Joel Berry returning | Syracusefan.com

Joel Berry returning

Seriously, are UNC scholarships 4-year binding agreements? If you leave early, do you forfeit 150% of your salary to the school? Unreal how Duke and UNC gets McD AA for 3-4 years while we get 11 games from Chris McCullough.

Maybe it puts me in the minority but I've never been overly impressed by his play.

Seriously, are UNC scholarships 4-year binding agreements? If you leave early, do you forfeit 150% of your salary to the school? Unreal how Duke and UNC gets McD AA for 3-4 years while we get 11 games from Chris McCullough.
Hey, I thought it was 16 games?

yep Roy pretty much struck gold w Paige then Barry - excellent college players not quite suited for nba... kind of like CJ Fair for us
Or James Southerland or Brandon Triche. Too bad that never happens here. Would love to see what JB could do with those kind of guys.

He's got a perfect fatal flaw. He's too short to be viewed as having NBA potential. But he's still a great college player.

Many of our recent early entrants are the exact opposite. Hugely athletic with lots of upside but still developing. What JB likes is exactly the kind of player that will continue to frustrate us. Tons of potential that we won't get to see develop in an SU uniform while bringing us lots of wins.

Recruiting in college basketball has never been more difficult.

yep Roy pretty much struck gold w Paige then Barry - excellent college players not quite suited for nba... kind of like CJ Fair for us

Yup. At critical positions on the floor as well.

Or James Southerland or Brandon Triche. Too bad that never happens here. Would love to see what JB could do with those kind of guys.
Southerland should have been redshirted his frosh year. He was the missing piece on the '14 team imo .

Southerland should have been redshirted his frosh year. He was the missing piece on the '14 team imo .

My first thought was thats silly because he did a prep year in 09. But it's not like he played much in 10 anyway.

The point isn't that we haven't had 4-year guys -- it's that we've had a lot of guys leave w/o scratching the surface while Carolina is literally loaded with 3rd and 4th year players every single year. I mean, we can all pick out exceptions on either side with southerlands and triches (though I'm always surprised that people remember his game so fondly) or with guys leaving unc like Marvin williams or whoever, but the bottom line is they get a ton of guys to stick around for whatever reason. We could use some of that.

He's got a perfect fatal flaw. He's too short to be viewed as having NBA potential. But he's still a great college player.

Many of our recent early entrants are the exact opposite. Hugely athletic with lots of upside but still developing. What JB likes is exactly the kind of player that will continue to frustrate us. Tons of potential that we won't get to see develop in an SU uniform while bringing us lots of wins.

This is a great post, in particular your last line. I keep arguing that we need to have more continuity in the program, but I have no idea how exactly you make that happen. Somebody needs to get with roy this summer and talk with him though. As much as we rag on him on this board, the dude has built a culture that makes it cool to stick around. Some of it has to do with the physical makeup of some of the players, but even if that's the case, let's study who he's recruiting. There has to be something we can learn.

Seems like it's been awhile though...

Tyler Ennis was like 5'11" buck 80 soaking wet...

This is a great post, in particular your last line. I keep arguing that we need to have more continuity in the program, but I have no idea how exactly you make that happen. Somebody needs to get with roy this summer and talk with him though. As much as we rag on him on this board, the dude has built a culture that makes it cool to stick around. Some of it has to do with the physical makeup of some of the players, but even if that's the case, let's study who he's recruiting. There has to be something we can learn.

Roy, Mike Brey, Ricky have it figured out. Buzz is moving in that direction also.

I honestly believe it is the scheme they are in at SU. Unfair or not I believe there is that zone stigma scouts, agents, friends, and family are in their ear about. The offensive side of the ball isn't pretty either. They say bye-bye as soon as possible. Not everyone needed the money like McCullough. Also, Mal and Lydon both probably saw the lack of pieces and/or empty roster they were staring at for the following season and said..."gulp." I'm sure Lydon loves playing C here. Ennis has been discussed ad nauseam about making the right move since he would've slipped down the draft board the following year and already reached his ceiling, imo. It's like the perfect storm working against us.

I honestly believe it is the scheme they are in at SU. Unfair or not I believe there is that zone stigma scouts, agents, friends, and family are in their ear about. The offensive side of the ball isn't pretty either. They say bye-bye as soon as possible. Not everyone needed the money like McCullough. Also, Mal and Lydon both probably saw the lack of pieces and/or empty roster they were staring at for the following season and said..."gulp." I'm sure Lydon loves playing C here. Ennis has been discussed ad nauseam about making the right move since he would've slipped down the draft board the following year and already reached his ceiling, imo. It's like the perfect storm working against us.

NOBODY has a lifelong dream of playing college hoops.
They dream of playing in the NBA.
And getting there as quickly as possible.

The only things Mal & Lydon saw staring at them the next season, was the fat stacks of cash they'd earn as potential 1st round draft picks, vs playing for free for another year, and risking having their draft status decline - which is what happens to about 98% of guys who come back, when they could have left sooner.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom