Joe Girard-Trevor Cooney | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Joe Girard-Trevor Cooney

Cooney would often work his butt off to get a shot to take. Sometimes you would wonder why he would take the shot as he was a bit out of control off the catch. But Girard just strolls around and pops long range three's often contested, and doesn't work harder to get better looks which I find even more frustrating.

Two very different players. Trevor was a million times more athletic. Joe I would say is the better shooter.

The thing I have said in the past and what I'd like to see is to get Joe off the ball. Let him run through screens on the back line and free him up for some catch and shoot chances.(basically what Trevor did for four years) He is really good at one thing...why not just get him in spots to do the one thing he does very well? If his shots aren't falling in a particular game, there really isn't much reason for him to see considerable minutes.

Last year he was far and away our best option at PG, but I just don't think it's where he belongs. Now that he is most definitely not our best PG, he should move off the ball, which will help him and the team!

Sherm reverse-dunked on a breakaway to seal the win vs Georgetown in his final game in the Dome.

Sherm & Joe are the same height.

(And Jonny is several inches shorter... )
I am the same height as Spud Webb. I rarely dunk.

Two very different players. Trevor was a million times more athletic. Joe I would say is the better shooter.

The thing I have said in the past and what I'd like to see is to get Joe off the ball. Let him run through screens on the back line and free him up for some catch and shoot chances.(basically what Trevor did for four years) He is really good at one thing...why not just get him in spots to do the one thing he does very well? If his shots aren't falling in a particular game, there really isn't much reason for him to see considerable minutes.

Last year he was far and away our best option at PG, but I just don't think it's where he belongs. Now that he is most definitely not our best PG, he should move off the ball, which will help him and the team!

Agreed 144%.

Joe is no longer our clearly best option at PG.
(As he proved himself to be quickly last season, it’s just a quickly proven this year about Kadary)

And he’s not our best SG - that’s clearly Buddy.

There’s no reason Joe can’t come off the bench for say 20 mins a game, such that a Kadary & Buddy each only play 30.

IF he’s having one of those ON FIRE! games, he gets more run.
If not, or if one of the other two is ON FIRE, then he gets less.

This improves our defense, and likely Joe’s shooting, as he won’t have to be on ball 100% of the time anymore.

I was up at SU during Mayfest 2012 (during his redshirt season I believe). I met him at Chuck's and he was the nicest guy. Granted we were (allegedly) a few drinks in at that point, he told me how much he loved Syracuse and felt so glad to be there. It was an adjustment because he said nobody really knew who he was or probably cared who he was at the time. After that, I always supported Trevor no matter how frustrated I got with him.
Yup. Seeing these players as kids and real people and not as professionals can go a long way toward accepting their highs and lows.

Agreed 144%.

Joe is no longer our clearly best option at PG.
(As he proved himself to be quickly last season, it’s just a quickly proven this year about Kadary)

And he’s not our best SG - that’s clearly Buddy.

There’s no reason Joe can’t come off the bench for say 20 mins a game, such that a Kadary & Buddy each only play 30.

IF he’s having one of those ON FIRE! games, he gets more run.
If not, or if one of the other two is ON FIRE, then he gets less.

This improves our defense, and likely Joe’s shooting, as he won’t have to be on ball 100% of the time anymore.

This is the page im on. There will be times when JG is hot, its inevitable, let him run in those cases. There will be times where Buddy or Kadary are playing poorly. He is good insurance off the bench

JGIII’s method of creating shots for himself is moving back towards half court. Cooney ran the baseline would constantly be doing agility drills in the half court set just to get a few extra inches. He missed a lot of those shots still, but at least he wasn’t squaring up from 25+ ft to shoot. I also think its not an apples to apples comparison because Cooney was a pure SG. JGIII is a PG because of his size, when his skill set probably dictates a 2G role.

the thing i remember most about cooney is that SU didn't have any 3 point shooters other than him. and while he played well in other aspects of the game he wasn't dependable enough making his shots.

cooney isn't as good of a shooter joe is. i don't care what stats you show.
Just to help your memory out a little. Freshman year TC was irrelevant, Sophomore year he was the most frequent and best 3 pt shooter but Fair, Ennis and Gbinije took and made their share. Junior year TC shot more but was nowhere near the shooter Gbinije was and Senior year he was joined again by Gbinije and couple guys named Lydon and Richardson. TC took 260 3's that year but Gbinje and Richardson took 233 and 224 respectively. Honestly I would say TC and JG3 are about equal as shooters but as others have pointed out TC's defense and hustle were never questioned.

Joe at this point might be ideal for the backup PG/spark off the bench guy.

He will surely come in and get hot at times, which is always a huge spark when a guy off the bench does that. He also can obviously handle backup PG. Of our 3 guards - he’s the best suited to play both spots. Given how good Kadary has looked and that is a pure PG as far as court vision/court sense...this makes a ton of sense.
This is my view as well. We’re best when we have three effective guards in the rotation (Scoop, Triche, Dion; GMac, Edelin, Duany). I like Joe and he surprised me last season, but his defense needs to improve considerably, as seems to be the consensus here.

Some pretty brutal takes on here. I think there is a lot of revisionist history happening with regards to TCs first 2 seasons at SU as well as how many on this very forum viewed him even as a senior. A lot of people on here wanted to run him out of town right up until his second FF run. He seemingly got blamed for every single loss during his tenure.
I also think it's very unfair to be ready to throw JG in the garbage bin because of 4 games this season when he had a pretty good freshman season - he practically single handedly won the ND game.. He's earned a little more rope. I'm not saying he should start over Kadary once Buddy is back, but he needs to be a part of the rotation.

the thing about cooney was that he was a very inconsistent and awful shooter most of the time. everyone knew how bad it was. you just knew when he shot most of the time it wasn't going to go in.

a least with joe it did go in for he most part freshman year
. and with the poor start this year we're at the "hope in goes in". not the write him off "he sux" and it's not going to go in.
huh ? Cooney's career FG and 3 pt FG percentages were higher than those of JGIII in his freshman year.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom