Joel Berry returning | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Joel Berry returning

Given that the first option is by far the norm, the first guy.

The guys who fit that 2nd description are as scarce as hen's teeth.

There are 30 guys who get drafted in the first round, each and every year.
Some of them go on to earn massive 2nd contracts. And many don't.
But they ALL earned millions on that first contact. GUARANTEED.

Guys who stay 4 years, get in somehow (likely not as a first rounder, since Seniors are almost NEVER drafted in the 1st anymore)) and play really well, and then get the massive 2nd contract, are like once every few years.

Which of those is the better odds?

There are more than you think. Right now who is on the better track to make more money, Malachi or Malcom Brogdon?

There is zero evidence that going back to college is better for long-term player development.

And logically it makes sense, that being able to practice and play full-time, with professional-level staff and competition, would be more beneficial for development
vs.
a limited amount of practice time in college (and having to attend those pesky classes - or at least pretending to, if you go to UNC or UK :p), and lesser competition.

You can't get more for longer, if you never get there in the first place.
Getting drafted as high and as quickly as possible, is Job One.
You don't get a 2nd contract if you never got the 1st.

But there's zero evidence either way. Or, more clearly, there is no evidence to suggest that getting to the NBA and not getting on the floor in games (for the most part) is a better way to develop. I'd argue that getting there ready to play is huge in terms of fashioning a career. The exception would be for a player with a remarkably rare skill set. If you're enormous like Gobert or even for a kid like grant who's offense is still atrocious, at least he's a 6'-8" athletic freak. A kid like Mali, for example, is a fine a dozen unless he can score consistently upon entering the NBA.

To those who think playing college ball isn't a big deal - only 1% of high school basketball players end up playing D1 basketball, only 3.4% in total make it to D1, 2 or 3.

Men's Basketball

I would have given up left arm to play sports at a place like Syracuse, granted that would have made it harder to play that sport, but you get the point. Some people don't realize how good these kids have it.

There are more than you think. Right now who is on the better track to make more money, Malachi or Malcom Brogdon?

Guaranteed? Mali, in a landslide. And it's not even close.
Brogdon has to play, and play well for 3 full years, to earn what Mali is guaranteed to get for 2, regardless of if or how well he plays.

But - you're moving the goalposts here.

Brogdon NEVER had a realistic option of leaving early, so of course he stayed.
(I mean, yeah, he could have "left early" like Devo and Harris did)

How come KrisJo, Triche, CJ, etc aren't tearing it up in the Association now??
They all stayed 4 years, and were each The Man their last year, at an elite College level.
Shouldn't that have helped them fully develop their skills such that they'd be crushing it as Pros now?? ;)

Malachi Richardson
Sacramento Kings
malachi-richardson.png

Position: GBorn: 01/05/96Height: 6-6 / 1.98Weight:195 lbs. / 88.5 kg.Salary: $1,439,880
" > TWEET
EMAIL
PROJECTED SALARY

Key: Player Option / Team Option / Qualifying Offer / Amnestied

SEASON SACRAMENTO KINGS
2016/17 $1,439,880
2017/18 $1,504,560
2018/19 $1,569,360
2019/20 $2,581,597
2020/21 $3,738,152

vs:

Malcolm Brogdon
Milwaukee Bucks
malcolm-brogdon.png

Position: GBorn: 12/11/92Height: 6-5 / 1.96Weight:225 lbs. / 102.1 kg.Salary: $875,000
" > TWEET
EMAIL
PROJECTED SALARY

SEASON MILWAUKEE BUCKS
2016/17 $875,000
2017/18 $905,249
2018/19 $1,050,262
2019/20 $0
2020/21 $0
2021/22 $0

Guaranteed? Mali, in a landslide. And it's not even close.
Brogdon has to play, and play well for 3 full years, to earn what Mali is guaranteed to get for 2, regardless of if or how well he plays.

But - you're moving the goalposts here.

Brogdon NEVER had a realistic option of leaving early, so of course he stayed.
(I mean, yeah, he could have "left early" like Devo and Harris did)

How come KrisJo, Triche, CJ, etc aren't tearing it up in the Association now??
They all stayed 4 years, and were each The Man their last year, at an elite College level.
Shouldn't that have helped them fully develop their skills such that they'd be crushing it as Pros now?? ;)

Malachi Richardson
Sacramento Kings
malachi-richardson.png

Position: GBorn: 01/05/96Height: 6-6 / 1.98Weight:195 lbs. / 88.5 kg.Salary: $1,439,880
" > TWEET
EMAIL
PROJECTED SALARY

SEASON SACRAMENTO KINGS
2016/17 $1,439,880
2017/18 $1,504,560
2018/19 $1,569,360
2019/20 $2,581,597
2020/21 $3,738,152

vs:

Malcolm Brogdon
Milwaukee Bucks
malcolm-brogdon.png

Position: GBorn: 12/11/92Height: 6-5 / 1.96Weight:225 lbs. / 102.1 kg.Salary: $875,000
" > TWEET
EMAIL
PROJECTED SALARY

SEASON MILWAUKEE BUCKS
2016/17 $875,000
2017/18 $905,249
2018/19 $1,050,262
2019/20 $0
2020/21 $0
2021/22 $0

Brogdon is going to probably be the roy, Malachi has a long way to go to catch up to what Brogdon did.

Brogdon is going to probably be the roy, Malachi has a long way to go to catch up to what Brogdon did.

MCW was the ROY. Your point being? :blah:
How do his odds of a fat 2nd contract look right about now?
Based on being a ROY and all? :rolleyes:

Meanwhile, it is INDISPUTABLE that Mali will make more $ than Brogdon over the next 2 years. GUARANTEED.

