people. He can. Just not really the quad 1 people.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Diamondmakr

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom