JoePa "retiring" at end of season...Official(merged threads) | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

JoePa "retiring" at end of season...Official(merged threads)

This is total BS. The B1G should kick PSU out. Anyone who has PSU scheduled OOC should CXL the games. Any school that continues to be associated with PSU is saying that PSU's actions are acceptable. They need to be held accountable!!!!!

To reiterate a comment someone made yesterday, Penn State has done more in 5 days to protect its football coach than it did in 13 years to protect the children that Sandusky preyed upon.

What a disgusting institution.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk

I think that outside pressure will be too extreme and will he won't make it to the end of the season.

Every time I start to calm down about this story, PSU does or reveals something even more outrageous. Which sends me into a tizzy all over again. A rally last night and a victory lap coming Saturday. Unbelievable.

If the scene outside JoePa's house last night is any indication, get ready to be in more of a tizzy Saturday at Noon, cuz they are going to cheer him like no one has ever been cheered before. Its going to be sickening.

Here is some info about children that have been sexually abused. It isn't just about the act itself but also the possible future issues. This is the magnitude that this whole issue takes. Every single person that was involved in any small way at all or had any knowledge at all should be immediately let go. There is no way no how that anyone that has read the GJ testimony and the other articles that have been written with quotes and facts can say with a straight face that Paterno knew nothing for 15 years.

The PSU legacy

He's going to get ripped at every remaining away game he coaches. The fans in Columbus will show him no mercy..

Columbus is brutal on a regular game day. I can't wait to see what they're going to do next week. And Paterno will deserve everything and much more.

Penn State is sickening.

This is total BS. The B1G should kick PSU out. Anyone who has PSU scheduled OOC should CXL the games. Any school that continues to be associated with PSU is saying that PSU's actions are acceptable. They need to be held accountable!!!!!

Couldn't agree more. This is no longer just Sandusky or Paterno or the GA. This is how the institution aided and abetted a pedophile and how they handled it and in many ways covered it up. I will be very disappointed in Cantor and Gross if we don't cancel the series post haste.

If the scene outside JoePa's house last night is any indication, get ready to be in more of a tizzy Saturday at Noon, cuz they are going to cheer him like no one has ever been cheered before. Its going to be sickening.
Surely there must be a very large contingent of PSU fans who are sickened and outraged by this?

Where's the outrage?

I saw a Penn State bumper sticker on a car on my drive to work today and my stomach churned.

That's their precious "brand" now.

I've said for years that Paterno is the most egocentric, narcissistic man in college sports. Who the hell coaches 'til they're 84 years old, other than someone who in their heart of hearts thinks the world revolves around them? If he had a shred of respect for his current seniors he'd walk away today and let them have one last afternoon where it's about them. Of course I bet Paterno couldn't remember the names of 5 of those seniors if asked.

He won't resign today -- he wants his applause, his cheers, his chants of "JoePa". It's disgusting. him.

Surely there must be a very large contingent of PSU fans who are sickened and outraged by this?

It doesn't seem like ta substantial part of the student body isn't. The same student body that was the age of the victim in 2002.

Where's the outrage?

There is outrage. But the people that are going to be in the Stadium Saturday are going to be JoePa supporters. I'm tellin ya right now its going to make you sick.

There is outrage. But the people that are going to be in the Stadium Saturday are going to be JoePa supporters. I'm tellin ya right now its going to make you sick.
Well, hopefully Nebraska opens up a can of whoopass on them, that they won't soon forget.

Followed by ass whippings at Ohio State & Wisconsin.

I think Paterno's announcement was designed to do two things:

1. To pre-empt calls that he be dismissed immediately; and

2. To set himself up as a 'victim' if he is fired now. Maybe he'll have more pep rallies on his lawn (how pathetic was that?).

According to Chris Fowler of ESPN on 'Mike and Mike' this AM, Paterno had already used up what little good will he had left with the Board of Trustees, who had sought his retirement around 2004. He won that skirmish, using sharp elbows all the way.

Don't think they'll let him win this one.

690 west, if he is cheered on saturday, and I agree he will be, PSU will regret it for a long time. That will be played all over the USA. PSU will look like they have turned out to be.

Mostly. However, I'm betting he'll spend the rest of his life in an endless series of interviews with the police/etc. and in depositions.

I wonder about that. I would think they are trying to get as much info as they can without using the 84 year old man who isn't quite of sound mind at this point.

Now McQueary, he should plan to clear his calendar. Assuming Penn State does the right thing, a clear calendar won't be a problem for him.

I think Paterno's announcement was designed to do two things:

1. To pre-empt calls that he be dismissed immediately; and

2. To set himself up as a 'victim' if he is fired now. Maybe he'll have more pep rallies on his lawn (how pathetic was that?).

Yep, this quote from Paterno's statemnent says it all: "At this moment the Board of Trustees should not spend a single minute discussing my status."

I guess, though, that somebody got on the horn with Paterno and his son (who I CAN'T believe is actually a lawyer) and said "uh, guys, let's try to work in some sincere-sounding sympathy for the victims in our public statements, okay." They seem to have gotten away from calling the victims "victims or whatever you call them" or saying that "gee, life is tough when people do certain things to you," as if this is like having their bike stolen.

By the way, Paterno used the words "I" or "my" EIGHTEEN times in that statement.

But, you know, it's all about the kids.

I guess, though, that somebody got on the horn with Paterno and his son (who I CAN'T believe is actually a lawyer) and said "uh, guys, let's try to work in some sincere-sounding sympathy for the victims in our public statements, okay." They seem to have gotten away from calling the victims "victims or whatever you call them" or saying that "gee, life is tough when people do certain things to you," as if this is like having their bike stolen.

That one-two punch of completely out-of-touch and insensitive quotes should have gotten him fired INSTANTLY. No remorse, no regrets. All about HIM - "hey, thanks for coming out!"

I honestly think that this guy is confused by why people are making a big deal about this. His ego is so huge that I don't think he has the capacity to understand (let alone admit) that he made a series of epic mistakes.

I also wonder about the undercurrent of class/race here? Almost like the assaults are not as a big of deal because they involved underprivileged 'at risk' kids and not the type of kids that make up much of the university population. There is a sickening element of dehumanization through this whole story.

Mason

Report by an AP source. Just heard it on Mike and Mike. Will post a link if I come across one.
Ped State continues to make every single PR mistake the catholic church did with it's scandal. Absolutely blind arrogance, I can't believe this will be allowed. These are crimes! Not just some sex scandal, like the national media is reporting. Absolutely infuriating.

The official statement is horrific. This is the best Scott Paterno could come up with?

Some lowlights include:

"That's why I have decided to announce my retirement effective at the end of this season. At this moment the Board of Trustees should not spend a single minute discussing my status."

Translation: Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain. Go about your business.

"They have far more important matters to address."

Translation: I'm not that important, except when I'm winning 409 games, then I'm the ONLY thing that's important.

"I want to make this as easy for them as I possibly can."

Suggestion: I know how you can make it easier, QUIT RIGHT NOW and never set foot on campus again.

"This is a tragedy. It is one of the great sorrows of my life."

React: ONE OF???? ONE OF??? Everything else should pale in comparison you worthless sack of poop.

"With the benefit of hindsight, I wish I had done more."

Translation: "I'm not sorry I did nothing, I'm sorry I got caught doing nothing."

The official statement is horrific. This is the best Scott Paterno could come up with?

Some lowlights include:

"That's why I have decided to announce my retirement effective at the end of this season. At this moment the Board of Trustees should not spend a single minute discussing my status."

Translation: Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain. Go about your business.

"They have far more important matters to address."

Translation: I'm not that important, except when I'm winning 409 games, then I'm the ONLY thing that's important.

"I want to make this as easy for them as I possibly can."

Suggestion: I know how you can make it easier, QUIT RIGHT NOW and never set foot on campus again.

"This is a tragedy. It is one of the great sorrows of my life."

React: ONE OF???? ONE OF??? Everything else should pale in comparison you worthless sack of poop.

"With the benefit of hindsight, I wish I had done more."

Translation: "I'm not sorry I did nothing, I'm sorry I got caught doing nothing."

Someone took notes from the great Jim Tressel.

I wonder about that. I would think they are trying to get as much info as they can without using the 84 year old man who isn't quite of sound mind at this point.

Now McQueary, he should plan to clear his calendar. Assuming Penn State does the right thing, a clear calendar won't be a problem for him.
He's going to be Carlo Gambino, wondering around the streets of State College in his bathrobe with a vacant smile on his face.

I guess I'm in the minority that do actually feel sorry for Paterno. Now I'm not saying he handled the situation as best as he could, or very well for that matter. That said, it truly is sad to see a man who had been so vocal about priding himself on winning the right way to walk away not on his own terms. I just never thought I'd see the day when Joe-Pa would be leaving. He was a staple of college football for almost half a century and his entire coaching catalog will be forever tarnished. Maybe he deserves it, maybe he doesn't but I still do pity him in some ways. He was a mentor and father figure for thousands of players and now he will always be thought of this terrible thing that happened rather than all the good he did for the men on his teams and the sport in general. The man is and always should be a legend.

Let me reiterate that I do think he should have done more and it really is suspect he never checked up on the investigation more and should have done more to prevent the actions from happening rather than almost turning a blind eye.

Now if Sandusky gets convicted, which I assume so, then he can be put to death as far as I'm concerned. Reading the grand jury descriptions of the events were horrifying.

The man is and always should be a legend.

A legend to all pedophiles in the world maybe.

Sorry, but anyone that looks at him as any kind of legend doesn't realize what the man did to many innocent children whose life's are probably messed to some extent if not totally.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseGuy44

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom