JMA Dome: The Next Phase | Page 6 | Syracusefan.com

JMA Dome: The Next Phase

Look, I'm tired of arguing this with you. My original point was a school took down an entire football stadium, and then built a brand new one next to it, in less time. This is ineptitude on its very face. Or, the school wants to save a couple of pennies, because they don't give a rats azz if their fans do without for the extra time.
apples and oranges.. they had tons of money , they had the space to do it, it wasnt multi use to fit around other sports and it was also a flat concrete deck. They worked 16 hrs day and its a simple flat deck construction.

On top of that its on a major fault line and could get taken out one day.

In more important matters….we gonna get a party deck in the corner?

Think long term. Many don’t want to be packed into their seats like sardines for 4 hours and are more concerned with being able to pee and get more beer whenever needed. Get those people a corner, please!

Agree. JMA is the premiere company in the world in this field. They did the same setup at Sofi, which hosted the Super Bowl last year.

This isn’t like setting up a wireless router in your house. There are videos and technical papers out there if you want to educate yourself and gain even a tiny bit of knowledge on this topic.

JMA knew it was going to take a year to implement. They have been consistent on this. When it is done, we will have the only college venue with this setup. And that will likely be the case for years and years.
there are 4 pieces to getting this done
1) design. I would think they have that conceptual work done
2) supply of the parts
3) installation. This is a variable that they have control over. maybe to do some things they need days of equipment set up and with this general use all the time thats hard to find time.. But given the teams level of play and attendance larges parts of the inside bowl could be blocked off. We have never seen any real details on what they expect to do so who knows.
4) tweaking.. You dont know until you know. Maybe they have done installation on one end and found something lacking and it requires some changes. With hold old the existing wifi is and the use of newer 5G stuff you would think some of this could be done and be tested in large parts of the dome in parallel with installation but again we dont know.

I would think given JMAs status in this area they would be some detailed tracking of the project just to show it off when its done.. Maybe we get a slick video down the road detailing things.

In more important matters….we gonna get a party deck in the corner?

Think long term. Many don’t want to be packed into their seats like sardines for 4 hours and are more concerned with being able to pee and get more beer whenever needed. Get those people a corner, please!
Make it an event and people come. Look at how baseball stadiums have done it. Lots of space to hang even if you dont care about the game. Gotta give people something other than what they can watch on tv. You could have that party deck / beer garden run by a central New York brewery. Lots of things can be done with some creativity.

I think there is a tendency to overestimate the importance of our project to JMA who as stated previously, has already done the Wi-Fi for the new multi-billion dollar stadium that houses two NFL teams and was site of the Superbowl. Yes it has their name on it, and that’s good for us because it should mean they will do a good job. It may mean that they try some things they haven’t done yet. It may mean they work a bit harder to solve little blips, like how it acts in an enclosed stadium, or how all the aluminum benches affected it. How are the new seats being installed so they can know how that will affect it. Where to mount the boosters and power transformers to get the appropriate power to the right spots at the right voltage. There is a year of planning alone that goes into this and then install time and know how. What if the concrete is old and flakes when they try to shoot a hilti into it so they now have to drill and epoxy instead which takes more time? Material shortages are real! It is the metal itself, or the microchips that control all the motors and mechanisms that are needed. Micron is building a chip manufacturing facility in the US for that reason. It happens that they are putting it within crow flight of the Dome, but that is only one example of the reality of shortages.

So many things could be happening that we can’t control or know.

A year? Really? Does anyone else find this preposterous? I mean, Stanford demolished their old football stadium, then built a brand new one next door in less time.

A year I think it’s very reasonable.

It took them several years to install similar technology into the SOFI Stadium in LA

Originally I think they thought it was a quick and easy job because the structure already existed. However, once they started they quickly realized that the job had a few more obstacles than they originally thought and why they are thinking it’ll take about a full year from when they started to finish.

I think there is a tendency to overestimate the importance of our project to JMA who as stated previously, has already done the Wi-Fi for the new multi-billion dollar stadium that houses two NFL teams and was site of the Superbowl. Yes it has their name on it, and that’s good for us because it should mean they will do a good job. It may mean that they try some things they haven’t done yet. It may mean they work a bit harder to solve little blips, like how it acts in an enclosed stadium, or how all the aluminum benches affected it. How are the new seats being installed so they can know how that will affect it. Where to mount the boosters and power transformers to get the appropriate power to the right spots at the right voltage. There is a year of planning alone that goes into this and then install time and know how. What if the concrete is old and flakes when they try to shoot a hilti into it so they now have to drill and epoxy instead which takes more time? Material shortages are real! It is the metal itself, or the microchips that control all the motors and mechanisms that are needed. Micron is building a chip manufacturing facility in the US for that reason. It happens that they are putting it within crow flight of the Dome, but that is only one example of the reality of shortages.

So many things could be happening that we can’t control or know.

Ding ding ding ding ding we have a winner here

the big unknown is how the whole thing will work with people in dome.. they can do all the testing they want with an empty place and we have an issue none of the big stadiums have.. How often do they have to deal with large amounts of empty seats. In a bad yr some of those stadiums have 75% capacity for a bad team. we have 50% for fball and then bball its more like 60-70% empty even when we have good crowds. they may have to figure out a way to something thats much more variable because then you add in lax crowds or womens game and the place is even less filled..

if they do all this now and then the new seats change it again thats a ton of work.

This may be just like the sound where it takes a long time to get it tweaked and we may have large areas where its great and others where it sucks.. Just like cell phone where 100 yds you go from 5 bars to zero.

the big unknown is how the whole thing will work with people in dome.. they can do all the testing they want with an empty place and we have an issue none of the big stadiums have.. How often do they have to deal with large amounts of empty seats. In a bad yr some of those stadiums have 75% capacity for a bad team. we have 50% for fball and then bball its more like 60-70% empty even when we have good crowds. they may have to figure out a way to something thats much more variable because then you add in lax crowds or womens game and the place is even less filled..

if they do all this now and then the new seats change it again thats a ton of work.

This may be just like the sound where it takes a long time to get it tweaked and we may have large areas where its great and others where it sucks.. Just like cell phone where 100 yds you go from 5 bars to zero.
I have to give big props to JMA on this for one thing. There have to be technical people who work there who are on the board checking out these threads that know a lot about what is going on/where things stand and they have avoided posting anything on the board about it. I assume JMA management really wanted things that way but it is rare to have absolutely no leaks come out.

I hope someone has some news to share sometime soon. Hopefully good news. ;)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KD95

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom