Joe Adam | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Joe Adam

We have one games results. Pump. The. Brakes.
Pumping the brakes is no fun... reading this board this week I think we should shut down the program or got to D2 because we almost lost to Nova. At the very least we should fire the whole coaching staff because clearly they can't coach a lick.

I agree that no man with two names shall be trusted. Lets let the sample size increase (and have our RG back) before we get so drastic.

John Miller does need some serious developing though. We can judge Adam directly on Miller's performance.

Meh. Let's see how the offensive line performs when we get starting caliber players like Robinson and Palmer back before we start viliifying Adam's coaching apptitude.

To be fair our OL really can't use the injury excuse for getting dominated by an FCS team. Our 2nd stringers should still be better then their starts who we outweighed by at least 50lbs a position.

I also don't want to hear how they tricked us with their stack defense. This wasn't a surprise. Isn't it the coaches responsibility to game plan for that?

To be fair our OL really can't use the injury excuse for getting dominated by an FCS team. Our 2nd stringers should still be better then their starts who we outweighed by at least 50lbs a position.

I also don't want to hear how they tricked us with their stack defense. This wasn't a surprise. Isn't it the coaches responsibility to game plan for that?

Lots of truisms / attributions in that post.

Getting dominated...
Our second stringers should be better...

We weren't "dominated" -- we just didn't hold up at the point of attack as well as most of us expected. I'm sure that had a lot to do with having two interior linemen starting caliber players not suiting up, and other players shifting out of position to compensate on short notice. I'm quite comfortable suggessting that we pick up that extra yard the OL couldn't pick up with Robinson and / or Palmer playing instead of playing with a patchwork OL.

Also, while I agree on paper with your claim about the second stringers, I'm not sure that we're qute there yet. We have maybe 7-8 players in the OL rotation legitimately right now, not a full 10 figuring into the game plan currently. 2 of them weren't playing. When healthy, I think we have the raw materials to field an above average OL [not an exceptional one, but one that is better than average]. We weren't healthy game 1.

Last edited:

I don't think it was a "trick" - I think that a combination of factors made it difficult. It's tough to use your weight and strength correctly if you're out of position. Miller, Wilson, and Lasker were all in a position they weren't accustomed to and made some mistakes. It's on the coaches for sure - but I don't think it was a lack of talent. It was a perfect storm.

Also - I think smaller quicker guys can be tricky when you're used to blocking big guys. Similar to the effect small quick undersized centers can flummox true 6'11 centers in basketball.

^^^ This. Our line, even with our second stringer plugs, should have been better than theirs. Blaming their defensive scheme is a copout.

I will say this though, anyone calling for a coaches head, especially a new coach in his first game, after one game is misguided. And on the other side of the coin, anyone saying noticeable issues should just be ignored because it's only one game is just as misguided.

I'm most concerned with the poor individual performances we saw out of our starters on the line against an inferior opponent. Hopefully this was a wake up call for all and just a case of being over confident.

I remember people ragging on the O Line coach a lot last year after the first two games. Somehow that will be different, I guess

Then at the end of the year, he was a real asset. Probably best to give coach Joe just a little more time. At least 3 games before we run him out of town.

I believe you , didn't you along with storange just win the ESM class of 79 reunion golf tournament.

I know people won't like it but we have the coaches we have because of title IX. If SU could pay better we would be able to have coaches that can recruit and the actually coach.
What? Are we the only school impacted by Title IX? This makes no sense- our budget for the AD is what it is b/c we are a private school, not because of women's teams.

Didn't make them any less of a misstep, right? I'm not talking results or opponents. Talking relative sharpness and execution. Week one is notorious for mistakes no matter who you are... that was my point.
Meh. Results are overrated

Mysogyny dies hard.
Excuse me? If you're calling me a misogynist you're sadly way off base. I have two daughters who both participate in sports. Facts are facts, SU is a private school without access to state funding that other public institutions have access too. Title IX applies equally to all schools. If you don't get that simple truth I'd suggest you stay off boards like this one before you embarrass yourself any further.

Excuse me? If you're calling me a misogynist you're sadly way off base. I have two daughters who both participate in sports. Facts are facts, SU is a private school without access to state funding that other public institutions have access too. Title IX applies equally to all schools. If you don't get that simple truth I'd suggest you stay off boards like this one before you embarrass yourself any further.
No, not you!! All the others who are blaming Title IX. You are spot on.

Yes you can. Top 25 teams have guys that can recruit AND coach. It's why they're in the top 25.

I meant you can't both say you don't care how good a coach a guy is because he's an ace recruiter, and then come into the season and demand he be fired for not being a great coach.

Turns out I for whatever reason had Acosta in my head when I made that post (not Adam) but the point itself still stands.

As to your point, yes we want to get to that point, but right now we are not yet there.

tep624 said:
^^^ This. Our line, even with our second stringer plugs, should have been better than theirs. Blaming their defensive scheme is a copout. I will say this though, anyone calling for a coaches head, especially a new coach in his first game, after one game is misguided. And on the other side of the coin, anyone saying noticeable issues should just be ignored because it's only one game is just as misguided. I'm most concerned with the poor individual performances we saw out of our starters on the line against an inferior opponent. Hopefully this was a wake up call for all and just a case of being over confident.

I don't get how it's a cop out. I've said it's part of the overall picture of what happened. Not the main reason - but a contributing reason.

Let's say you studied tons of tape, came up with good answers fir everything you saw and then they do stuff they never do? And you have two new starters and a freshman QB?

It's on the coaches - but the circumstances were kind of nuts.

I guess we miss Macky Macpherson a lot more than we think.

But then remember when Macky was a freshman and how he was getting his a$$ handed to him,but he got a lot better with time

Title IX has nothing to do with the FB coaches salaries, and I didn't mean to imply that it did. SU has the $ to invest across the board, but maybe cutting some of the administrative dead weight would help.

By the way paying Gary Gait 2-3x more than any M. Lax HC isn't what I call paying market value. I don't care what he was making before SU- he's incredibly overpaid in terms of college Olympic sports coaches.

I agree totally with the administrative part of what you said. Dead weight should always be cut wherever it may be.

As far as market value is concerned, the job IMO is irrelevant. If I am making 300K a year digging ditches and you say to me "you are a handsome lad, want to do some modeling but I can only pay you 150K?". Guess what, I am still digging ditches. I didn't mean it as to what the market value of a college lax coach, I meant it as to what Gait could earn if not coaching. HIS market value. He was making very good money outside of coaching to my understanding. Is he overpaid as a college lax coach, absolutely. Is HE overpaid as to what he could be earning elsewhere in a different industry, maybe not.

I know people won't like it but we have the coaches we have because of title IX. If SU could pay better we would be able to have coaches that can recruit and the actually coach.
Title IX has nothing to do with it; Syracuse is a private school with limited resources as compared to the types of schools that tend to populate the top 25; mostly large flagship state universities with far greater financial resources!