And - AGAIN - it wasn't as if Brogdon was ever, EVER, going to leave early, because nobody wanted to draft him then.

You are comparing apples and walruses.

He was measured at 6'1" without shoes 6'2 1/2" with shoes at the combine. 180 is spot on.

A buddy of mine txted me in Hawaii when they were there. Called bs on the height listing.

My bigger point is there really doesn't seem to be much difference with him, Berry, and Paige. Measurables aren't off the charts (like a Mali or Grant).

Meanwhile, it is INDISPUTABLE that Mali will make more $ than Brogdon over the next 2 years. GUARANTEED.

And - AGAIN - it wasn't as if Brogdon was ever, EVER, going to leave early, because nobody wanted to draft him then.

That doesn't mean the same thing is going to happen to Brogdon, Mali is making more than Brogdon right now, but lets not go overboard, he is making 1.5 a year, which in terms of the Nba isn't a whole lot.

That doesn't mean the same thing is going to happen to Brogdon, Mali is making more than Brogdon right now, but lets not go overboard, he is making 1.5 a year, which in terms of the Nba isn't a whole lot.

It's $1.5M more than he woulda made at Syracuse this year. ;)

Do you keep the goalposts on sliders, just so you can move them around more quickly and easily? :p

It's $1.5M more than he woulda made at Syracuse this year. ;)

Do you keep the goalposts on sliders, just so you can move them around more quickly and easily? :p

Well obviously, but you have to look at what a player earns over the entirety of his career. That 1.5 mil doesn't last as long as you think, like I and many other have stated, its all about the 2nd contract. Mediocre players are getting 10 mil a year.

Tyler Ennis was like 5'11" buck 80 soaking wet...

Tyler was measured 6'1 w/o shoes and 6'2.5 w shoes at the combine, and a 6'7.3 wingspan to boot, actually very decent size for an NBA pg

A buddy of mine txted me in Hawaii when they were there. Called bs on the height listing.

My bigger point is there really doesn't seem to be much difference with him, Berry, and Paige. Measurables aren't off the charts (like a Mali or Grant).

It would be fair to say that the staff, everyone here and most recruiting gurus would have bet a lot of money on Ennis being a multi-year college player. That's pretty tough to argue against.

Seniors are almost NEVER drafted in the 1st anymore.

There were five seniors drafted in the first round last year. Obviously the league loves it's freshmen and its foreigners, but it's not really all that rare. I mean, that's 1 of every six picks.

There were five seniors drafted in the first round last year. Obviously the league loves it's freshmen and its foreigners, but it's not really all that rare. I mean, that's 1 of every six picks.

Conversely, 5 out of 6 were NOT seniors.
Thanks for playing.

Not sure this is all that relevant a discussion b/c as you point out Brogdon didn't have much of an opportunity to leave earlier, but it absolutely is a relevant discussion in terms of pointing out how important two things are: A) being ready to play in the NBA from day 1 and B) the importance of the second contract.

Guaranteed money is awesome -- no question. But if you aren't ready to play and you aren't a unicorn in terms of size/athleticism then those first two years might be all you get. Great money and life-changing for almost all of these guys? Absolutely.

But if we're looking at this as a business decision, Brogdan had a great season and if it continues that way while Mali struggles, he is going to absolutely dwarf him in earnings. Not sure how you can completely discount that?

And, for that matter, if Brogdon couldn't leave b/c the NBA wasn't interested, wouldn't it stand to reason to suggest he actually developed in college?

The bottom line is that I don't blame kids for leaving when looking at earning $1M in a season, but that doesn't make it the right career decision and it absolutely doesn't necessarily make it a good decision developmentally.

In fact, if you look at the seniors drafted, they acquitted themselves pretty well in Year 1 -- Heild was great, and all the others played well.

Conversely, 5 out of 6 were NOT seniors.
Thanks for playing.

First of all, these kids can leave whenever they want. Second of all no one is saying they have to stay four years and be seniors. Third, you said seniors almost never get drafted in the first round and it happened five times in the last draft. Not sure where your mic drop comes in brutha.

Last edited:
I'm sure Brogdon wouldn't have booked it out of Cville as fast as he could if he was ever better than the second round draft pick he was after playing there four years.

I mean, come on.

What people also overlook is that 16 of the 60 NBA picks last year (27%) were International players who never even played college ball. Actually 26 foreign born players (over 43%) were drafted overall, 15 or 50% in the first round.

There are currently 113 foreign born players out of 420 players or 27% in the NBA. The demographics of the NBA are changing and changing very fast. Less and less American born players are being drafted, less sticking in the NBA. There has to be a reason these players are becoming more and more desirable. If I was in the business, I'd take the time to find out why.

Despite the new 'test the waters' rule enacted last year to curb 'unready' players from leaving, a record number of 30 early entry players went undrafted. The previous record of undrafted early entry players was 17. Lots of delusion to go around.

I'm sure Brogdon wouldn't have booked it out of Cville as fast as he could if he was ever better than the second round draft pick he was after playing there four years.

I mean, come on.
Thanks, Malcolm. Now every NBA team will be scouring that senior class for a second round pick who ends up as a Rookie of the Year candidate.

I mean, come on.

I don't remember all of the mock drafts the past couple of years, but I'm sure at some point he could have been a 2nd round pick, here is a crazy thought, maybe the kid loved college.

Not appearing on any mock drafts is a pretty good indicator that he wouldn't.

Discussing why he stayed is sort of missing the point, IMO. That he stayed and entered the league as a polished player despite his second-round status and is well on his way to potentially earning a big second deal is the interesting part. I don't blame Mali for leaving and it very well could have been the 'right' decision. The seemingly universal viewpoint that somehow you get better b/c you're practicing against really good players and the idea that your draft status should be the only factor in your decision, simply don't hold water with me.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom