Joe Girard. Love him or hate him, he had a pretty good career | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Joe Girard. Love him or hate him, he had a pretty good career

Since Girard got the last laugh, perhaps we can speak more freely about him now?

I don’t understand why people were rooting for him and Clemson in this tournament. Clemson is a conference rival. Throughout the P.J. Hall era, they’ve been the most obnoxious, annoying, collection of poor sports on SU’s schedule. Girard made the right choice for himself by transferring there. Doesn’t make it any less of a slap to the face to SU and our fan base.

Since Girard got the last laugh, perhaps we can speak more freely about him now?

I don’t understand why people were rooting for him and Clemson in this tournament. Clemson is a conference rival. Throughout the P.J. Hall era, they’ve been the most obnoxious, annoying, collection of poor sports on SU’s schedule. Girard made the right choice for himself by transferring there. Doesn’t make it any less of a slap to the face to SU and our fan base.

I didn’t root for Joe necessarily, I honestly am ambivalent towards him. I just hate the SEC.

Is the guy counting this season?

Kind of weird, if so. Never really hear teams who make a FF brag about making the Sweet 16 that same season.
Yeah, they made the Sweet 16 this season. I wouldn’t call it bragging. They’re listing his accomplishments and it’s not in an unusual way. For example, when you see JB’s Sweet 16 appearances referenced, all of them are included, even the years we made the Elite 8 and beyond.

I was pulling for Clemson hard last night more because I can’t stand Nate Oats and all the slobbering I see by SU fans about him.

% wise Girard beat them all outside of Roe.
Let’s keep it simple. You can pick any outside shooter in SU history. Everyone in this thread would take at least five players ahead of Girard.

McNamara
Rautins
Buddy Boeheim
Southerland
Andrew White

I think most of us would agree on three more, if not another five.

and unfortunately there will be a lot of covid /transfer asterisks in the record books. career is now meaningless.
I was talking about high school. I’m not overly concerned about a once in a lifetime pandemic on college kids.

I was pulling for Clemson hard last night more because I can’t stand Nate Oats and all the slobbering I see by SU fans about him.
The slobbering over Clemson is worse.

Read the subject title it certainly implies that, why write it then. No one even questioned the subject. I was just replying to it. Some people might be backtracking a bit but the negativity was certainly apparent. Sad that he had to go elsewhere to feel the appreciation.

I don’t think Joe’s comments praising the culture at Clemson are a reflection on or implying anything negative about Syracuse. He wouldn’t have stayed here four years if it was. He was simply looking for new life experiences and to live somewhere else. I’m thrilled for him that he had such a great year on a successful team. I agree that he was on flawed teams 2 out of his 3 years here and was forced into a role that didn’t suit him perfectly.

Let’s keep it simple. You can pick any outside shooter in SU history. Everyone in this thread would take at least five players ahead of Girard.

McNamara
Rautins
Buddy Boeheim
Southerland
Andrew White

Hard to say. They played on different types of teams. Some guys did It longer. Some had one great year(Southerland). Some were good for 2.5(Rautins). White overall was probably the best one on one.

The slobbering over Clemson is worse.
I feel nothing either way about them. It’s annoying they’ve beat us as much as they have since we joined the conference, but they are like Nc State in basketball to me.

I feel nothing either way about them. It’s annoying they’ve beat us as much as they have since we joined the conference, but they are like Nc State in basketball to me.
As in Elite 8 teams?

Hard to say. They played on different types of teams. Some guys did It longer. Some had one great year(Southerland). Some were good for 2.5(Rautins). White overall was probably the best one on one.
You would take Girard over one of those guys?

I see it like this, I’ve had not one moment of enjoyment in March in 4 years, I think it’s fair to just enjoy basketball and with Joe it’s a familiar face.

He proved a lot to so many people this year, he needed this to show what he was capable of in the right spot on the roster.

I enjoyed their run.

As in Elite 8 teams?
Like I don’t get worked up about them. It’s just another game on the schedule. I don’t have disdain for them or their fans like I do UNC or Duke. I could say the same thing about Wake or Georgia Tech. Honestly it’s refreshing to see different schools make runs that haven’t been good in a while.

Like I don’t get worked up about them. It’s just another game on the schedule. I don’t have disdain for them or their fans like I do UNC or Duke. I could say the same thing about Wake or Georgia Tech. Honestly it’s refreshing to see different schools make runs that haven’t been good in a while.
That says more about how we don’t fit in this conference than anything.

McNamara
Rautins
Buddy Boeheim
Southerland
Andrew White

Lets add Kid, Sweet D, and Marty

As much as all of us “locals” to Joe were happy to be able to see him stay close to home and play at Syracuse, deep down we knew it wasn’t the best fit for him. Playing at the top of the zone isn’t made for a 6’1” player with joes foot speed and not great leaping ability. We always knew if set up properly, he could shoot the lights out! Coach K called him “the best shooter in the country” when he took his Duke visit. So he gets to campus and JAB realizes 2 games into his career that Carey couldn’t cut it at the point guard spot. Joe gets thrown in there which wasn’t ideal. Then sophomore year comes around and a certain player emerges that can both handle the rock and distribute the ball, but JAB couldn’t play them all together because even at 6’6” Buddy was unable to play the 3 because he couldn’t rebound on the defensive end. What a team we could have had that season and the next year, but we all know what happened that summer. Joe’s junior year comes around and he shoots lights out, while handling point guard duties which is really tough. Joe’s senior year at his natural position he once again has a great shooting year.

Then he transfers and is put into a great scenario for himself and hits 105 threes at a 41% clip. And unfortunately for us, we got stung twice by him and Clemson on even more efficient nights than what he did over the course of an entire season.

People will always hate on Joe because of his athletic limitations and how he was used here (not his choice) but overall combined with his assist numbers, there have only been 3 Division I players in the last 30 years that have scored 2,000+ points, hit 400+ threes, and had 500+ assists. **** Joe did it in 5 seasons ****

Last edited:
As much as all of us “locals” to Joe were happy to be able to see him stay close to home and play at Syracuse, deep down we knew it wasn’t the best fit for him. Playing at the top of the zone isn’t made for a 6’1” player with joes foot speed and not great leaping ability. We always knew if set up properly, he could shoot the lights out! Coach K called him “the best shooter in the country” when he took his Duke visit. So he gets to campus and JAB realizes 2 games into his career that Carey couldn’t cut it at the point guard spot. Joe gets thrown in there which wasn’t ideal. Then sophomore year comes around and a certain player emerges that can both handle the rock and distribute the ball, but JAB couldn’t play them all together because even at 6’6” Buddy was unable to play the 3 because he couldn’t rebound on the defensive end. What a team we could have had that season and the next year, but we all know what happened that summer. Joe’s junior year comes around and he shoots lights out, while handling point guard duties which is really tough. Joe’s senior year at his natural position he once again has a great shooting year.

Then he transfers and is put into a great scenario for himself and hits 105 threes at a 41% clip. And unfortunately for us, we got stung twice by him and Clemson on even more efficient nights than what he did over the course of an entire season.

People will always hate on Joe because of his athletic limitations and how he was used here (not his choice) but overall combined with his assist numbers, there have only been 3 Division I players in the last 30 years that have scored 2,000+ points, hit 400+ threes, and had 500+ assists.
Good summary.

Just one thing: Your final point is a bit misleading, since Girard played five full seasons, when most of the players over the last 30 years played no more than four.

Good summary.

Just one thing: Your final point is a bit misleading, since Girard played five full seasons, when most of the players over the last 30 years played no more than four.
Good point. I just added an *

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cuse702

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom